ATC: what's the deal with "deals"?

"It’s slang for when a controller loses approved separation"

Not an ATC'er, but the article included this tidbit which agrees with what I've heard it called over the years. Basically two airplanes got too close to trading paint.

I didn't notice the author at first, but went back and realized it was Mr. Paul Berge. I've had the pleasure to meet him and listen to him speak before.

Watch Pushing Tin to see a deal......

We used to call it "stepping in someone else's' grass", but that was back in the 70s, you know, free love, wacky tobacky, etc....

But it meant you vectored a plane into another controller's sector without coordinating it. Now this is Air Force ATC, whereas a "deal" is an FAA deal. Basically sum body done ****ed up!

Last edited:
This is a “deal.”

Operational Error

The definition of an operational error, is an action of an air traffic controller that results in: less than the required minimum separation between two or more aircraft, or between an aircraft and obstacles or an aircraft landing or departing on a runway closed to aircraft.

Back in the day, rumor was that you could only have 3 deals before getting terminated. Don’t know if their was any official policy on it. Now, you’ve got ATSAP and can have as many deals you want! :D

Thanks. I'll have to look it up.

Why is it called a "deal"?

I have never heard when it was coined or what the metaphor was about, but it has been around for a long time. I didn’t figure I would find this but damned if it’s not out there. I was at work, on break in the ready room with a bunch of other controllers. The TV was on and this commercial happened. It was a true ROTFLMAO incident.

Back