Aspiring Corporate Pilot

David Anthony

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David A
Hey everybody, I thought I'd make this post to see what you all had to say. A little background, I'm 19 and from Michigan. I just recently finished my Commercial-Multi and I am working on my CFI. I have about 270 hours TT. I wasn't sure the path I wanted as far as a my pilot career was concerned but I was able to work for an FBO for about year, and I learned to really like the Corporate / Charter side of aviation and I think that is the route I want to take when I have the hours required. To any pilots in the corporate world, what is it like as far as work?... How is the schedule?... How is it compared to flying airlines?... What are the good companies to work for?... What should I watch out for?... What are your thought in general about being a corporate pilot?

Right now concentrate with the CFI rating, more hours, hopefully some college credits along the way. Nothing wrong with your corporate idea, though as you go forward plans can get adjusted.

I met a guy a year+ ago, younger with a family. He could easily(I think) go the airline route, but liked his corporate gig. A main part was the group he worked with.

I knew a guy years ago, Pilot hired by FedEx, he quit. Just saying, not everyone likes the same drum beat.

I was a corporate/charter/fractional pilot for about 16 years. I start class at an ACMI next month, but have an interview at a major in about a week.

You have to remember that every corporate job is different, and that difference is predicted on many different things. Chief pilots, owners, board of directors, etc. Any of those things change, and the entire culture of the department can change. What was a nice cushy retirement job one month can turn into a 25 day a month sweatshop. You also may not know the culture until you start working there. I've also said that 80% of my job is customer service, 10% is administrative work, and 10% is flying.

While the airlines have their downsides, at least you'll know most of them going into it. And the job will get better as your seniority grows. You'll also be able to "choose your own adventure". Want to fly 25 days a month and make a ton of overtime? Want to drop as many trips as possible and sit around your house for weeks at a time? Want to bid the A350 and go to Kerblickistan twice a month? Want to bid the 737 and do nothing but Florida day turns? All of those things are possible.

10% of corporate jobs are unicorns that will be better than any airline job. 70% are ok except for a few things, and 20% are absolute dumpster fires.

I enjoyed my time as a corporate pilot, had some cool adventures, but I'm looking forward to putting it in my rearview mirror for good.

Good luck with whatever you decide, feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Don't confuse charter part 135 with corporate/private part 91. Two different animals.
I work for a part 91 department. The flight department consist of two pilots and my self, the maintenance manager.
We operate a Challenger 300. NBAA average flight hours for that aircraft is 300-350 hours per year.
Pre COVID we were at 220 hours, 2020 finished at 80 hours and 2021 at 125 hours. On average we have 40 overnights per year.
We are the unicorn flight department that Groundpounder mentioned. The flight crew don't have to show up to the hangar unless there is a flight. We do not have any "pop up" trips. 60% of our trips are scheduled a year in advance and the rest we get on average a month notice.
Here is the downside. Although all 3 of us are in the low 6 figure salary range we are under paid 20%-40% per the NBAA survey. We accept it because we do have the time to have side jobs. I do side maintenance on small GA and the crew take contract work from time to time.

...The flight crew don't have to show up to the hangar unless there is a flight....

this makes me wonder about jobs where pilots DO have to show up even if not flying. what do they do besides fly? I'd hate to get into one of these jobs and then have silly non-piloty stuff to do. I can do that all day long in my stupid IT job.

this makes me wonder about jobs where pilots DO have to show up even if not flying. what do they do besides fly? I'd hate to get into one of these jobs and then have silly non-piloty stuff to do. I can do that all day long in my stupid IT job.

I update the GPS databases once a month for 5 planes, takes about 2 hrs. I also go up for periodic meetings, half a day max. Meetings maybe 1-2x per month.

We are a small 135 company with a couple 91 planes. On call all the time except if we are given a hard day off. Lately we’ve been flying 40 hrs a month with 1-3day trips.

this makes me wonder about jobs where pilots DO have to show up even if not flying. what do they do besides fly? I'd hate to get into one of these jobs and then have silly non-piloty stuff to do.

A friend once talked to a company that was looking for a pilot to fly their plane. (PC-12) They said on non-flying days the pilot would be assigned office duties. It was a construction company that also owned a lumber yard. The company wanted the pilot to work behind the counter at the lumber yard on non-flying days. He did not take the job.

A friend once talked to a company that was looking for a pilot to fly their plane. (PC-12) They said on non-flying days the pilot would be assigned office duties. It was a construction company that also owned a lumber yard. The company wanted the pilot to work behind the counter at the lumber yard on non-flying days. He did not take the job.

sounds like something my dad would do

Side jobs on non-flying days can be as general things that simply need to get done for the department to keep running. But that would only be a limited number of days each month.

Side jobs that require you to be at the hangar or somewhere else all the time when not flying are the jobs to avoid.

There is generally no such thing as a schedule unless you go to a fractional or a large corporations flight department. You can also figure on needing a new job every 10-15 years as well. The most unstable job I’ve ever had was the one airplane three pilot job working for a single individual. In regards to whether or not it’s a viable career path, only you can answer that one. I think every pilot I’ve ever met is nuts for sticking with this career. That said I have no regrets and would do it all again.

Not sure what a schedule is, but I fly corporate mostly 91 with a mix of 135. I love it and get to di and see amazing things. Unlike most of the fractionals we stay with the plane until the passengers are ready to return . Feel free to reach out with any questions

Don't confuse charter part 135 with corporate/private part 91. Two different animals.
I work for a part 91 department. The flight department consist of two pilots and my self, the maintenance manager.
We operate a Challenger 300. NBAA average flight hours for that aircraft is 300-350 hours per year.
Pre COVID we were at 220 hours, 2020 finished at 80 hours and 2021 at 125 hours. On average we have 40 overnights per year.
We are the unicorn flight department that Groundpounder mentioned. The flight crew don't have to show up to the hangar unless there is a flight. We do not have any "pop up" trips. 60% of our trips are scheduled a year in advance and the rest we get on average a month notice.
Here is the downside. Although all 3 of us are in the low 6 figure salary range we are under paid 20%-40% per the NBAA survey. We accept it because we do have the time to have side jobs. I do side maintenance on small GA and the crew take contract work from time to time.

No offense, but with that bolded sentence, you don't have one of the Unicorn jobs, you have one of the 70% jobs. Doesn't make it a bad job, but its not a Unicorn.

Back