Aspen IMC 2-LOC & Missed -- in the Simulator

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc
Ground contact, check… but can you see the runway environment? In part 2 of this short series we e-fly a Localizer approach into Aspen, with weather 3500’ overcast, visibility 2 miles reported. What are your experiences and opinions on shooting approaches in a home simulator? Is the geography and topography realistic enough? Are the avionics pretty functional compared to the real world?

Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video!
Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot

It looks like you can interface your iPad with the flight sim. I’m trying to decide if I should wait for the new version or purchase something now to keep me busy during the stay at home order.

It looks like you can interface your iPad with the flight sim. I’m trying to decide if I should wait for the new version or purchase something now to keep me busy during the stay at home order.
Gary, yes, I use ForeFlight with X-Plane 11... just takes a few clicks to connect them, and then it's just like real life as far as ForeFlight is concerned. Pretty sure the other EFBs and simulators can connect in much the same way.

If you're most keen on photo-realism, it might be worth waiting for Microsoft 2020... but if you prioritize as I do an excellent flight model and decent avionics, then X-Plane 11 delivers that today, so why would one wait. Add on PilotEdge.net for real-person ATC and there's an unbeatable combination for IFR practice.

Thanks for watching!
Fly safely and fly often,
Wayne

I suppose that's about right... used to go in and out of ASE a fair amount. Main thing is to be fully configured by Red Table.

I suppose that's about right... used to go in and out of ASE a fair amount. Main thing is to be fully configured by Red Table.
Ryan, your idea to slow her down by Red Table makes sense to me... in the above video that was also my strategy, for the LOC-E using AJAXX to fill that role. To be honest, never having flown the DA62 in real life, I actually got a bit too slow (85 KIAS) at one point. On the final video in this short series (I hope, coming up next week), we'll shoot the RNAV-F from Red Table and see if we have better luck getting in.
Thanks,
Wayne

What is the best controls? Thinking joystick, keeping it simple since the yoke/rudders don’t have a real feel. I just want to shoot approaches. Wish I could find an add on commander but I’ll be more then happy flying a Cessna 400 or Cirrus. I don’t think anything has an Aspen panel.

What is the best controls? Thinking joystick, keeping it simple since the yoke/rudders don’t have a real feel. I just want to shoot approaches. Wish I could find an add on commander but I’ll be more then happy flying a Cessna 400 or Cirrus. I don’t think anything has an Aspen panel.
Gary, a couple thoughts:
  • here's a basic Primer I put together on how to get started with X-Plane
  • with your interest being primarily IFR and shooting approaches (as is mine), I'd suggest a Logitech Joystick
  • I'd also again strongly suggest looking into using PilotEdge.net for real-person ATC
In my opinion, the exact aircraft you use in the sim is less important than the avionics... try to use an aircraft that matches your real world avionics as much as possible (e.g. six pack, 430/530, G1000, etc).

Enjoy e-flying,
Wayne

In my opinion, the exact aircraft you use in the sim is less important than the avionics... try to use an aircraft that matches your real world avionics as much as possible (e.g. six pack, 430/530, G1000, etc).
Enjoy e-flying,
Wayne

Not many aircraft with an Aspen, Garmin 480 and an Stec 60

Gary, a couple thoughts:
  • here's a basic Primer I put together on how to get started with X-Plane
  • with your interest being primarily IFR and shooting approaches (as is mine), I'd suggest a Logitech Joystick
  • I'd also again strongly suggest looking into using PilotEdge.net for real-person ATC

Enjoy e-flying,
Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks, an excellent read. :yes:

Back