Asking for a friend...... Written question

Ed Sokol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Love2Fly
when you take your written and get an 85% on it, Can you take it again at a later time and try for a better score? Just out of curiosity really. I know that could back fire on someone but the thought had popped into my head over this weekend..

My friend thanks you.

Why take it again passing is passing ?

I know, but out of curiosity....... Could someone if they wanted to? I wouldn't take it again personally.

Sure, if you want to waste another $140-160 dollars. But why?

Never had anyone ask me my score on the written. Unless someone is just an over achiever and wants to waste money, there is no reason to take it again, if you passed, you passed.

Never had anyone ask me my score on the written. Unless someone is just an over achiever and wants to waste money, there is no reason to take it again, if you passed, you passed.
Yeah, I never remember my examiner mentioning anything at all about my written test score or the areas I was weak in.

I'm not in the "passing is passing" crowd. I believe every student should strive for a good score. However, having passed, regardless of the score, no, I would not suggest taking the test again.

Take your 85% and run. Just learn the answers to the question you missed. A good DPE will know what they were and quiz you on them.

when you take your written and get an 85% on it, Can you take it again at a later time and try for a better score? Just out of curiosity really. I know that could back fire on someone but the thought had popped into my head over this weekend..

My friend thanks you.

Sure just get out the old MasterCard and go for it,

Pilot - I'm here for the job interview
American Airlines - what experience do you have?
Pilot - I have every certification I can get and I've been flying 737s for 10 years. I have a gazillion hours.
American Airlines - What did you score on your private pilot's exam?
Pilot - 85
American Airlines - Oh....sorry, that's just not good enough. Try Mesa, they'll take anyone.

Pilot - I'm here for the job interview
American Airlines - what experience do you have?
Pilot - I have every certification I can get and I've been flying 737s for 10 years. I have a gazillion hours.
American Airlines - What did you score on your private pilot's exam?
Pilot - 85
American Airlines - Oh....sorry, that's just not good enough. Have you considered becoming an air traffic controller?

FIFY.

:D

Here is how the FAA looks at it if you do something wrong.

Written test score.......... Action
96%+...........................Verbal Counseling
90%-95%.......................44709 Ride
<90% ..........................Revocation

So, I'd retest if I were you.

Ok, I'm lying. Yeah,hard to believe.

No benefit to retesting.

You fixed nothing sir. :mad:

<----- writes Half Fast on People to Kill list.
Hope I’m not on your naughty list...

<chews on fingers in a nervous manner>

My friend thanks you.
No. For a retest the applicant must hand the examiner a failed test result.

Bob

Take your 85% and run. Just learn the answers to the question you missed. A good DPE will know what they were and quiz you on them.
Guess I had a “bad” DPE for my instrument checkride: he didn’t ask me a single question about any subject I got wrong on my written. As a matter of fact, the guy hardly asked me any questions at all (no joke, he didn’t). It was weird, and it actually felt a little like a let down. I studied hard and wanted to impress him with my knowledge, but didn’t get the chance. Guess I shouldn’t complain though...

Guess I had a “bad” DPE for my instrument checkride: he didn’t ask me a single question about any subject I got wrong on my written. As a matter of fact, the guy hardly asked me any questions at all (no joke, he didn’t). It was weird, and it actually felt a little like a let down. I studied hard and wanted to impress him with my knowledge, but didn’t get the chance. Guess I shouldn’t complain though...

He was probably aware of that and wasn’t going to give you the satisfaction

No. For a retest the applicant must hand the examiner a failed test result.

Bob

Incorrect, you can retest for a higher score by presenting your passing test result. The test center will destroy your original report and you are stuck with the score on the retest even if it is lower than your first score. The following paragraph is from page 5-10 of FAA order 8080.6F.

21. Retesting for Higher Score. Test applicants who have received a passing grade may retake the same test for a higher score after 30 days. The applicant must surrender the previous test report to the unit member before retesting. The unit member must destroy the original test report after administering the retest. The latest test taken will reflect the official score.

Incorrect, you can retest for a higher score by presenting your passing test result. The test center will destroy your original report and you are stuck with the score on the retest even if it is lower than your first score. The following paragraph is from page 5-10 of FAA order 8080.6F.

21. Retesting for Higher Score. Test applicants who have received a passing grade may retake the same test for a higher score after 30 days. The applicant must surrender the previous test report to the unit member before retesting. The unit member must destroy the original test report after administering the retest. The latest test taken will reflect the official score.

Thanks Wheels.....

I know that feeling, just took my CMEL ride, I way over studied, 95 on the written, did the weight and balance 3 different ways to show him I understood how different loading would affect CG, his only question was if I did one. Questions were simple and basic, i overthought it big time. Even though the oral and ride was easy, I was so physically and mentally drained. I pressured myself to be perfect (which I wasn’t) plus I had a multi vfr only restriction because I took my multi ride prior to my instrument. I had a family vacation in Destin scheduled to leave two days after my ride in a multi and enough weather in the forecast that I didn’t want to have to go vfr. Failure was not an option, just a little extra pressure!

As others have said, you can retake the written, but since 85% is a passing score, there is normally no reason to retake it.

Well, there is one situation where you MIGHT. You could have my first CFII for an instructor. He would not sign off a student for the checkride who scored below 90% on the written. So, if you really want to stay with that instructor, and you scored an 85%, you might want to take it again. Personally, if I had been in that situation, I would probably have just fired the instructor. I eventually did in fact, but for a different reason.

Thanks for the correction. Back in the olden days, when there were no testing centers and there were such things as written test examiners, I was one...and I was relying on my memory.

Bob

I know that feeling, just took my CMEL ride, I way over studied, 95 on the written, did the weight and balance 3 different ways to show him I understood how different loading would affect CG, his only question was if I did one. Questions were simple and basic, i overthought it big time. Even though the oral and ride was easy, I was so physically and mentally drained. I pressured myself to be perfect (which I wasn’t) plus I had a multi vfr only restriction because I took my multi ride prior to my instrument. I had a family vacation in Destin scheduled to leave two days after my ride in a multi and enough weather in the forecast that I didn’t want to have to go vfr. Failure was not an option, just a little extra pressure!
It’s was easy because you were prepared.

My friend thanks you.

Your friend is overthinking it, big time. You (er, I mean your friend) will get a chance to prove you know the other 15% on the checkride.

Wow! Other than the multi you just described my situation at checkride to a “T”!
I over-studied, had a trip planned two days after the checkride (with mvfr weather at best predicted), got mid-90s on the written, had 2 w&b one paper/one electronic, 2 flight plans one paper/one ff, etc.

Last edited:
Back