Ask me your hardest checkride questions

Joseph Matties

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JayMatt
Like the title says, ask me your hardest checkride questions. Weather and availability through the holidays has me on a long approach to checkride. Trying to stay sharp and prep for things I haven't thought of or heard before.

If you go for a $300 burger with your non-CFI friend in their tailwheel airplane and they let you fly, can you log that time even though you don't have a tailwheel endorsement? If so, why. If not, why not?

You tune to a VOR and hear no identification morse code but you are getting a signal showing you're on the expected radial. What is going on? Careful, this is trickier than it sounds.

Define lift and how it is generated.
This is a good one. Fortunately we had this question in jeopardy last night and everyone got it wrong. We all assume lift, weight, drag, thrust instead of coefficient x density x speed x wing area.. defenitly one that is going on my flash cards

If you go for a $300 burger with your non-CFI friend in their tailwheel airplane and they let you fly, can you log that time even though you don't have a tailwheel endorsement? If so, why. If not, why not?
I don't know the answer to that. I would assume I could fly but not land but I will have to look that up. Thanks

You tune to a VOR and hear no identification morse code but you are getting a signal showing you're on the expected radial. What is going on? Careful, this is trickier than it sounds.
I don't know this either. Dang I'm starting to regret this thread lol. Now I feel stupid. I'll have to research this

How does it protect the airplane?
It keeps you within the structural limits of the airplane. Also the speed you should be flying in turbulence.

Is that what you are looking for? Or should I be elaborating further? That's about all I got of the top of my head for that one.

It keeps you within the structural limits of the airplane. Also the speed you should be flying in turbulence.

Is that what you are looking for? Or should I be elaborating further? That's about all I got of the top of my head for that one.
What can you do with the flight controls and still be protected by Va, and how do “weight and speed” factor in?

as far as turbulence speed, I’d add that they’re the same “for your airplane” if that’s the case…turbulence penetration speed (Vb) isn’t always the same speed as Va.

It keeps you within the structural limits of the airplane.
It does, assuming full scale control deflection in one axis only. Slam two or more control surfaces to the stop simultaneously and you are outside the parameters for maneuvering speed.

when doing the walk around, my PPL examiner asked me why the aileron had those little V shaped corrugations in the sheet metal.
Not meant to be a right/wrong or pass/fail kind of question I recon....more of an off-balance conversational tactic to see if I'd get rattled or distracted I suppose....
I was pretty much fresh out of mechanical engineering school & I had a pretty good answer I suppose, and it didn't rattle me at all....but it sticks in my memory all these years later only because it was so unexpected. I don't really remember any other specific question she asked...in fact I barely remember the ride...but I remembered that.

when doing the walk around, my PPL examiner asked me why the aileron had those little V shaped corrugations in the sheet metal.
Some examiners like to play stump-the-chump. They figure they've not succeeded until they ask the student some piece of trivia that they couldn't answer. Amusingly, the guy who did my instrument ride finally gave up on me.

I saw this on reddit and thought it was pretty decent. Testing beyond rote.

Look up KTRL Terrell Municipal Airport on SkyVector. Directly to the East is 76F Van Zandt County Regional Airport.

Imagine the clouds are at 1800 ft MSL. You are flying at 1600 ft MSL.

Would you be legal over KTRL? What about over 76F?

upload_2021-11-16_7-51-53.png

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this on reddit and thought it was pretty decent. Testing beyond rote.

Look up KTRL Terrell Municipal Airport on SkyVector. Directly to the East is 76F Van Zandt County Regional Airport.

Would you be legal over KTRL? What about over 76F?

View attachment 101898
Where in reddit is this?

Ok, you've got me stumped. How are you legal in the first place flying 200' below the clouds?

I suppose volume turned down, headset broke, etc isn't going to be it. Sooo, what is it?

I suppose volume turned down, headset broke, etc isn't going to be it. Sooo, what is it?

Those are the tricky parts of it, also, Nav not selected on the comms panel. Many people will jump straight to the next part and miss the causes inside the cockpit.

The rest of the answer is the VOR is down for maintenance. The signal may still be transmitting for the maintenance testing, but should be considered unreliable.

Related, instead of silence, some stations may broadcast T-E-S-T instead of the normal morse code, so you do need to be able to recognize the difference. There's another related part that is about DME (I think, I don't use DME and didn't look it again up) and the DME recognition signal transmitting every 30 seconds with the VOR signal in between, but that's just going further down the rabbit hole.

There's a lot of questions around VORs, but if you're this deep into it, you're more than deep enough for private.

The A/FD for KLAL lists both ATIS and AWOS for frequency 118.025. Which is it and why?

Ok, you've got me stumped. How are you legal in the first place flying 200' below the clouds?
Over Van Sandt controlled airspace doesn't start until 1722. You only need to be clear of clouds there in the daytime

Related, instead of silence, some stations may broadcast T-E-S-T instead of the normal morse code, so you do need to be able to recognize the difference. There's another related part that is about DME (I think, I don't use DME and didn't look it again up) and the DME recognition signal transmitting every 30 seconds with the VOR signal in between, but that's just going further down the rabbit hole.

My wife was receiving primary instruction and I happened to be along in the back seat for some reason. They are trying to track the EMI VOR and having a difficult time with it. They had the ID turned up and I had to finally point out to them that it was sending TEST. And this was particularly silly because my wife was also an amateur radio operator (Advanced Class back when you had to do morse code to pass the test) and hadn't caught it.

Years ago, an instructor dinged me for not looking at the morse code on the chart to identify the VOR. I pointed out that I possessed both amateur and commercial licenses that required 20WPM code copying and the VOR sends really slow (somewhere around 3WPM) and I had no problem decoding it. After having him tune a half dozen stations and let me decode them blind he decided to believe me.

You're a Sport Pilot who owns a light sport aircraft. You'd like to save some money by doing your own oil changes on your LSA. Does it matter whether your LSA is an Ercoupe or a Tecnam Astore? Why or why not?

My wife was receiving primary instruction and I happened to be along in the back seat for some reason. They are trying to track the EMI VOR and having a difficult time with it. They had the ID turned up and I had to finally point out to them that it was sending TEST. And this was particularly silly because my wife was also an amateur radio operator (Advanced Class back when you had to do morse code to pass the test) and hadn't caught it.

Years ago, an instructor dinged me for not looking at the morse code on the chart to identify the VOR. I pointed out that I possessed both amateur and commercial licenses that required 20WPM code copying and the VOR sends really slow (somewhere around 3WPM) and I had no problem decoding it. After having him tune a half dozen stations and let me decode them blind he decided to believe me.
I used to have a copilot who thought you just had to listen to see that Morse code was there. I discovered this when the DME tuned but the VOR didn’t…fortunately we were enroute via GPS at the time. ;)

Back