Ashley Madison Leaked Data

Also, if it helps the "conspiracy theorists" feel better, all but one of the profiles of people I know that I either looked up, or helped others look up, have the same story attached and verified:

They registered. They never completed their profile, and they never spent money, and they left, never to return.

Could be jealous spouses checking to see if their SO was on the site. Could be idle curiosity. Could be they chickened out. But they never really used the site.

It is obvious who really used the site and who didnt.

Finally, message history was not leaked. I'd anticipate that the next leak will include that. That will be the most damning.

Instead these hackers have committed a felony (likely more than one), including extortion and illegal entry into a computer system. I have no sympathy for them, nor can I support their activity. And to be clear, I don't condone the behavior of those that used the site, though I do have sympathy for the families and organizations that will be negatively impacted by this.

I don't have sympathy either way, but I'm far more concerned about the criminal behavior than the moral behavior. The fact that I used to work in computer security might be a part of that. That fact that I'm a liberal and believe in personal freedom to pursue happiness might be another part.

Lol.

That's all I have to say.

Actually, scratch that. You are turning this into the ultimate conspiracy theory. Somewhere, there is a centralized group of people that need a bunch of random joe blows to get divorced and lose their reputation, so they hacked into a site, planted their data, then let someone else discover it...

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Plain and simple: if it has your name, email, username, ip address, and satellite coordinates to your house captured at the time of registration (and not based on IP address, btw), and they all match you, it was you. Unless someone broke into your house, signed you up for the site with all of your normal personal info, then hid the Ashley Madison emails from your inbox, it's you.

This is the most bizarre conversation ever. The fakes are easy to spot.

Please learn to read. I clearly stated it's unlikely with THIS crack because of multiple admissions of guilt.

But it WILL be commonly used, soon enough.

This is how "hackers" (really crackers) and social engineers think. Visit DefCon sometime and look up at the display on the wall called the "Wall of Sheep". Take a walk over to the lock picking pavilion and ponder whether anyone there really thinks cheap locks are a deterrent or spends any time thinking about the consequences of popping one open "for fun."

Have you ever done any real computer forensics where chain of custody of what's on a hard disk must be maintained, to prove the investigator didn't alter the data? I have. You're not allowed to just fire up the computer and start poking around the hard drive.

If you haven't seen how damn easy it is to completely "own" an insecure server or even an entire server system and the network it's running on, it's hard to explain. Even the most sophisticated crack is just a puzzle game to the folks that do them. Manipulating society is just another type of puzzle to them. If those folks need cash, for whatever reason, it's eventually "game over" for the thing being attacked. And even one single insider and it's definitely game over at most businesses. Most janitors will happily accept $1000 to stick a USB stick in a computer and push the power button twice, some evening.

In the case of AM, there was no confirmation step. Anyone could "sign up" anyone. Didn't even need a backdoor into the database.

In future cracks of "controversial" websites, ask yourself if it would benefit anyone to have used SQL injection or a backdoor/open security hole to insert records into the table before the "copy" was "leaked", is all I'm saying.

Computer and network security, in the end, is impossible, given enough time. It rarely takes more than time and patience. There's a new remote root exploit found every week, if not every day, in most OSs now. In core code, not applications. The applications are usually written so badly/quickly/poorly they'll crumble without much effort, but you have to try more things than the published exploits.

One of our public machines had over 30,000 attempts at just boring old password guessing done against it on Friday alone (the script to block the IP of such things was hung and not working and the monitoring saw a hung version and thought it was fine). That attack was just part of the daily noise against all of our public machines and was automated. It wasn't even a real effort by a human.

(From yet another new APNIC range that wasn't already just dropped at the network border. That was also fixed. And those are cute since passwords aren't used but it's fun to watch the script kiddies so we might as well act like we accept them, right? Well up until someone decides that's a good way to do a Denial of Service attack, but those are about whoever has the most bandwidth wins, anyway, by design of IP networking, so whether they beat on the login prompt or just hit the website itself, it doesn't really matter.)

If you think people don't do this stuff "just for fun", you absolutely don't get it at all. Add in a real motivation, and it gets sticky very quickly deciding if "leaked data" is real or just whatever the cracker decided to put there.

What happens when humans on a "mission" with a huge beef against someone or some place who already have no qualms about breaking the law to break into a system to "prove" something, find nothing to leak? They'll plant it. Especially the "true believers". Totally normal for that mentality.

The instructor for my first applied network attacking class was ex-NSA. He not only told us that social engineering with a phone call was the easiest way to completely own a company, he demonstrated it. He not only had the randomly chosen target company's passwords for their web server, but logged into it from the classroom to prove it. He was a "good guy". He contacted the IT department of the company the class had chosen and let them know he'd done it. That was long ago and some companies are better now, but not a majority by a long shot.

Another one. A large financial institution that all of you would recognize but I can't share... A friend works there in their security group. He got official permission to send an email that looked like it was from their IT department to all staff members from a Yahoo account asking recipients to reply with their username and password to "fix" something.

1/3 of the companies executives, including the CEO, and about 1/6 of the staff responded. Once the CEO was shown the results, and that he fell for it, he approved the purchase of key fobs for two-factor authentication immediately and mandated the use across all platforms, a multi-million dollar project that took six months.

Just simple examples. Most IT people would say "duh" to, but plenty of IT departments out there run by non-technical folk who don't "get it" at all or even technical folk who find security too "inconvenient" or "expensive" to implement even the basics like dual-factor authentication.

I've worked for a place once that fired me for patching a remote root exploit. In the end, I was happy to leave. The people that did the firing were summarily fired by the CTO when he found out why I was gone. Guess I made an impression. He called to apologize. I appreciated his effort but I was long-gone and wasn't interested in returning to a place that messed up. They're gone now also, so I can say that most of HP's employees pay checks in the traditional print products "pipeline" were generated from that place's data mining system, amongst other things that they did.

(No we weren't HP. In a huge irony we could never figure out, they paid us to calculate their staff's commissions for one of their divisions because apparently they couldn't build their own system to do it? We enjoyed the cash. We weren't so hot on being forced to put in a bank of HP hardware and maintain a bunch of HP-UX systems when the entire rest of the server farm was IBM hardware running Linux... The HP contract was lucrative enough that we put up with that silliness and non-standardization.)

This could have been the ultimate "ransomware" for the hackers. Instead of encrypting your hard drive and demanding a payment to prevent data deletion, email all the addresses in the file with an option to get their data FULLY SCRUBBED from the file that's "about to be publicly released in 7 business days." They could have made a TON of money.

If you have that kind of access to a company's systems, why wouldn't you insert a few payroll records and start collecting some paychecks via automatic deposit to a shell account?

What's the difference between kinky and erotic?

Erotic= uses a feather.

Kinky= uses the whole chicken!!!:D

If you have that kind of access to a company's systems, why wouldn't you insert a few payroll records and start collecting some paychecks via automatic deposit to a shell account?

Separate systems each need to be hacked. The payroll one would likely be detected before any significant amount could be pilfered.

Cash is king in the black hat world. If not cash, barter of services. Or drugs. Or anything that can be easily turned to cash without much attention being paid to it.

Paying oneself to any sort of bank account is traceable.

Why do you think governments now mandate extra information be taken from anyone making a large cash withdrawal?

I triggered that once when I bought something from a friend and be joked that he wanted payment in $20s. Couldn't do $20s, but a not that large stack of $100s from my savings account meant the bank had to log it and ask me for various information.

Even the Jarod thing this week, they ultimately traced it via the money.

Amateur hour, sending money from a business payroll system to an account. Those people get caught. As do others, but money transfer makes LE's job much easier.

Be interesting to see stats on how often Bitcoin is used for payment in the criminal world. Saw a bitcoin ATM the other day. That was interesting.

Lol.

That's all I have to say.

Actually, scratch that. You are turning this into the ultimate conspiracy theory. Somewhere, there is a centralized group of people that need a bunch of random joe blows to get divorced and lose their reputation, so they hacked into a site, planted their data, then let someone else discover it...

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Plain and simple: if it has your name, email, username, ip address, and satellite coordinates to your house captured at the time of registration (and not based on IP address, btw), and they all match you, it was you. Unless someone broke into your house, signed you up for the site with all of your normal personal info, then hid the Ashley Madison emails from your inbox, it's you.

This is the most bizarre conversation ever. The fakes are easy to spot.

I just figured Nate was laying the ground work for plausible deniability! :D:D:D *ducking and running*

I expect to see a lot more of this:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-jeff-ashton-ashley-madison-20150823-story.html
Florida elected state attorney has to apologize and make excuses.
I wonder if he knows what "toast" means.

It is always surprising to see who is doing the moralizing whenever this type of thing pops up. The local Democratic Party operatives are screaming bloody murder, trying to force the State Attorney, who just happens to be a Republican, to resign.
As I recall, it was the Democratic Party operatives screaming bloody murder that Bill Clinton's sins were only about sex and his private romantic business, and therefore nothing about his behavior was fair game to hold against him.
Why are certain political parties always working both sides of the same arguments, and getting a pass for their hypocrisy?

I think it's surprising that there is so much moralizing period. Does any one care besides the person's family?

I think it's surprising that there is so much moralizing period. Does any one care besides the person's family?
I'm not moralizing about it. I think it is entertaining; like driving by a car wreck.

But I just can't imagine having an affair if you love your spouse, therefore, if you have an affair, it means you don't love your spouse, even if you think you do.

Cheating always hurts someone. I do have sympathy for that hurt person, just like I do when I hear someone was killed in a plane crash. I don't believe stating that is the same thing as moralizing. But I guess that is semantics.

Ok. Maybe I am moralizing. Cheating is wrong.

I'd be interested to know how everyone here heard of AM. I heard about it on Oprah (IIRC) a few years ago. I think the owner was being interviewed. I checked it out in curiosity and that was as far as it went. Didn't use my real info or pay for anything. And my wife was in on it from day one!

When I heard about the leak, I logged back in to see the fake profile was still there. I though it was hilarious actually. I never thought twice about someone blackmailing me about it- - good luck with that one!

Wife says, "There's a special place in hell for people like this", those that facilitate the demoralizing of society. I agree.

I'd be interested to know how everyone here heard of AM. I heard about it on Oprah (IIRC) a few years ago. I think the owner was being interviewed. I checked it out in curiosity and that was as far as it went. Didn't use my real info or pay for anything. And my wife was in on it from day one!

When I heard about the leak, I logged back in to see the fake profile was still there. I though it was hilarious actually. I never thought twice about someone blackmailing me about it- - good luck with that one!

Wife says, "There's a special place in hell for people like this", those that facilitate the demoralizing of society. I agree.

They used to run radio ads in LA. I'd hear them almost every trip out west. "Life is short, have an affair". The ones in early February were "interesting".

Left me SMH.

I heard about it right here. The whole popular media thing bypasses me because it is such a cesspool anymore.

I would be less ashamed of using AM then I would be of watching Oprah.

I never heard of them until I read a news feed about the leak.

In my industry, the regulators are preaching about having a mature incident response process. Auditors want to see a robust policy and procedure for when a breach occurs (not if).

It's interesting to contemplate just what kind of IR a firm like AM could come up with that results in anything other than shutting down the business.

Last edited:
They probably made more on the fee for purging data than they did on the matchmaking services! Every indication is it was a 10:1 ratio of men to women, so I suspect there was more disappointment than success for the male participants. Hormone-driven stupidity knows no bounds.

Apparently, it was only 10:1 if you included all the fake female profiles:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ashley-madison-bunch-dudes-talking-233158251.html. 20 million men checked their messages, 1500 women did. What a bunch of suckers.

It sounded more like a hooker site than a hook up site! Do beautiful women really have a tough time getting men to hit on them? :dunno:

I had an acquaintance who said she had an AM profile. As a married woman she specifically wanted a married man and AM gave her a pool of choices.

I had an acquaintance who said she had an AM profile. As a married woman she specifically wanted a married man and AM gave her a pool of choices.

More like an ocean than a pool, from the sound of it!!

Do beautiful women really have a tough time getting men to hit on them? :dunno:

They dont. The same mechanism motivates clubs to offer free admission to unaccompanied women.

It would appear this whole thing has prompted an ad in the ATL paper:
attachment.php

Just another example of personal ad with lots of exaggeration and falsehood, I'd say.

Just think about it. It's summer. She's 8 weeks old. How does she know that she likes to be cozy in the winter?

And long walks in the woods? At 8 weeks, maybe a short walk around the flower bed. But not a long walk in the woods.

That puppy had no business advertising like that.

You find out your financial advisor is on it, if he cheats on his wife, what's to say he won't cheat you?
How about the pilot of a plane, maybe he cheated on his tests or falsified his ratings.
How about the person that takes care of your kids?
Etc etc
If you are a trusted professional and I depend on you for my life or $....
I want to know and you're dead to me if your on it.

It does show a character issue, that can bleed into other areas that may affect you. Look at Clinton when he was fooling around with an intern, Monica Lewinsky. Many people, mostly Dems were saying it was no big deal, just sex. However, he may have been blackmailed by a foreign government over it, so left us vulnerable. Also, he then lied about it under oath further showing a lack of character.

You find out your financial advisor is on it, if he cheats on his wife, what's to say he won't cheat you?
How about the pilot of a plane, maybe he cheated on his tests or falsified his ratings.
How about the person that takes care of your kids?
Etc etc
If you are a trusted professional and I depend on you for my life or $....
I want to know and you're dead to me if your on it.

I really don't give a crap if someone in my professional life has had an affair. It happens more often than you think.

Seeking a partner on AM seems a little odd to me though.

Mari is right. If they're beating the morality drum it doesn't seem right. But some of our best presidents cheated on their wives. Several years back the president of France openly had multiple affairs and his people thought nothing of it.

As for blackmail/vulnerable, bah. That used to be the reason to not let homosexuals in the military. The President isn't handing over nuclear codes because he's afraid of his wife finding out he's having an affair.

What I find odd is that a news article this morning said that AM isn't suffering a financial hit because of this. That their paying customer base is as strong as ever. How is that possible?

Cheaper than trying to hook up at a bar.

I don't know. I have no idea what they charged for the service, but if they had a 100,000:1 ratio of men to women it might actually be a more expensive way to hook up assuming success is a factor in your equation!

What I find odd is that a news article this morning said that AM isn't suffering a financial hit because of this. That their paying customer base is as strong as ever. How is that possible?

Because there's no shortage of horny lunatics with money to burn?

Back