As a CFI, what's your most flight instruction given in one month?

When the GI Bill was in effect in 1977, all ten flight instructors did about 140 Hrs a month. We had 50 airplanes.

The day the GI Bill stopped, everyone was laid off and all airplanes scattered.

From the air flying behind the student, or normal, in the plane instruction? ;-)

Seriously, 140 hours instruction in a month is brutal. 240 is insane. I'm impressed.

I regularly did 100+ hours a month. I never really got tired or sick until 1 day I had 6 students and all of them were up to pattern work in the syllabus in the middle of the summer. After doing about 50 laps around the pattern I had to cancel my last 2 students because I was getting nauseous.

When the GI Bill was in effect in 1977, all ten flight instructors did about 140 Hrs a month. We had 50 airplanes.

Reminds of a similar situation. There used to be a program called AVOTEC that payed $4,500 for pilot training. Came out of excess DOD tuition assistance funds. Local flight school was making a killing off of it. Anyway, while we deployed, apparently the owner and staff took the money and ran. Rumor was there was over $400k in their account. New owner came and purchased the asssets but had no idea that the school was essentially being run on DOD money. Closed up shop within a month.

From the air flying behind the student, or normal, in the plane instruction? ;-)

Seriously, 140 hours instruction in a month is brutal. 240 is insane. I'm impressed.

The 248 is a joke and pretty much impossible. 8 hours a day x 31 days. When does the weather, or plane, or time, or students ever cooperate that much?

The 248 is a joke and pretty much impossible. 8 hours a day x 31 days. When does the weather, or plane, or time, or students ever cooperate that much?
That's ok, I'm impressed at 140.

I'm glad you said that because I was starting to get a headache trying to do the math. I mean the 8x31 was the easy part, but what about all the pre and post flights and debriefs and grabbing food and I don't know about you, but I have to pee at least twice a month.

My personal best was 192 hours given.

As far as I know, I was the only guy giving tailwheel instruction in Alaska back then so it kept me pretty busy.

I am not disputing your numbers, but 192 hours in 30 days? The regulation is 8 hours a day and you only got weather out 4 days the entire month?

Summer time in Alaska has some looooong days.

61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.
A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:

(a)Hours of training. In any 24-consecutive-hour period, a flight instructor may not conduct more than 8 hours of flight training.

Guess low pressure systems must move really fast too.

A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:

(a)Hours of training. In any 24-consecutive-hour period, a flight instructor may not conduct more than 8 hours of flight training.

Guess low pressure systems must move really fast too.

So what you're saying is you really are disputing his numbers even though you said you weren't disputing his numbers. :)

I did 800 hours in my first full year as a CFI. In the summer, I averaged 120 hours per month.

When I renewed my first time, the paper cert had a Gold Seal. I don't remember applying for it.

Was that in Alaska?

Was that in Alaska?

That was at Boeing Field. Seattle Flight Service, also had three outlying schools at Auburn, Bremerton and ..............was it Bellevue?

Not all those hours were in the airplane..........much was pre and post......which we were encouraged to maxify.

So stop beating around the bush. Exactly what reg do you suspect I violated and what exactly do you base that assumption on?

Ok, I will post it again.

For a 30 day month, one could only have 4 - 24 hour periods that were less than VFR. Considering on low pressure system can Ground flight training for that long. It is unlikely the refs were not busted to obtain that value. Notwithstanding the fact of needing some time off.

I’m doing about 150 A YEAR. And that’s too much.

For a 30 day month, one could only have 4 - 24 hour periods that were less than VFR. Considering on low pressure system can Ground flight training for that long. It is unlikely the refs were not busted to obtain that value. Notwithstanding the fact of needing some time off.

So your entire ASSumption that I violated the regs, is based on another ASSumption that apparently according to you, there are only 30 days in every month, AND every month of every year has a minimum of at least "4 - 24 hour periods that are less than VFR".

Do I have that right?

So your entire ASSumption that I violated the regs, is based on another ASSumption that apparently according to you, there are only 30 days in every month, AND every month of every year has a minimum of at least "4 - 24 hour periods that are less than VFR".

Do I have that right?
You have it right. Don’t even sweat it, this is a classic theme for Clifford.

I’m not making any accusations, but I’m guessing that reg is broken more often than most people think because it’s pretty easy to do. Let’s say you start late, around 10:00 on day one, but the weather is good and you’ve got a full schedule and get in 7.8 hours. The next day you’ve got a student that wants to get started at 8:00. Oops, without even realizing it, you’ve busted it before you’ve even left the pattern.

I’m not making any accusations, but I’m guessing that reg is broken more often than most people think because it’s pretty easy to do. Let’s say you start late, around 10:00 on day one, but the weather is good and you’ve got a full schedule and get in 7.8 hours. The next day you’ve got a student that wants to get started at 8:00. Oops, without even realizing it, you’ve busted it before you’ve even left the pattern.

Yes I suppose some have, but it seems pretty simple. No more than 8 hours given in any 24 hour period. I suppose some are better at math than others.

Where in Arizona, New Mexico, or Nevada is the temperate rain forest?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but it seems like you think the State of Alaska is a rain forest. You should take a trip up there and see the entire state. There's many different climates. In different areas it can get as cold as -50 plus or minus and all the way up to the 100s.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but it seems like you think the State of Alaska is a rain forest. You should take a trip up there and see the entire state. There's many different climates. In different areas it can get as cold as -50 plus or minus and all the way up to the 100s.

The southwest coast of Alaska is a temperate rain forest with most areas getting less than 7 sunny days a year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/education/educators/curricula/pdfs/the_alaskan_rainforest.pdf

The southwest coast of Alaska is a temperate rain forest with most areas getting less than 7 sunny days a year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/education/educators/curricula/pdfs/the_alaskan_rainforest.pdf

Well thank you for telling me. Having lived in Dutch Harbor I kind of have a pretty good feel for what the weather is like there.

You posting that doesn't change what I said about you seem to think the enter state of Alaska is a rain forest.

Do you have any idea how big Alaska is?

As you would typically fly the route in GA, it's close to a 1000 miles from Dutch to Anchorage. It's about 800 miles from Anchorage to Ketchikan and over 700 miles from Anchorage to Barrow.

Does Alaska have rain forest? You bet. Is the entire state of Alaska a rain forest? No.

Well thank you for telling me. Having lived in Dutch Harbor I kind of have a pretty good feel for what the weather is like there.

You posting that doesn't change what I said about you seem to think the enter state of Alaska is a rain forest.

As you would typically fly the route in GA, it's close to a 1000 miles from Dutch to Anchorage. It's about 800 miles from Anchorage to Ketchikan and over 700 miles from Anchorage to Barrow.

Does Alaska have rain forest? You bet. Is the entire state of Alaska a rain forest? No.
Don’t waste anymore of your time trying to argue with Clifford. He’ll take you down the rabbit hole and refuses to admit that he’s wrong even when he is many times.

Don’t waste anymore of your time trying to argue with Clifford. He’ll take you down the rabbit hole and refuses to admit that he’s wrong even when he is many times.

But what if I'm enjoying it? Just kidding, sort of. I could already tell that he's a little... shall we say, stubborn?

Yes I do, I also know how much it rains there. It sure isn’t Arizona.

Back