ARTCC Frequencies on Cross Country

rkiefer2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rkiefer2
Im about to take my first multi-state cross country. I will be flying from KUES (Milwaukee area) to KOXD (Cincinnati area) ~2.5 hours each way and I will be taking my IPad with Forelight and my Stratus II along with me.

In the interest of back up plans I will be doing the old map routing and paper flight planing as a back up. I will also have my iPhone, so will likely never touch the paper.

I like to use flight following on any cross country flight. For the shorter trips I take I look at the AFDs for nearby airports, but would like to have a paper back up of each center frequencies along my route.

What is a good tool/method to use and/or document by area which center to use for flight following/ATC communications?

AF/D is good. I'll also ask tower what a good frequency for flight following is if I'm unfamiliar.

Low altitude ifr charts are nice; depicted division lines.
I think Foreflight has something too?

Once you pick up FF at your departure point, ATC should give you the frequencies as you go. An easy backup is the castellated boxes on the low altitude charts.

IFR low enroute charts have the frequencies on them.

You have received good advice from others...especially the idea of bumming low-altitude enroute charts from an instrument rated buddy

For the A/FD, look up listings for airports along your route and see what is shown for Communications. That is great for popping up, but as someone else has said, each Center controller will give you the frequency of the next sector/Center along your route prior to handing you off....and each controller into whose airspace you will be flying knows all about your flight before the handoff takes place. All the new controller wants you to do is confirm your altitude. And don't say "with you."

Bob Gardner

What is a good tool/method to use and/or document by area which center to use for flight following/ATC communications?

I use AirNav before a cross country and look at the airports along the way. For instance, if I were to look up Flippin, AR (KFLP), Under "Airport Communications", it shows:

Airport Communications

CTAF/UNICOM: 123.0 WX AWOS-3: 132.075 (870-453-2380) WX ASOS at BPK (7 nm NE): 133.975 (870-481-5946)
  • APCH/DEP SVC PRVDD BY MEMPHIS ARTCC ON FREQS 126.85/281.55 (HARRISON RCAG).

But as I travel further west, over Berryville, AR (4M1), I see this:

Airport Communications

CTAF: 122.9 RAZORBACK APPROACH: 126.6 RAZORBACK DEPARTURE: 126.6
  • APCH/DEP SERVICE PRVDD BY MEMPHIS ARTCC ON FREQS 126.1/269.0 (FAYETTEVILLE RCAG) WHEN RAZORBACK APCH CTL CLSD.

So in the case of Flippin and all the airspace around it, I would call Memphis Center, but if you are flying out of Berryville (or flying anywhere in that area), call Razorback Approach.

I always strive to know what the next frequency will be and have it loaded in the standby position before the current controller calls to hand me off.

No need to borrow; the OP's Foreflight will have the low altitude charts though it might be an Easter egg hunt to scroll around and find the castellated boxes. These little EFBs are nice but it's like looking at charts through a toilet paper tube if you have the magnification high enough that you can read the printing.

But ... none of the printed stuff is gospel anyway. As sectors are combined and split, as one controller prefers a particular repeater over another equally distant one, etc. it is only the current controller who can give the Good Word on what frequency you should be tuning. IMO the main value of the paper is to give me someplace to start when ATC forgets to give me a frequency change and I fly out of range, which happens. Same thing for the NRST ARTCC from the Garmin navigators. Someone will answer and that someone will tell me what frequency to use if it is different.

Last edited:
Had an old airport buddy who told me this true story. He was on his cross country for his private in a J3 and he got lost over Illinois. He had a sectional, but just couldnt figure out which road he was following and which town was which. So he saw a farmer on a tractor and he LANDED IN THE FARMER'S FIELD! He gets out and the farmer came over and he says "If a guy was to buy a pair of shoes around here, where would he go?" So the farmer says "well right over there 5 miles is Fairfield and another 20 following the RR tracks is Kirkland" (or some such)." "Ah thanks" he replies and gets back in his J3, takes off and goes on his way. True story! So if you get lost, just ask where you would go to buy a pair of shoes!

If your using flight following .they will give you the preferred freq for your route. The freqss can change on any given day.

If your using flight following .they will give you the preferred freq for your route. The freqss can change on any given day.

I get the "switch to my frequency" sometimes. This is after calling on the published frequency. Just go with it.

If all else fails, there is always guuuuaaaaaarrrrrrddddd!

The frequencies on the chart are fine if you're out in the boonies or flying high enough that you're above any Tracons. Otherwise, look for a nearby (i.e within 40nm) class B or class C (or even some class D with radar approach control) airport and give the approach facility listed on the chart a call. Once they figure out where you are they'll work you or send you to the correct sector controller (or to Center if you're in the ARTCC's airspace).

The frequencies on the chart are fine if you're out in the boonies or flying high enough that you're above any Tracons. Otherwise, look for a nearby (i.e within 40nm) class B or class C (or even some class D with radar approach control) airport and give the approach facility listed on the chart a call. Once they figure out where you are they'll work you or send you to the correct sector controller (or to Center if you're in the ARTCC's airspace).

Agreed. Just poke up the info page for any towered airport along your route and find the Approach frequency. They'll help you find the appropriate Center frequency if you're above their airspace, or they'll pick you up and work you right there.

Usually the approach frequency listed in the AFD or that listed on the approach plates for a nearby airport are your best bet. In busy airspace things are sometimes a bit more nuanced and not necessarily documented in full detail anywhere but don't worry. Just call up one of those frequencies and if it's not the right one they will tell you who to call.

You can also ask the tower (if there is one) and they will often call up and get a code for you. Not every airport does this but if they don't they'll certainly be able to tell you who to call once airborne. ATC is there to help so don't hesitate to ask.

Way out in the boonies you may go over to a Center or need to climb up to higher altitude so someone can see you on radar.

Last edited:
Monitor 121.500 on your #2 radio. If some mistake happens and you're on the wrong freq or out of range for that freq, someone will try and contact you there.

It happens more often than you think. It's also helped me out once.

I'm not convinced of the need for VFR-only private pilots to delve into IFR enroute charts. Especially since with an EFB, the information is no more than 2-3 taps away.

Even without an EFB there are plenty of options, both as part of preflight planning and in the air. AFD. Calling Flight Service. Asking other nearby facilities. Frequency panel on the sectional. Class B or C frequency on the sectional...

Put me in the camp of just making sure you have the low altitude IFR charts and A/FDs for your route loaded into Foreflight.

And a couple of things I didn't see mentioned...but I didn't read every response in detail...

If you have a GPS in your panel and scroll thru the "nearest" options, one will be ATC frequency.

Make a running list of each frequency on your trip down. Keep that list for your trip back. Many times, but not always, your return trip will involve the same frequencies in reverse, especially if no class B or C approach frequencies are involved.

I find it quite satisfying when I make a long XC and have every hand-off frequency already dialed into the radio's standby before ATC gives it to me.

But I'm weird.

Last edited:
Flight following near the Chicago area. :rofl:

You're going to get a "Radar services terminated, squawk VFR, *try* Chicago approach on xxx.xx" And you won't get a response from them. You can try contacting Grissom approach around OXI.

I'm not convinced of the need for VFR-only private pilots to delve into IFR enroute charts. Especially since with an EFB, the information is no more than 2-3 taps away.

Even without an EFB there are plenty of options, both as part of preflight planning and in the air. AFD. Calling Flight Service. Asking other nearby facilities. Frequency panel on the sectional. Class B or C frequency on the sectional...

What's really funny is that I'm an IFR pilot and haven't touched an IFR enroute chart since my instrument checkride... I exclusively use the VFR chart.

Flight following near the Chicago area. :rofl:

You're going to get a "Radar services terminated, squawk VFR, *try* Chicago approach on xxx.xx" And you won't get a response from them. You can try contacting Grissom approach around OXI.

Agree with this 100% about Chicago. You may get a lucky spell if you are venturing through during a dead time (Sat morning). Grissom is one of my favorite groups of controllers. They're some of the nicest guys around (not that others aren't). I've had many of chats with ol' Grissom.

I get the "switch to my frequency" sometimes. This is after calling on the published frequency. Just go with it. ...
The reason for that is that the published frequency probably provides great line-of-sight communication within the sector for jets in the flight levels but at bugsmasher altitudes not so much. So "my frequency" will be a repeater that is closer to you than the main frequency site. The main site will soon be going out of sight from your altitude and hence becoming marginal, then maybe even unreachable.

Depending on where the repeaters are located, there may be more than one that will work on your route. If so, different controllers may give you different "my frequencies" when you get switched. Yet another reason why it's not possible to prepare a definitive list of ATC frequencies ahead of time.

If comm is lost, 121.5 works, but it's probably easier to call on your last ATC frequency and ask for a relay. There will almost always be an airplane that can hear both you and the ground station. He/she can get the next frequency for you.

What's really funny is that I'm an IFR pilot and haven't touched an IFR enroute chart since my instrument checkride... I exclusively use the VFR chart.
I bet that's not too unusual these days. IFR enroute charts have the advantage of lack of clutter for finding intersections, etc, and I used them most of the time before GPS and tablet EFBs for that reason. But since then I, like you, prefer using the sectionals for better situational awareness since I know the IFR en route charts are just two taps away. I pull them up when I feel I need them.

All of the above is good advice for
PLANNING

In the real world, ATC will tell you who/how to contact. They are the bottom line

I'm surprised there haven't been more responses suggesting looking at an approach plate for the airport nearest you that has an instrument approach. That's usually what I do when I don't know who to call.

But, the low enroute charts and the A/FD are good options too. Also, if you have a Garmin GPS they list the nearest ARTCC frequency based on your location.

Monitor 121.500 on your #2 radio. If some mistake happens and you're on the wrong freq or out of range for that freq, someone will try and contact you there.

As a reminder, we are supposed to monitor 121.5 when able. If for no other reason, it can be entertaining to listen to.

If you have a GPS that lists the approach and center frequecies for using an approach at the nearest airport, that is the frequency to use for Flight Following. Flight Following is not perfect though. Since its VFR, ATC does it on a "load permitting" basis. So expect some "adventures in ATC land". Which happen IFR too btw. Involving ATC in your flight is going to complicate things.

Dont forget to close your flight plan. Best reminder I had was to put my watch on my other wrist when I opened it. I never forgot to close a flight plan once I started doing that. Ive seen that work for other people too.

Last edited:

He asked for a way to get the frequencies. I provided.

I thought I was the only one who used a sectional more than an L-chart to plan my flights... Funny.
As a reminder, we are supposed to monitor 121.5 when able. If for no other reason, it can be entertaining to listen to.

I understand this and do so when able. There are a few entertaining transmissions that I've had a good laugh over, but the regional guys are working on my nerves with the child-like remarks they can make.

I understand this and do so when able. There are a few entertaining transmissions that I've had a good laugh over, but the regional guys are working on my nerves with the child-like remarks they can make.

Rereading my comment I can see where you might think I was singling you out on that. I just wanted to point out for everyone's sake that we're supposed to monitor 121.5 when able. :)

Rereading my comment I can see where you might think I was singling you out on that. I just wanted to point out for everyone's sake that we're supposed to monitor 121.5 when able. :)

It's all good. You'd be surprised at how many don't know this.

Did a similar flight back in May, from 3CK to KHAO which is just a few miles south of KOXD. Picked up my sister and niece and gave them a tour around Miami (and flew over KOXD). Watch out for traffic into Midway along the lakefront of Chicago. For some reason I encountered a 737 lower than usual and had to make a cautionary turn away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How do you get the MEAs then? Out west, that's an important component of planning a flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you get the MEAs then? Out west, that's an important component of planning a flight.

Being so unfamiliar with the West, I'll always fly the airways and MEA's. But, it's not very often that I'm out there.

Here in the flatlands, just add 1000' to the altitude number on the sectionals to be safe. 2000' if in the Appys/VT/NH/northern NY

rkiefer2 (OP), if you're still around:

If all this hasn't busted your bubble regarding compiling a correct list of frequencies, here's another reason that I don't think has been mentioned:

In many parts of the country is it possible to fly hundreds of miles with FF and never talk to a Center controller. It is very common for there to be MOUs that delegate low altitude sectors to TRACONs and, in more densely populated areas, for these sectors to abut each other. In these cases, you handoff will be from one TRACON controller to the next, then again to the next ...

A while back on a flight from Bowling Green, KY to Minneapolis we probably were in contact with a Center controller for only 30% of the flight. The rest of the time it was TRACON after TRACON and the published ARTCC frequencies were totally irrelevant.

This airspace delegation is not, AFIK, documented anywhere that mere pilots can see it. It probably even changes during the course of the day depending on TRACON working hours.

Here in the flatlands, just add 1000' to the altitude number on the sectionals to be safe. 2000' if in the Appys/VT/NH/northern NY

Must be nice.

At times, I'm looking for an IFR route that doesn't have me supplying O2 to the pax! :)

Find an airport in FF, go to its details page in Airports and look at the Frequencies section.

Back