Are you legal during the Eclipse?

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi.
How many will be flying, during the eclipse, and may, or may not be legal?

Edit: If you fly in the total zone?

Last edited:
If I'm not legal before the eclipse how would I be legal during the eclipse? Is this some sort of Druidic question?

Hi.

As far as I know, the NAS will remain open during the eclipse.

Sure you can. Many solar eclipses happen between sunset and sunrise, you just can't see them.
If we're being pedantic, all solar eclipses happen between sunset and sunrise somewhere. But not between sunset and sunrise local time in the viewing area of the eclipse.

Last edited:
POA members are cleared, I read it somewhere.

If you happen to be traversing the continent, only VFR qualified, and you suddenly find yourself in IFR conditions, what do you do?
This question should have its own thread.

If we're being pedantic, all solar eclipses harken between sunset and sunrise somewhere. But not between sunset and sunrise local time in the viewing area of the eclipse.
Hence the "you" - for *you*, it's only many, since some happen between sunrise and sunset for you. Of course, some of those you can't see either, even as a partial eclipse.

Hi.

How will two minutes of midday twilight affect the legality of anyone's flight? Night currency involves flying more than 30 minutes after civil twilight, which will be several hours after the eclipse shadow rushes by at ~2000 mph.

It's been a long time since I've flown in the dark - what with no nav lights and no medical. To bad the eclipse isn't total around here - it would give me that chance for a couple minutes.

What if you fly precisely along the International Date line; how do you log PIC time if the "time" never changes?

So does the side of the moon facing Earth become the dark side of the moon during an eclipse?
Part of the dark side faces Earth through all phases except full moon... but, to answer that question; There is no dark side during an eclipse because Earth reflects sunlight to light up the side facing us.

Last edited:
So there's no flying away to the dark side of the moon during the eclipse?

Ha! Take that Gary Wright!

Part of the dark side faces Earth through all phases except full moon... but, to answer that question; There is no dark side during an eclipse because Earth reflects sunlight to light up the side facing us.
Yep. At New Moon, the Moon sees a Full Earth. The Moon's shadow on the Earth during a solar eclipse is too small to significantly affect how much earthlight the Moon gets.

That said, though the Earth's surface has a higher albedo (average 0.3 for Earth vs. 0.12 for the Moon), I'm not sure just how bright it is on the night side of the Moon during "full earth". Certainly a lot brighter than it is on Earth under a full moon, though.

Yep. At New Moon, the Moon sees a Full Earth. The Moon's shadow on the Earth during a solar eclipse is too small to significantly affect how much earthlight the Moon gets.

That said, though the Earth's surface has a higher albedo (average 0.3 for Earth vs. 0.12 for the Moon), I'm not sure just how bright it is on the night side of the Moon during "full earth". Certainly a lot brighter than it is on Earth under a full moon, though.
Which begs the question: If the Earth is flat, is the Moon also flat?

Which begs the question: If the Earth is flat, is the Moon also flat?

Of course not. It's shaped like a donut:

Hollow-moon.jpg

Back