Are we really scared of our own shadows?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Went to a James Taylor concert in Columbia SC yesterday. Rowdy crowd, could have doubled as a retirement home but the show was great. Anyway, I get in line to get a beer. It's not exceptionally long but it's taking forever for anyone to get a beer.

There's 2 girls filling the orders and they're painstakingly cracking open beers and slowly pouring them into solo cups ( the cheap clear ones ) filled to the very top. Most everyone was spilling off the top 1/8 of the beer or so because just grabbing the flimsy cups sent beer everywhere.

So, I asked the girl if I could just have the can in the interest of saving time and not splashing beer everywhere and having a better vessel in which to transport it down 3 flights of stairs. She replied "no because you could use the can as a weapon". Nevermind the fact that I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket that security didn't notice nor the fact that you could walk 30' over to the merch table and pick up a sturdy ceramic coffee mug.

How big of ******* have we become? Can we seriously not trust each other with an opened beer can? who comes up with this ****?

That's a new one. A bottle I could sort of see as a weapon but I've never heard of a brutal can beating. If they were going to use stupid cups then why didn't they just buy kegs?

Most places have gone to plastic bottles. What they didn't check your ID !!!

It's happening everywhere. It's not the can, you can throw a can full of beer, that's the weapon. If you go to an event at the Georgia dome, you get soft drinks in a 16oz. bottle, you can't have the top.......yes I am serious. So now I just put a couple of tops in my pocket. And yes, we have become a society of puds, goes hand in hand with the society of everything being someone's fault.

I don't know guys...

I can see how there might be a significant chance of mayhem and terror if a bunch of old farts had beer cans in their hands when James launched into Steamroller.

They'd likely be crushing each other's false teeth with their miniature machines of destruction.

After all, false teeth, acid and beer don't mix.

:)

who comes up with this ****?

Lawyers, insurance companies, facility management, law enforcement, PR team, James Taylor, and an assorted list of other experts. Sounds like you were at a Live Nation venue. I refuse to attend anything associated with Live Nation after the BS over the Jimmy Buffett concert changes.

Ironically, we can still carry our own wine bottles, glass stem glasses, cheese knives, etc. onto the lawn for a concert at Wolf Trap. It's a National Park venue. Go figure.... Even smelled some, um, "aroma" at the Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young concert a few years back.

Sigh, people.

If you're scared just stay home, let the grown ups live life.

The modern, pansy-fied, helicopter parenting, fraidy boy, 'sensitive', generation was ruined by lousy public schooling, idiotic regulation, and cowardly zero tolerance policies to even understand the point of this thread.
No doubt some panty wearing metrosexual is working himself into a PMS style fit, right now, because the rest of us have challenged his evolved and in touch with his inner woman, hard core *****-ness

The modern, pansy-fied, helicopter parenting, fraidy boy, 'sensitive', generation was ruined by lousy public schooling, idiotic regulation, and cowardly zero tolerance policies to even understand the point of this thread.
No doubt some panty wearing metrosexual is working himself into a PMS style fit, right now, because the rest of us have challenged his evolved and in touch with his inner woman, hard core *****-ness

:yes:

lol, "do it for the chilllllllllllllldren".:D

if they served better beer people would be less likely throw the can

No, we're scared of the other guy's lawyer. Acts of violence on the premises due to that sort of thing are probably excluded from their liability coverage. Not sure what the exact wording would be, I'm not a lawyer. But we're a tort driven society, that's for sure.

You know what really ****es me off is when they have the two beer per purchase limit at a sporting event. When I go to Nascar, the hike to the nearest beer stand is quite a ways, so in order to have enough to keep me occupied for a while I have to:

1. Scab as many plastic bottle caps as I can salvage from wherever.

2. Go through the line and buy two beers.

3. Re-cap the beers because they pulled the caps off and chucked them.

4. Repeat the process until I have at least six beers.

5. Repeat step 2-4 at intervals.

I dont know if *we're* scared of our own shadows per se, so much as *they're* scared of liability / litigation if 'something' we to happen.

I suspect that the little minimum wage girl didn't know the real reason and just made something up. Or perhaps she was repeating something some other ignorant idiot told her.

Went to a James Taylor concert in Columbia SC yesterday. Rowdy crowd, could have doubled as a retirement home but the show was great. Anyway, I get in line to get a beer. It's not exceptionally long but it's taking forever for anyone to get a beer.

There's 2 girls filling the orders and they're painstakingly cracking open beers and slowly pouring them into solo cups ( the cheap clear ones ) filled to the very top. Most everyone was spilling off the top 1/8 of the beer or so because just grabbing the flimsy cups sent beer everywhere.

So, I asked the girl if I could just have the can in the interest of saving time and not splashing beer everywhere and having a better vessel in which to transport it down 3 flights of stairs. She replied "no because you could use the can as a weapon". Nevermind the fact that I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket that security didn't notice nor the fact that you could walk 30' over to the merch table and pick up a sturdy ceramic coffee mug.

How big of ******* have we become? Can we seriously not trust each other with an opened beer can? who comes up with this ****?

A few years back, my wife was riding her horse at the facility where we were boarding it at the time and it threw her. She cracked a vertebrae and ended up in a fairly expensive back brace for a while.

Our health insurance company sent out a questionnaire about the incident which was very clearly aimed at finding some way they could blame and sue the facility owners. I should now mention that this place is a non for profit organization that, among other things, provides therapy to veterans suffering from PTSD, kids with mental disorders, etc. We didn't bother sending them a reply and nothing more came of it.

The moral of this tale though is it may not be the general public at fault here as much as the insurance companies and their lawyers.

The girl might have said that but I'm pretty sure the real reason is that the vendor, being a commercial enterprise, wants to keep the cans for their CRV or recyclable value. When you're only getting eight bucks for an eight nine cent beer you gotta squeeze all you can.

The moment municipalities began hiring "Risk Managers" (and calling them "civil servants") I knew we were doomed.

In Iowa City, IA (always a pioneer of new age, left wing thought) this newly hired, paranoid SOB "advised against" (aka: "ordered") that beer or wine not be served at the airport's 1940s-themed hangar dance, held to celebrate the storied American Barnstormers Tour.

We were incredulous. When told that this would be the ONLY stop on the multi-State tour that would not allow beer or wine at a hangar dance, that SOB nearly burst with pride at being the first to outlaw fun on city property.

The dance was canceled, as was the tour stop when Iowa City flooded. I'm sure there was karma in there, somewhere. :)

Last edited:
Some of it's for convenience (ie - cheaper). You can get more drink orders filled per minute by grabbing a soft drink plastic bottle from a cooler than you can by filling a plastic cup with ice then filling it from a fountain.

Many years ago I went to a St Louis Blues hockey game, back in the old Checkerdome. I was getting some beers for me, my wife, and her friend. I was in line behind a guy that could only buy one beer because he wasn't 26 yet. I got my turn and ordered 1 large and 2 small. Nope, sorry, I can't sell you three beers. I'm way older than 26, why not? It's two beer limit, sir. OK - how about 2 large and one empty cup? OK, I can do that.

One time at a local air show the coordinators grossly underestimated the number of port-a-potties needed. The resulting ritual was that after standing in line to get your beer you'd immediately go to the end of the port-a-pot line, drink your beer, relieve yourself then get back in the beer line.

One time at a local air show the coordinators grossly underestimated the number of port-a-potties needed. The resulting ritual was that after standing in line to get your beer you'd immediately go to the end of the port-a-pot line, drink your beer, relieve yourself then get back in the beer line.

Pfft, that's what trees (or substitute whatever else here) are for.

3e1852a48212cde7c5baed972330eb6d.jpg

A few years back, my wife was riding her horse at the facility where we were boarding it at the time and it threw her. She cracked a vertebrae and ended up in a fairly expensive back brace for a while.

Our health insurance company sent out a questionnaire about the incident which was very clearly aimed at finding some way they could blame and sue the facility owners. I should now mention that this place is a non for profit organization that, among other things, provides therapy to veterans suffering from PTSD, kids with mental disorders, etc. We didn't bother sending them a reply and nothing more came of it.

The moral of this tale though is it may not be the general public at fault here as much as the insurance companies and their lawyers.

Ive had two of those. I caught a piece of backsplash off a steel target I was shooting and had to have surgery on my finger to remove the piece of shrapnel. Got the 'lets find someone to sue' letter from the insurance company and threw it away (especially since it was a good friend's range I was on).

The when I cracked a vertebrae skydiving got the same letter. Hmmm, *I* jumped out of the plane, *I* opened the parachute, *I* broke my back. Who exactly are you trying to sue!??

I would have assumed they would be selling Metamucil or Ensure at a JT concert, not beer. :D

Did JT play his old stuff and hits? Went to a Jackson Browne concert a year or two ago and he only played one or two old hits, and that seemed like a chore for him, d-bag.

Did JT play his old stuff and hits? Went to a Jackson Browne concert a year or two ago and he only played one or two old hits, and that seemed like a chore for him, d-bag.

Yeah, he left a couple out like "you've got a friend". It was 50/50 but his album that came out this year has been one of his best selling ever.

Went to a couple of Bob Dylan shows earlier this year. He barely sang any of his hot tunes and stuck to sleepers from the 2005 era.

I would have assumed they would be selling Metamucil or Ensure at a JT concert, not beer. :D

And old lady fell off her cane behind me cheering. The guy 2 down for her was unable to stand up to let people by. I saw many many oxygen tanks.

I dont know if *we're* scared of our own shadows per se, so much as *they're* scared of liability / litigation if 'something' we to happen.

I'm in the "There afraid of being sued camp". I'll bet somewhere, someone launched a full can of beer and the victim sued the venue.

That's a new one. A bottle I could sort of see as a weapon but I've never heard of a brutal can beating. If they were going to use stupid cups then why didn't they just buy kegs?

Take a pair of pliers, rip a can in half, smash the now jagged, sharp edges together, and use the top of the can as a makeshift handle. It is a good cutting weapon in a pinch if you do it right

I suspect that the little minimum wage girl didn't know the real reason and just made something up. Or perhaps she was repeating something some other ignorant idiot told her.

I can't speak for the concessionaire in question in this case, but most of the time the real reason for not allowing customers to possess the can or bottle is to make it harder for people to sneak their own beverages into the venue. Security guards and/or police are fed the same story about bottle and cans being potential weapons and are instructed to confiscate them for "security reasons," but the real reason is so the concession can force you to pay ten times the cost for the beer.

The way around this is to buy one beer, save the cup, and then sneak the cup and your smuggled beer into the ****ter (because it's the only place where you're probably not under surveillance -- at least officially), refill the cup from your smuggled stash, and leave the can or bottle behind.

When you use the porta-potty or restroom at a venue and it's littered with beer cans or bottles, or if you see people walking out of said accommodations with full cups of beer, that's the reason.

Rich

Back