Are there ANY EFIS that are certified for primary airspeed indication?

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
I need a new attitude indicator and I would like to go with a certified EFIS.
My DG is seven years old.
My dry vacuum pump is 3-4 years old.
My airspeed indicator probably needs an overhaul.
I would love to roll all this up into one or two units & dump the vacuum system.

Are there ANY EFIS that are certified for primary airspeed indication?

1993 Socata Tampico

The Dynon HDX is certified for primary airspeed and all other flight instruments.

Aspen and Garmin 3GX. I think the new Aspen E5 does not require a back instrument. Others many know for certain.

Aspen E5 doesn't require a backup AI, but I believe it does require standalone primary Indicated Airspeed, Altimeter, Turn/Bank, and Compass.

Dual G5 will work as well and won’t require a backup either if you install the dual system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought G5 still required an altimeter and ASI ?

The question is regarding airspeed indicator. Only the Dynon or G3X replace that (of the reasonably low-cost options). Possibly a multiple screen Aspen would do the same, but no single screen does. The G5 is not primary for airspeed either.

Dual G5 will work as well and won’t require a backup either if you install the dual system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you might wanna read the limitations section of the STC install manual, you are incorrect.

Sandia makes an attitude indicator that has airspeed, altitude, ball, VSI. It is certified as primary instruments no backup required. Has two hour battery.

G3x doesn't require a backup, but Needs another electronic AI to remove a vacuum. Hence most installs have a G5, which can also drive the GFC500

G3x doesn't require a backup, but Needs another electronic AI to remove a vacuum. Hence most installs have a G5, which can also drive the GFC500

Doesn’t the 3GX drive the GFC500 a/p? Surprised if it doesn’t.

The G3x does, indeed, drive the GFC500. The G5 will take over if you lose the G3x

Great. For some reason I never connected the G5 would take over A/P guidance should the 3GX fail. That redundancy is pretty nice. Thanks for confirming.

Great. For some reason I never connected the G5 would take over A/P guidance should the 3GX fail. That redundancy is pretty nice. Thanks for confirming.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. We actually tested it in the Bonanza and it is slick. AP disconnects, then you turn it back on and it starts taking direction from the G5.

Also, it's G3x.

Yes - It's the most redundant autopilot setup available for retrofit in GA, and even better than most of the factory-built stuff. The exception on factory-built is if you have a G1000+GFC700 with dual PFDs such as we have in the TBMs, either PFD can also drive the GFC700.

But, for the single-engine piston market, IMO the ability for either primary or backup EFIS to drive the autopilot is pretty compelling. It's certainly the reason I'm lusting after such a setup right now.

Hence he said the dual PFD set up on the TBM, which has dual AHRS.
Yes, just making the emphasis for the casual reader here (who is more likely to encounter a piston single G1000 than a TBM G1000) that dual screen isn't the same as dual PFD.

Yes, I'm digging up an old thread, but there appear to be new devices on the market that will do what I am asking without costing a fortune.
I stumbled across the GI 275 today. I've read part of the thread that talks about single primary, and either dual primary or primary with a back up instruments using them.
My plane is not fast. It does not climb fast. It is a slow, stable trainer with elbow room. While it technically CAN do IMC work, I wouldn't trust it for anything more challenging than punching through a layer of stable clouds or cruising along in them. It does not have an autopilot.
This takes me back to my original post:
"I need a new attitude indicator and I would like to go with a certified EFIS.
My DG is seven years old.
My dry vacuum pump is 3-4 years old.
My airspeed indicator probably needs an overhaul.
I would love to roll all this up into one or two units & dump the vacuum system."

My first reaction is that this is a good use case for a pair of GI 275s with battery backups.

Thoughts?

The G3x does not require a G5 backup for VFR. It needs a G5 and the nav equipment required by FARs to be IFR certified. The GPS inside the G3x is also VFR only

Just finishing the instal of two ADAHRS GI275 in a 182. One as primary AI 2nd is primarily HSI, backup AI it also adds a vfr gps. My understanding is that they can replace everything. I got rid of vacuum pump, AI, HSI, T&B, and 2nd elec AI. Kept but didn’t need to, air speed, VSI, and altimeter.
No vacuum, no gyroscopes left.
Only thing the G5 does better is it’s battery lasts 4 hours vs GI275’s 1 hour.
Problem with the EFIS is the cost.

Last edited:
Just finishing the instal of two AHARS GI275 in a 182. One as primary AI 2nd is primarily HSI, backup AI it also adds a vfr gps. My understanding is that they can replace everything. I got rid of vacuum pump, AI, HSI, T&B, and 2nd elec AI. Kept but didn’t need to, air speed, VSI, and altimeter.
No vacuum, no gyroscopes left.
Only thing the G5 does better is it’s battery lasts 4 hours vs GI275’s 1 hour.
Problem with the EFIS is the cost.
Just had the same installed and assuming you install all the required sensors, they can replace the entire 6-pack. Got rid of the altimeter. The VSI isn’t required regardless, but it went away. Kept the turn coordinator as it goes with the autopilot. Kept the airspeed as it displays MPH and the aircraft was certified in MPH and wanted the ADI to display knots.

This has me thinking. Is the cost of a G3x and a G5 about equivalent in price to dual GI275?

This has me thinking. Is the cost of a G3x and a G5 about equivalent in price to dual GI275?
Just going by list prices, a G3x/G5 combo is $10.2k while a GI275 AI/HSI combo is $8400. However, a G3x is going to require a lot more panel rework than a pair of GI275. Also, the GI275 has more interfacing capability with legacy analog equipment. The G3x is mostly digital-only.

Just going by list prices, a G3x/G5 combo is $10.2k while a GI275 AI/HSI combo is $8400. However, a G3x is going to require a lot more panel rework than a pair of GI275. Also, the GI275 has more interfacing capability with legacy analog equipment. The G3x is mostly digital-only.

Thanks for the insight. I think I’ll save the panel work for a future update when I upgrade gps, radios, etc.
I would imagine a panel rework could add up quick in labor.

The GI275 solution is useful when 1) you want to keep an old autopilot and still dump the vacuum system or 2) you want to keep the circle dial form. In general, installation costs on a GI275 set up is going to be less than a G3x, due to much less cutting and the like.

Back