Are Old Logged Hours Still Valid

Thanks for your input. It may very well come to switching and thank goodness for POA allowing me to come up with the other guy who has shown interest.

I'm taking off tomorrow to get in some practice and go to the avionics shop for a small job they need to finish for me. After that I will see what happens with my instructor and make a decision what to do.

I appreciate all the support I get on this forum. There are some really good people here.

Doc

It is almost Thanksgiving. Good to hear you are going to fly tomorrow, though (sounds like solo?)

Good luck on your instructor decision.

Thanks for your input. It may very well come to switching and thank goodness for POA allowing me to come up with the other guy who has shown interest.

I'm taking off tomorrow to get in some practice and go to the avionics shop for a small job they need to finish for me. After that I will see what happens with my instructor and make a decision what to do.

I appreciate all the support I get on this forum. There are some really good people here.

Doc

Drives me nuts when a student wants to learn and the instructor plays shenanigans with them - whether they be intentional or not.

When I take a student, I feel obligated to fly with them as often as I can..

Funny that you should ask, Kim! Yesterday was A Great Day Flying!

Wayne, a prominent POA member changed his plans just so that he could come and fly with me. He gave up his golf game for the day, so I really know I must rate since he was willing to do THAT!

I started the day by flying to KDUA for a small job at the Avionics shop. I had not flown there since before they resurfaced their runway. That runway is now like landing and taking off on the worlds biggest and most oblong pool table. It was great.

I got there early and filled up with fuel since it's $.62 cheaper than my home field. I called Wayne when I was done and he headed to his hangar and flew to Bonham. I got back to Bonham, had a quick bite to eat and just as I finished I heard a plane on downwind.

I went out to watch him land a sparkling polished Cessna 180. He squeezed it into a tight tie down spot next to my plane and I noticed it had a HUGE prop swinging. When he shut it off I discovered that it is a three blade prop. Turns out it has lots of extra engine to pull that huge prop. It also proved no surprise to see that it can just about hang on that prop. No shortage of thrust in that airplane.

We chatted a little and Wayne gave me a little ground training and we were in the plane. He went through so many things that my instructor has never mentioned, that my mind is still foggy trying to remember everything. He is massively experienced, massively knowledgable PLUS he's a GREAT teacher.

He has a way of teaching that is thorough, attention getting and non hostile. Everything from cockpit management to detailed flying methods. He has a way of asking questions to point out problems. He does it in a polite and professional manner. He just loves to fly and watch others learn to fly.

We went out to a practice area and did steep turns and turns about a point. To read this you probably think we didn't do much, but it was MASSIVELY helpful for me. He showed me subtle details and explained methods in a way that makes perfect sense.
We then came back in and did a few landings and tried flying a few inches above the runway to prepare for wheel landings, but I touched and had to land. It was a great exercise though and a step toward adding competent wheel landings to my repertoire.

Then came an added treat! He took me up in his 180 and let me fly it. The plane is absolutely pristine in appearance and even better in performance. When I got in he handed me a noise cancelling headset, I put it on, then he started it up. The engine is SO smooth and quiet, after we lifted off I pulled the headset back a little out of curiosity. Even with the headset off, the plane was so quiet it was unbelievable.

I flew it around a lake near the airport and then he took over and showed me a silk smooth wheel landing, all the while telling me how to do it.

Wayne LOVES to fly. He gave up his previously scheduled golf game on short notice to come and give me the best tutoring I could ever hope to get. He's a real gentleman, a great pilot and one of the best teachers I've ever met. He's right up there with my College Physics Professor who I have always considered one of the best teachers I ever knew. I don't even know how to begin to thank him.

After he left I took a break, visited with some airport buddies a little while then went back out to the practice area and did the whole routine of left and right steep bank 360's, a really good and precise turn around a point, an S Turn and a rectangle. If I can do all these things that well on the check ride, I might still flunk but it won't be over those maneuvers.

I think where I'm at now, is improving my instrument flying to an acceptable level and getting good at the specialty landings. I think my soft field take off is good enough and my short field over an obstacle might be. I'm also going to make some flow check lists the way that Wayne showed me and I think that will be worthwhile for the checkride and for better flying the rest of my flying career.

As soon as I get another flying day, I will burn the maneuvers further into my brain and work on some landings.

I'm definitely getting closer thanks to Wayne.

Doc

Last edited:
I got flying weather a few times since Wayne came over to tutor me. I can nail the in air maneuvers pretty well now.

Yesterday, my regular instructor came and flew with me in rough air at mid day. I satisfied him with the maneuvers and we did some more intstrument flying which got all but .1 hours of the under the hood time required for the check ride. When that .1 hours is logged, I will have flown all the experience requirements for the checkride.

He said that I am now real close. I nailed some of the specialty landings for him pretty well. He wants some more work under the hood. I need to do the 180 simulating flight into IMC to suit him and I don't think I'm missing much else.

He said he called the DPE and the guy has been sick, so he is supposed to call him early next week. It looks like I will make it by Christmas unless something unforeseen comes up or weather gets crazy.

SO, I guess it won't be long 'til I get to see what kind of crazy thing I do on the check ride.

Wayne's coming over to tutor me, helped me in several ways. It looks like I'm just about there.

Oh yes! About halfway into my flying with the instructor yesterday, he made a comment something like: "you're turning into a pilot." This encouragement plus the encouragement that Wayne gave me in the tutoring session has helped me forge ahead.

Doc

Last edited:
I got flying weather a few times since Wayne came over to tutor me. I can nail the in air maneuvers pretty well now.

Yesterday, my regular instructor came and flew with me in rough air at mid day. I satisfied him with the maneuvers and we did some more intstrument flying which got all but .1 hours of the under the hood time required for the check ride. When that .1 hours is logged, I will have flown all the experience requirements for the checkride.

He said that I am now real close. I nailed some of the specialty landings for him pretty well. He wants some more work under the hood. I need to do the 180 simulating flight into IMC to suit him and I don't think I'm missing much else.

He said he called the DPE and the guy has been sick, so he is supposed to call him early next week. It looks like I will make it by Christmas unless something unforeseen comes up or weather gets crazy.

SO, I guess it won't be long 'til I get to see what kind of crazy thing I do on the check ride.

Wayne's coming over to tutor me, helped me in several ways. It looks like I'm just about there.

Oh yes! About halfway into my flying with the instructor yesterday, he made a comment something like: "you're turning into a pilot." This encouragement plus the encouragement that Wayne gave me in the tutoring session has helped me forge ahead.

Doc
:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Doc

I am glad you are seeing him again. Sounds like you two got along and he will help you with your goal of being a private pilot by Christmas.

Good luck.

The other instructor at my field got his medical back! Hooray! My alternatives are increasing!

Wayne from here on the forum flew with me a few weeks ago and helped tremendously. My regular instructor has been involved in something else but is scheduled to ride with me at 10:00 tomorrow morning. I came to the airport this afternoon to do some practicing and another instructor on this field came over and let me know he got his medical back. I asked him to fly with me and critique my flying in prep for the checkride.

We went up for an hour and he put me through the paces. He said I did well, and one of the things my regular instructor says I need to work on, 180 while losing 500 feet while under the hood is not on the checkride. I'm going to look at the PTS tonight. He knows the DPE better than my regular instructor and told me alot of what to expect.

He gave me some good teaching and tips and boosted my confidence through the roof. I am hoping my instructor will sign me off for the checkride tomorrow.

I might end up a certificated pilot after all.

Doc

Flew 3.5 hours today, 2.5 with the instructor. He called the DPE before he left and I'm set up for a 9AM Wednesday checkride, so it's down to the wire.

I feel good about most everything except they have stuffed wheel landings in on me at the last minute. My instructor asked the DPE if I needed to do one for him. The DPE hemmed and hawed and said, yeah even if he bounces it in.

I'll be flight planning and practicing as much as possible 'til then.

Thanks for all the comments, feedback, encouragement and even in flight instruction by one of the members here (Wayne.) I'll do my best to make you all proud of me.

Doc

We are already Very Proud of you. Knock em dead, break a leg. .... Have fun, relax and just fly like you know how to do

Doc, don't forget the fly the runway centerline at 6" drill that we practiced. If you're level, it always results in a good wheel landing when you reduce power by ~100 RPM.
Flew 3.5 hours today, 2.5 with the instructor. He called the DPE before he left and I'm set up for a 9AM Wednesday checkride, so it's down to the wire.

I feel good about most everything except they have stuffed wheel landings in on me at the last minute. My instructor asked the DPE if I needed to do one for him. The DPE hemmed and hawed and said, yeah even if he bounces it in.

I'll be flight planning and practicing as much as possible 'til then.

Thanks for all the comments, feedback, encouragement and even in flight instruction by one of the members here (Wayne.) I'll do my best to make you all proud of me.

Doc

Certificated Private Pilot as of Dec 21, 2011, 2 PM CST.

Thanks a MILLION to all who have helped, encouraged, provided foggles and even came to give me flight instruction.

I'm usually not emotional about such things, but when I had to enter the date in my logbook, it occurred to me that today is my Dad's birthday. I lost him almost two years ago. He was a proud WWII veteran, a member of the Secretary of the Navy staff at war's end. Thinking abut this happening on his birthday, gave me a lump in my throat.

The write up will come in a new thread, probably tomorrow morning.

Thanks again! This forum has some really great and selfless people involved with it.

Doc

Congrats!!! Now you can start to work on that tricycle endorcement! Ha! Looking forward to the write up!

Last edited:
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Who'da thought that would ever happen?

Thanks a MILLION to all who have helped, encouraged, provided foggles and even came to give me flight instruction.

I'm usually not emotional about such things, but when I had to enter the date in my logbook, it occurred to me that today is my Dad's birthday. I lost him almost two years ago. He was a proud WWII veteran, a member of the Secretary of the Navy staff at war's end. Thinking abut this happening on his birthday, gave me a lump in my throat.

Thanks again! This forum has some really great and selfless people involved with it.

Doc

Congrats!!! Now you can start to work on that tricycle endorcement! Ha! Looking forward to the write up!

Good point! Do I need to now go work on my nosewheel endorsement?:D Since I solo'd first in a 150, maybe they'll give me a pass.:D

The DPE told my CFI to put the tailwheel endorsement in my logbook. So now, I have a full fledged tailwheel endorsement in my logbook. Nobody's pasture is safe now.:eek:

BTW, thanks to all for the comments and good words.

Doc

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!! :cheerswine: You've been through a lot of frustrating times and had a lot of roadblocks, but you persevered. :yes:

Doc

Congrats! I missed your announcement, as I've been neck deep in a bathroom remodel project at home. Way to go, PILOT!

I wish you would have PM'ed me since I've been gone from this site for a while. Looking forward to your checkride writeup and I'll send you a private note - there is something I need to give you. It was given to me when I passed my checkride but I will not be able to use it and I know you will.

Congratulations! What's next?

Kimberly

Back