Are Old Logged Hours Still Valid

I did part of my simulated instrument for my PP with a sectional folded and stuck under my headset. Both my CFI and I forgot the view limiting device. It worked...

John

It's very kind of you folks to offer me items for free.

I used a hood when I flew 20 years ago and liked it quite alot. I may try the foggles though. Since I do plan on going almost immediately into my instrument training, I will try the foggles and a hood. I wish I knew exactly which hood it was that I used 20 years ago since there are several types.

It looks like weather is not going to cooperate for my night flying or any kind of flying Friday night. I hate that I missed all the good Summer flying weather even though it was uncomfortable. This time of year the changing weather patterns don't offer as many flyable days for a rookie.

Doc

Hey Doc,

Well just send me a PM if you want them. I talked to a "potential pilot" last night who my Mom sent my way. His dad flies and he had questions about local flight schools. I told him if and when he could afford to start his training next year I would lend him my books / supplies in the beginning until he could get his own. But like I said that is not until January so you have first dibs.

Hey Doc,

Well just send me a PM if you want them. I talked to a "potential pilot" last night who my Mom sent my way. His dad flies and he had questions about local flight schools. I told him if and when he could afford to start his training next year I would lend him my books / supplies in the beginning until he could get his own. But like I said that is not until January so you have first dibs.
I just mailed him my pair, so yours are still available. :)

I just got off the phone with my instructor. We won't have flying weather tomorrow night, but he says we can do the night flying Monday night if the weather cooperates. He said I could plan my Long Cross Country and do it whenever the weather turns for me.

I expect to get it planned and if the weather will cooperate, I'll take off a whole day next week and knock it out. It is feasible that the night and long cross countries could be completed next week. After that it's a couple hours under the hood and checkride tune up time. Then I'm just back at trying to get him into the air for six or maybe 8 hours including the hood time. I expect to get more cross wind tailwheel time in there too.

We've had some seriously gusty winds the last few days and it appears they will go into the weekend. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel helps me get my second wind.

Doc

I just got off the phone with my instructor. We won't have flying weather tomorrow night, but he says we can do the night flying Monday night if the weather cooperates. He said I could plan my Long Cross Country and do it whenever the weather turns for me.

I expect to get it planned and if the weather will cooperate, I'll take off a whole day next week and knock it out. It is feasible that the night and long cross countries could be completed next week. After that it's a couple hours under the hood and checkride tune up time. Then I'm just back at trying to get him into the air for six or maybe 8 hours including the hood time. I expect to get more cross wind tailwheel time in there too.

We've had some seriously gusty winds the last few days and it appears they will go into the weekend. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel helps me get my second wind.

Doc

How far are you going to go on your long solo cross country? Have you done any hood time yet? My instructor sort of spread my hood time out over many lessons - no more than 0.3 each time.

We had lovely winds here today. It got worse than this later.

Acquaintance who flies CRJs did three go-arounds at DIA and finally planted the fourth, he said via Twitter...

aefdb630-9f34-d7ec.jpg

How far are you going to go on your long solo cross country? Have you done any hood time yet? My instructor sort of spread my hood time out over many lessons - no more than 0.3 each time.

I flew 1.1 hours under the hood 20 years ago and did great at it. It was the most praise that my curmudgeon instructor of that period ever gave me. I'm not too worried about it and I expect we will just go up and knock it out.

My cross country will have three airports away from home with a total of 154NM. It is over country that I know pretty well from the ground and have flown over some. More importantly, it is in the area where my checkride will take place, so hopefully I will be a little better prepared for my diversion.

I really look forward to the cross country because I haven't solo'd very far from home in twenty years.

Doc

We had lovely winds here today. It got worse than this later.

Acquaintance who flies CRJs did three go-arounds at DIA and finally planted the fourth, he said via Twitter...

aefdb630-9f34-d7ec.jpg

Two questions:

Was this a cross wind?????????

How did you get a capture of your IPhone screen? Did you just copy it and paste it into an email from your IPhone?

Doc

Two questions:

How did you get a capture of your IPhone screen? Did you just copy it and paste it into an email from your IPhone?

Doc
I can try to answer the second. Power & Home buttons simultaneously takes a screen capture and puts them with your other pictures. From there you can mail them or share them via FB or whatever, just like any other picture.

I can try to answer the second. Power & Home buttons simultaneously takes a screen capture and puts them with your other pictures. From there you can mail them or share them via FB or whatever, just like any other picture.

GREAT! Thanks very much for the coaching!

Doc

I flew 1.1 hours under the hood 20 years ago and did great at it. It was the most praise that my curmudgeon instructor of that period ever gave me. I'm not too worried about it and I expect we will just go up and knock it out.

My cross country will have three airports away from home with a total of 154NM. It is over country that I know pretty well from the ground and have flown over some. More importantly, it is in the area where my checkride will take place, so hopefully I will be a little better prepared for my diversion.

I really look forward to the cross country because I haven't solo'd very far from home in twenty years.

Doc

Cool. My instructor and I hit ALL 5 possible diversion airports before the checkride. This was so that I was comfortable and knew the area.

Two questions:

Not for me. I wasn't flying. ;) I was just watching the weather from work.

It probably was for some poor biz jet captain or two at KAPA yesterday though. :)

Runways are 17 and 28. 17's the long one. Most of the biz jets don't have any ops data for 28 and the few times I've heard the tower assign it to them they ask to hold somewhere while they dig in their books and figure it out. LOL!

As far as us bugsmashers go... Pick your poison. :)

Last edited:
Just for fun I ran the numbers...

Runway 17, wind 220 @ 41:
26.4 headwind
31.4 crosswind

Runway 28, wind 220 @ 41:
20.5 headwind
35.5 crosswind

I wouldn't be attempting either one. :)

WOW! This brings to mind a scene from the Flying Wild Alaska where two large Cessna's landed in a 40 knot cross wind. The angle with a telephoto lens from the end of the runway was spectacular. Both of them were crabbing at what appeared to be a 45 degree angle. It was an impressive thing to watch.

I don't think I'm ready for that situation and CERTAINLY not in my taildragger.

WOW! This brings to mind a scene from the Flying Wild Alaska where two large Cessna's landed in a 40 knot cross wind. The angle with a telephoto lens from the end of the runway was spectacular. Both of them were crabbing at what appeared to be a 45 degree angle. It was an impressive thing to watch.

I don't think I'm ready for that situation and CERTAINLY not in my taildragger.

http://www.youtube.com/user/taildrgfun#p/u/3/al5eA4WvqOk

The threat of fog forming in the middle of the night kept us from doing my night cross country last night. It had been a week since I was able to fly due to the weather and the conditions were okay yesterday afternoon albeit a 1,200 foot broken layer indicated.

I lifted off at 5:21, a little over 2 hours before Sunset. Thermals were coming up, but only moderately rough, not crazy rough like I have had to do so much of my flying in.

With an average fuel load I climbed out and went a couple thousand feet AGL to do a little test piloting. I killed power and then trimmed for my best glide speed. I then went back to the airport and landed and made a mark on the trim indicator with Red Metallic pin stripe tape. I now have a mark for best glide speed so I can quickly trim for it, should the dreaded power loss ever occur.

I then got in the pattern and did 9 more stop and go landings. The thermals settled down more and more with every go round. I made a couple of landings that were so great that my arm is sore this morning from patting myself on the back.

In the last months as I was leading up to solo, Henning, I think in this very thread, recommended that once I solo, that I should do 10 landings twice a day and then I would never doubt my landings again.

Although I've tried to get in lots of landings I haven't made ten a day, but he was exactly right in his recommendation. I now have I think about 40 landings since I was cut loose to fly any time on my own, and it really is cementing them into my brain.

It's too bad I couldn't do the night cross country last night, because the moon light was spectacular. I hope to knock it out soon.

Latest weather dependent training schedule.

If the weather is as predicted, I'm taking Friday off. I will do my long cross country, taking off at Sunrise. I'll get back, fuel up and hangar the plane then go home and rest. Then I meet my instructor at the airport at 6:30 to get ready to go on my night cross country.

If the weather cooperates and these two flights get successfully completed, all I have is 1.9 hours to do under the hood, then it is checkride tune up time.

I'm looking forward to buying lots of Avgas on Friday.

Latest weather dependent training schedule.

If the weather is as predicted, I'm taking Friday off. I will do my long cross country, taking off at Sunrise. I'll get back, fuel up and hangar the plane then go home and rest. Then I meet my instructor at the airport at 6:30 to get ready to go on my night cross country.

If the weather cooperates and these two flights get successfully completed, all I have is 1.9 hours to do under the hood, then it is checkride tune up time.

I'm looking forward to buying lots of Avgas on Friday.

Par-tay Par-tay!!!

:rollercoaster:

Next time we meet up, remind me to tell you about my night XC. It's something worthy of an action movie.

Long Cross Country Done!

I went on a four leg cross country and it was mostly uneventful (my favorite kind.)

I'm used to an 800'AGL traffic pattern and all three of these stops were 1,000' TPA. It threw me a little on the first stop. I was also a little worried about the 50' wide runway. I did two go arounds because I was too high, yeah I know, I should be ashamed. Once I put it down, 50' looked PLENTY wide.

The rest of it was fine although the airport on the second leg was tough to spot. The last leg I flew almost directly over my place and knew every inch of the land really well so I rarely even looked at the DG.

It got only slightly bumpy, nothing at all.

The worst part about it was that it was a "two sides of the chart" cross country. It's a pain refolding the chart while in flight, but Miss Piggy flies so well hands off that it was no trouble really, only a slight frustration.

Unless something drastic happens I go up in about 9 hours for my night cross country. Lots of flying today. I guess that means a GOOD day, right?

Doc

Long Cross Country Done!

I went on a four leg cross country and it was mostly uneventful (my favorite kind.)

I'm used to an 800'AGL traffic pattern and all three of these stops were 1,000' TPA. It threw me a little on the first stop. I was also a little worried about the 50' wide runway. I did two go arounds because I was too high, yeah I know, I should be ashamed. Once I put it down, 50' looked PLENTY wide.

The rest of it was fine although the airport on the second leg was tough to spot. The last leg I flew almost directly over my place and knew every inch of the land really well so I rarely even looked at the DG.

It got only slightly bumpy, nothing at all.

The worst part about it was that it was a "two sides of the chart" cross country. It's a pain refolding the chart while in flight, but Miss Piggy flies so well hands off that it was no trouble really, only a slight frustration.

Unless something drastic happens I go up in about 9 hours for my night cross country. Lots of flying today. I guess that means a GOOD day, right?

Doc

You said "cross country" but I guess you mean "solo cross country"? Did you have to meet with your instructor first to review the planning and then get a sign off?

Regardless, congratulations for an "uneventful" flight.

Kimberly

You said "cross country" but I guess you mean "solo cross country"? Did you have to meet with your instructor first to review the planning and then get a sign off?

Regardless, congratulations for an "uneventful" flight.

Kimberly

Yes, he met me at the airport at 6:30AM and I had everything ready. He looked it over, signed me off and went to breakfast.

This was the last of my cross country and solo requirement flying. I now have 1.9 hours under the hood, dual of course and the night cross country, dual of course which I expect to have out of the way about 3 or 4 hours from now.

After that it's all tune up for the check ride.

Even though there is no more solo flying required, I will be flying solo every chance I get until the check ride for the fun of it and to sharpen things as much as possible.

It looks getting it done by Christmas should be an almost for sure and by Thanksgiving completely within reach.

Doc

Congrats on the XC and the first of many "how the heck did I fill the entire cockpit with this chart?!" moments.

There are some cool folding tricks to avoid that which are hard to describe in text. Just think that the folds don't have to go the direction they go when the chart is ready to put it away. :)

Congrats on the XC and the first of many "how the heck did I fill the entire cockpit with this chart?!" moments.

There are some cool folding tricks to avoid that which are hard to describe in text. Just think that the folds don't have to go the direction they go when the chart is ready to put it away. :)

My home airport is located right near the part of the sectional where you have to flip it to the other side (not a fold but a flip).

What my CFI told me to do was make a color copy (I can do that at work). Then make another copy of the other side, tape them together to the back of my clipboard, and then I have a sort of "default" sectional for my immediate area. I never update it - though I should - it is more of a "just in case".

But a lot better than flipping.

Thanks for the chart tips. Now that I'm done with my training cross countries, I should do away with some of the need for charts after the checkride.

I put my IPhone with Foreflight on the yoke yesterday, but was determined to fly by ded reckoning with the GPS for emergency. I got to a point on my long cross country leg where there were two road bends that looked the same, so I turned on the GPS to see which one I was at. Other than that I navigated by Ded Reckoning.

I will always use charts, but the charts in Foreflight don't need refolding, so the paper will always be around, but not quite so heavily used.

I knocked out my night cross country last night and they were having an Antique Airplane fly in there. Avgas was also $.90 cheaper there. My instructor wanted to go back today for the Fly In but couldn't make it. He endorsed my logbook so I could solo there.

I went over and had a nice morning looking at all the old airplanes and talking to others that were asking questions about mine. With everyone watching I did probably the worst take off I've done since I solo'd. Oh well.

I've gotten LOTS of flying done in the last 36 hours or so.

Question: do your PIC cross country hours you fly during your private training count for cross country hours on your instrument and commercial requirements?

I can really hold altitude closely and hold an accurate heading now. Makes me almost feel like a pilot.

Doc

Thanks for the chart tips. Now that I'm done with my training cross countries, I should do away with some of the need for charts after the checkride.

I put my IPhone with Foreflight on the yoke yesterday, but was determined to fly by ded reckoning with the GPS for emergency. I got to a point on my long cross country leg where there were two road bends that looked the same, so I turned on the GPS to see which one I was at. Other than that I navigated by Ded Reckoning.

I will always use charts, but the charts in Foreflight don't need refolding, so the paper will always be around, but not quite so heavily used.

I knocked out my night cross country last night and they were having an Antique Airplane fly in there. Avgas was also $.90 cheaper there. My instructor wanted to go back today for the Fly In but couldn't make it. He endorsed my logbook so I could solo there.

I went over and had a nice morning looking at all the old airplanes and talking to others that were asking questions about mine. With everyone watching I did probably the worst take off I've done since I solo'd. Oh well.

I've gotten LOTS of flying done in the last 36 hours or so.

Question: do your PIC cross country hours you fly during your private training count for cross country hours on your instrument and commercial requirements?

I can really hold altitude closely and hold an accurate heading now. Makes me almost feel like a pilot.

Doc

Yes, the solo cross countries count toward the instrument rating requirements.

Well with the Long XC and the night XC done, the only other requirements flying I lack is 1.9 hours under the hood. I'm scheduled to fly with the instructor and have Foggles in hand thanks to Grant.

I knock out the Hood Time and tune up for the check ride. This might take awhile though. Not only is it hard to get time scheduled with the instructor, but I have to get comfortable with all the different landings and whatever else I need, so I'm sure it will be more than the three hours checkride prep that is required.

In the mean time I plan on shooting lots of landings and will probably go back to KGLE Gainesville when I can fly but the instructor is unavailable. It is 51NM over there, so every trip I take there will be PIC Cross Country time in my logbook to go toward my IR and Commercial.

Let's say that I'm able to get ready for the checkride in 6 hours plus the hood time. If that happens I usually can fly two hours a week with the instructor so that should be about 4 weeks and then a week or two lag for scheduling the DPE. If all goes well, I would think that it would be conceivable having the checkride behind me before or about Thanksgiving.

I'm at a point now where I can go fly a cross country or do stop and go's any time the weather allows. It's a good feeling and I have my next milestone in sight.

Doc

Well with the Long XC and the night XC done, the only other requirements flying I lack is 1.9 hours under the hood. I'm scheduled to fly with the instructor and have Foggles in hand thanks to Grant.

I knock out the Hood Time and tune up for the check ride. This might take awhile though. Not only is it hard to get time scheduled with the instructor, but I have to get comfortable with all the different landings and whatever else I need, so I'm sure it will be more than the three hours checkride prep that is required.

In the mean time I plan on shooting lots of landings and will probably go back to KGLE Gainesville when I can fly but the instructor is unavailable. It is 51NM over there, so every trip I take there will be PIC Cross Country time in my logbook to go toward my IR and Commercial.

Let's say that I'm able to get ready for the checkride in 6 hours plus the hood time. If that happens I usually can fly two hours a week with the instructor so that should be about 4 weeks and then a week or two lag for scheduling the DPE. If all goes well, I would think that it would be conceivable having the checkride behind me before or about Thanksgiving.

I'm at a point now where I can go fly a cross country or do stop and go's any time the weather allows. It's a good feeling and I have my next milestone in sight.

Doc

Wow, you're way ahead of me. On the few solo's I did outside of the required 5 hours of XC, I only stayed in my own pattern or flew to the practice area. I did a short "cross country" (less than 25nm) to practice picking up the DPE at a nearby airport - but otherwise my solo time stayed pretty close to the required minimums.

That is neat how you can solo now, even when your instructor is not available, so that you don't lose any of your skills.

Oh, and I'm sure your "takeoff with an audience" wasn't that bad. Though I have noticed when people are watching me from the ground I tend to mess up.

Yes, I can solo to anywhere within 25NM which includes the airport where I need to go for some Avionics work and to the Gainesville airport since he flew there with me he was able to endorse me to go there.

So that means I can do pattern work, and a few other airports I can go to most importantly the one far enough away to be XC time that has CHEAP gas. HOPEFULLY within about six weeks I can go to ANY airport I want to, if you know what I mean.

BTW Kim, I think you're going to take to the taildragger real well. While I was trying to train my feet I was also in the process of having to improve my approaches. That part of it you already have down. I think you'll solo in short order.

If you could do your TW work in a 140 like mine, then you would REALLY be at home. In the air it flies VERY much like a 150/152 even with the same control placement.

Doc

BTW Kim, I think you're going to take to the taildragger real well. While I was trying to train my feet I was also in the process of having to improve my approaches. That part of it you already have down. I think you'll solo in short order.

She has more unlearning to do :D

Hey! Good luck getting your ticket soon (not that you will need it). It is nice to be cut loose from the apron strings.

I've found myself hand propping a bit in solo conditions, no one to call for a start, so.. I carry a set of chocks that have a rope tied to them.

Step 1 - Confirm mags cold. Put the chocks on one of the mains or the tailwheel.
Step 2 - Confirm mags cold. Pull the prop through a time or three.
Step 3 - Confirm mags hot. Confirm chocks in place.
Step 4 - Hand prop.
Step 5 - Crawl in your bird, pull the chocks in with you. ;)

Doc,

This was posted in another thread but it features a 140 and this video is about hand propping.

I have not heard of this "tailwheel journal" site before. Lots of videos.

Kimberly

http://tailwheelersjournal.com/handprop.html

Kim,

Thanks for the link. I saw one video worth watching on that site where he was doing a dead stick landing in a 140. When I say dead stick, I MEAN dead sticking. He cut the engine completely OFF. He came around at a sharp angle straightening with the runway right at touchdown. Something tells me this guy has a couple hundred hours or maybe even more.:D

BTW, I'm supposed to go up with the instructor this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon and it appears that the weather will cooperate. That should get me to within 3 or 4 training hours of the checkride.

Doc

I've found myself hand propping a bit in solo conditions, no one to call for a start, so.. I carry a set of chocks that have a rope tied to them.

Step 1 - Confirm mags cold. Put the chocks on one of the mains or the tailwheel.
Step 2 - Confirm mags cold. Pull the prop through a time or three.
Step 3 - Confirm mags hot. Confirm chocks in place.
Step 4 - Hand prop.
Step 5 - Crawl in your bird, pull the chocks in with you. ;)

I make sure I have the tail tied down. Period. Chocks are fine unless the throttle is open just a little too much. As more than a few people have found out.

50' of 3/8" line is a handy thing to have around in any case.

(I have the chocks on a string as well)

Kim,

Thanks for the link. I saw one video worth watching on that site where he was doing a dead stick landing in a 140. When I say dead stick, I MEAN dead sticking. He cut the engine completely OFF. He came around at a sharp angle straightening with the runway right at touchdown. Something tells me this guy has a couple hundred hours or maybe even more.:D

BTW, I'm supposed to go up with the instructor this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon and it appears that the weather will cooperate. That should get me to within 3 or 4 training hours of the checkride.

Doc

That is good news. Also, they have started another thread about that video - the dead stick landing. There is much discussion on POA about it.

I can find you the link here if you are interested.

Kimberly

Back