Are Old Logged Hours Still Valid

A step backwards!

I flew in really rough air and a pretty good crosswind yesterday. We went up and:

Did some maneuvers - I did okay with some 360's in spite of the rough air
Flew under the hood - I didn't do bad, but when I flew 20 years ago I was a SuperStar at this

Took a Step Backwards!

I went up yesterday in ROUGH air and a stiff crosswind on the runway. Here's the results:

Maneuvers - did pretty good at 360's and flying around a point, especially considering the conditions

Simulated emergency landing - I NAILED IT!

Under the Hood - So - So, but when I flew 20 years ago I was a Super Star at this.

Landings - This is where I was back sliding. The rattling of the rough air is what I THINK caused me to keep coming in fast. I was flaring high and then really paying the price when the crosswind got a hold of me. Very discouraging.

I fly with him again tonight and we are going up a little later to hopefully not have such drastic thermal action. There are lots of high gusty winds in next weeks forecast, so now I'm not so sure that Thanksgiving will come and go as a Private Pilot.

Doc

Took a Step Backwards!

I went up yesterday in ROUGH air and a stiff crosswind on the runway. Here's the results:

Maneuvers - did pretty good at 360's and flying around a point, especially considering the conditions

Simulated emergency landing - I NAILED IT!

Under the Hood - So - So, but when I flew 20 years ago I was a Super Star at this.

Landings - This is where I was back sliding. The rattling of the rough air is what I THINK caused me to keep coming in fast. I was flaring high and then really paying the price when the crosswind got a hold of me. Very discouraging.

I fly with him again tonight and we are going up a little later to hopefully not have such drastic thermal action. There are lots of high gusty winds in next weeks forecast, so now I'm not so sure that Thanksgiving will come and go as a Private Pilot.

Doc

At first I thought I'd trade my marine layers for your winds, but now I'm not so sure. I don't remember much wind or turbulence (sure there were some of each, but not extreme) . . . but I do remember that pesky marine layer closing in on me more than once - making me go back to the airport in a hurry or never leave at all.

Yep winds or fog/clouds is hard to choose between. I think the wind would be safer. If you crack up due to high wind it will probably close to the ground at a slower speed.

Grounded for Awhile!:mad2:

My spinner came off and nicked up my prop pretty bad. I couldn't fly this evening. My IA is going to look at it in the morning, but I'm pretty sure it will have to come off and go to the prop shop.

Another week or more of delay and getting rusty in my flying.

What can I say?
Doc

Grounded for Awhile!:mad2:

My spinner came off and nicked up my prop pretty bad. I couldn't fly this evening. My IA is going to look at it in the morning, but I'm pretty sure it will have to come off and go to the prop shop.

Another week or more of delay and getting rusty in my flying.

What can I say?
Doc

Everyone keeps telling me to own an aircraft but I hate it when I read about things like this! David / Jesse posted stories of his mechanical issues this week, too. And a pilot I'm flying with Sunday said his transponder keeps acting up which has prevented him from going to certain fly-ins.

I will stick to renting.

Sorry for your troubles! When you become a CFI you will already know to expect the unexpected.

Kim,

Aircraft ownership is not for every pilot. There are a zillion reasons why you SHOULD own and a zillion reasons why you should NOT own.

Owning vs. renting is a decision that has to fit your particular needs. It sounds like you are making the right decision for you, at least at this point.

How is your spinner? Any updates? Are you still grounded?

I agree about aircraft ownership - most people who tell me to own have perhaps forgotten the thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt I racked up (and am now paying off) during my training. I need to focus on that and other more important things, financially, right now. I have a car loan which is VERY close to being paid off. I do not think I should own a plane until much later in life, when I have savings, and my finances, under control. I am happy to be a passenger in other people's planes and rent my own plane for now.

How is your spinner? Any updates? Are you still grounded?

I agree about aircraft ownership - most people who tell me to own have perhaps forgotten the thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt I racked up (and am now paying off) during my training. I need to focus on that and other more important things, financially, right now. I have a car loan which is VERY close to being paid off. I do not think I should own a plane until much later in life, when I have savings, and my finances, under control. I am happy to be a passenger in other people's planes and rent my own plane for now.

I took my prop to the prop shop yesterday and I think I will be able to pick it up Saturday. It is very simple to put on and safety wire, but I would have to get a sign off from my IA, so I'll just let him put it on Monday. The logs have not seen a prop overhaul since the engine was STC'd onto the plane in the seventies, so I will have a fresh prop overhaul.

I will order a spinner this morning so it will be here in time for prop installation.

I totally understand your not buying a plane at this point in life and feel that it is the right decision. I would have kept flying 20 years ago, had I been able to put a plane in my budget at that time. An airplane is something I've never been willing to go in debt for. I just wasn't ready until I could pay cash for the plane and have cash reserve for maintenance and emergencies. This is particularly true in an economy like we're dealing with in today's world.

Doc

I took my prop to the prop shop yesterday and I think I will be able to pick it up Saturday. It is very simple to put on and safety wire, but I would have to get a sign off from my IA, so I'll just let him put it on Monday. The logs have not seen a prop overhaul since the engine was STC'd onto the plane in the seventies, so I will have a fresh prop overhaul.

I will order a spinner this morning so it will be here in time for prop installation.

I totally understand your not buying a plane at this point in life and feel that it is the right decision. I would have kept flying 20 years ago, had I been able to put a plane in my budget at that time. An airplane is something I've never been willing to go in debt for. I just wasn't ready until I could pay cash for the plane and have cash reserve for maintenance and emergencies. This is particularly true in an economy like we're dealing with in today's world.

Doc

Thanks, I was just talking to a guy about this on Sunday. He gave me a ride in his plane. He says he knows lots of guys who had to take out a second mortgage on their house just to buy an airplane. I need to worry about things right now such as my career, possibly marriage / family / etc . . . not some "toy" that will end up eating a lot of money when I least expect it because the flap motor fails or an instrument needs replacement or the annual finds something bad. I am very happy renting right now. Many people say that unless I rent 100 or more hours a year (without anyone giving me money such as splitting it) then and only then will I benefit from ownership.

Kim,

You apparantly have your priorities in order IMHO. If you keep flying and maintain your interest, the time will come when it is right for you to buy your own plane. It is also not out of the realm of possibility that you might find some other path toward building hours. Maybe flying professionally at some point or something like that.

I sure am anxious to get my prop back. My wife, her twin sister and myself are going to the Dallas area for a Paul Simon concert Friday night so this weekend will be out for flying anyway. Staying on the ground takes some of the starch out of my life.

Doc

Kim,

You apparantly have your priorities in order IMHO. If you keep flying and maintain your interest, the time will come when it is right for you to buy your own plane. It is also not out of the realm of possibility that you might find some other path toward building hours. Maybe flying professionally at some point or something like that.

I sure am anxious to get my prop back. My wife, her twin sister and myself are going to the Dallas area for a Paul Simon concert Friday night so this weekend will be out for flying anyway. Staying on the ground takes some of the starch out of my life.

Doc

Props are over rated. Just trailer it to the top of a hill

Thanks Captain! I enjoyed it a lot. I wonder if this guy goes to the Doctor for Adrenalin shots on the days that he's not flying.

I would do that except my airport is at 621' and besides, the lack of prop would throw off my W & B calculations. If these aren't good enough excuses, I'll for sure come up with some more!

Doc

Thanks Captain! I enjoyed it a lot. I wonder if this guy goes to the Doctor for Adrenalin shots on the days that he's not flying.

I would do that except my airport is at 621' and besides, the lack of prop would throw off my W & B calculations. If these aren't good enough excuses, I'll for sure come up with some more!

Doc

He is having way too much fun with his airplane.

So Doc, it sounds like you will be back in the air next week if all goes according to plan?

Do you have time on your CFI's schedule set up? I know you are getting close and want to finish by Thanksgiving.

Kimberly

I should have my prop back Saturday and everything I need for it to be airworthy Monday. It's too far out for a weather report, but I plan on talking to him this weekend. I expect we can fly Monday evening if the weather permits, but with him you never know.

I'm thinking that about 3 or 4 more 1.5 hour lessons and plenty of stop and go's on my own should get me ready. Unless some unforeseen delay pops up, I still hope for Thanksgiving. I'll try not to worry about this prediction when I'm posting my checkride write up on Christmas.

Sometimes you just can't win! I now have the prop back on my plane and it's ready to fly. NOW they have the runway down for maintenance. I guess the next thing will be an all Winter long blizzard.

Frustrating!
Doc

Sometimes you just can't win! I now have the prop back on my plane and it's ready to fly. NOW they have the runway down for maintenance. I guess the next thing will be an all Winter long blizzard.

Frustrating!
Doc

This is not good. When is the runway going to be back up?

Thanks, I was just talking to a guy about this on Sunday. He gave me a ride in his plane. He says he knows lots of guys who had to take out a second mortgage on their house just to buy an airplane. I need to worry about things right now such as my career, possibly marriage / family / etc . . . not some "toy" that will end up eating a lot of money when I least expect it because the flap motor fails or an instrument needs replacement or the annual finds something bad. I am very happy renting right now. Many people say that unless I rent 100 or more hours a year (without anyone giving me money such as splitting it) then and only then will I benefit from ownership.

In your situation the closest I would get to ownership is membership in a flying club. You sacrifice the ability to just jump in the airplane and go because you have to schedule around other members, but you gain by sharing the fixed costs such as insurance, hangaring, etc. I was a club member (after I got my private) from Commercial through CFI and recommend clubs highly.

Bob Gardner

In your situation the closest I would get to ownership is membership in a flying club. You sacrifice the ability to just jump in the airplane and go because you have to schedule around other members, but you gain by sharing the fixed costs such as insurance, hangaring, etc. I was a club member (after I got my private) from Commercial through CFI and recommend clubs highly.

Bob Gardner

Thanks, Bob, but I'm currently going 1-3 weeks without flying and my flight school allows me to rent without being a club member (for $10 per hour more). This means that if I don't fly, I don't pay. I do not have any "extra" money every month to give away to a private flying club, and in fact I am working a second job to fly, so this works for me right now.

Thanks, Bob, but I'm currently going 1-3 weeks without flying and my flight school allows me to rent without being a club member (for $10 per hour more). This means that if I don't fly, I don't pay. I do not have any "extra" money every month to give away to a private flying club, and in fact I am working a second job to fly, so this works for me right now.

Kim,

I don't think you're giving up anything by not owning. I own and I haven't been in the air for 2 weeks and 3 days.

It's a good thing I bought a plane though, because I'm now so frustrated with delays, the worst of which I can't even get my instructor to call me to schedule time, that if I did not have my investment to deal with and weren't so close to being finished, I would be tempted to walk away.

I wish I could find another instructor that would honor all the flying I've done and just fly with me to finish me up and sign me off. They all seem to say that they have to do all the flying with me from the beginning. I have six days of floating holidays to burn before years end. I would travel somewhere and finish up. I'm at the end of my rope.

Doc

Kim,

I don't think you're giving up anything by not owning. I own and I haven't been in the air for 2 weeks and 3 days.

It's a good thing I bought a plane though, because I'm now so frustrated with delays, the worst of which I can't even get my instructor to call me to schedule time, that if I did not have my investment to deal with and weren't so close to being finished, I would be tempted to walk away.

I wish I could find another instructor that would honor all the flying I've done and just fly with me to finish me up and sign me off. They all seem to say that they have to do all the flying with me from the beginning. I have six days of floating holidays to burn before years end. I would travel somewhere and finish up. I'm at the end of my rope.

Doc

I think you should start another thread. There are CFI's on here who may be willing to come to you for the cost of a plane ticket etc which would be cheaper than you traveling and renting a taildragger.

Kimberly

It's difficult for me to consider my instructor a flake. Yes, he's been tough to get to schedule time, but he is a GREAT guy. I've gotten to be good friends with he and his wife.

To make it worse, he finally called me last night and he has hurt his shoulder and back and says he can't even climb into my plane. I don't want to just tell him to pound sand and go somewhere else unless I have to. We are supposed to have flying weather again the middle of next week. If he's not ready to get in a plane by that time, I will tell him that I have to find someone else.

There's no one else to find at my field, but I can legally fly to three other fields, one of which where the DPE flies. The DPE has a 140 like mine, so he obviously is a tailwheel guy. I'm going to talk to him first.

Is it legal for the DPE himself or herself to be your instructor as well?

Anyway I have lots of personal stuff going on for the next three or four days, so except for taking advantage of a nice flying day and doing some stop and go's this afternoon, I will have this issue on the back burner until mid next week.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and moral support!
Doc

My understanding is that they're not allowed to be the instructor who signs you off for the checkride. I think that they can give some instruction to their candidates, though. Someone else will need to pipe in on that.

It's difficult for me to consider my instructor a flake. Yes, he's been tough to get to schedule time, but he is a GREAT guy. I've gotten to be good friends with he and his wife.

To make it worse, he finally called me last night and he has hurt his shoulder and back and says he can't even climb into my plane. I don't want to just tell him to pound sand and go somewhere else unless I have to. We are supposed to have flying weather again the middle of next week. If he's not ready to get in a plane by that time, I will tell him that I have to find someone else.

There's no one else to find at my field, but I can legally fly to three other fields, one of which where the DPE flies. The DPE has a 140 like mine, so he obviously is a tailwheel guy. I'm going to talk to him first.

Anyway I have lots of personal stuff going on for the next three or four days, so except for taking advantage of a nice flying day and doing some stop and go's this afternoon, I will have this issue on the back burner until mid next week.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and moral support!
Doc

Bummer, dude.

I would think that the DPE would have a pretty good idea of who is around and could get the job done.

Last edited:
Keep me posted. I know I can help you find a CFI at one of those other airports too if you need it. Good luck next week.

If he's hurt and can't get in your aircraft, I'd ask *him* who he recommends continue your training and also ask him to call the other CFI and get them up to speed on where you're at and how you're doing.

Well, I got to fly Friday afternoon. I did 10 stop and go's and one touch and goaround. This was in about an 8 or 10 knot crosswind. Got my confidence back.

The instructor was still in pain. The key question is "will he be able to fly Thursday?" That's the next time it looks like decent flight training weather. I expect that if he's not healed by then, he's out of action for a length of time that will force me to come up with an alternative. My fingers are crossed. I'm so close I really don't want to change instructors at this stage of the game.

My plane did great with the fresh prop.

Doc

Well, I got to fly Friday afternoon. I did 10 stop and go's and one touch and goaround. This was in about an 8 or 10 knot crosswind. Got my confidence back.

The instructor was still in pain. The key question is "will he be able to fly Thursday?" That's the next time it looks like decent flight training weather. I expect that if he's not healed by then, he's out of action for a length of time that will force me to come up with an alternative. My fingers are crossed. I'm so close I really don't want to change instructors at this stage of the game.

My plane did great with the fresh prop.

Doc

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for Thursday.

My guess is that since you got to fly - the runway is fixed now?

Yep, the runway is finished. Unfortunately all they did was crack sealing. It needs MAJOR work. I suppose it's good training though for taking off and landing in a pasture. I think my pastures are smoother than this runway. At least it's open and doesn't keep me from flying.

Okay! My instructor can now climb into an airplane and seems to be pretty well healed up. Of course I expect he may still be difficult to schedule time with.

In the course of awaiting his status and worrying about whether he would fly again, one of the CFI's who frequents this site and lives nearby offered to finish me up. I talked with him and was quite impressed. He sounds like a great guy and just wants to help. I was greatly appreciative and I'm convinced I could fly several hours with him a few days and be ready for the checkride.

The problem with taking advantage of this offer is that I have gotten to be good friends with my instructor and I don't want to be disloyal in any way. If I can't fly enough with my current instructor, I might fly with the other gentlemen to accelerate my learning and just not log the time, which I don't need anyway.

The good news is that I flew an hour and a half with my current instructor last night and did really well. I'm knocking out 360's while pretty much nailing the altitude and angle, easily staying within a 100 feet of the altitude and probably more like within 20 feet. I did better under the hood, although I need a little more polish in this area.

Soft field take offs, no sweat, in fact quite easy and fun in a taildragger. The other specialty landings we just haven't done much, so I don't know how much more work I need on that.

The only logbook requirement time left is .7 hours more under the hood, but if I don't finish getting to the level I need to be with this it will take more. Then once I get down all the specialty takeoffs and landings, I think I'll be ready. I currently can slip, but don't feel completely comfortable with it, so I want to do this and will even ask him for this work if he doesn't bring it up.

It is really great to come up with a willing and able instructor through this forum. There are some really top notch people posting here. Even if my current instructor finishes me up, I plan on flying with the one I met here, because it sounds like it will be enjoyable to meet him, fly with him and get more coaching and learning.

Doc

Okay! My instructor can now climb into an airplane and seems to be pretty well healed up. Of course I expect he may still be difficult to schedule time with.

In the course of awaiting his status and worrying about whether he would fly again, one of the CFI's who frequents this site and lives nearby offered to finish me up. I talked with him and was quite impressed. He sounds like a great guy and just wants to help. I was greatly appreciative and I'm convinced I could fly several hours with him a few days and be ready for the checkride.

The problem with taking advantage of this offer is that I have gotten to be good friends with my instructor and I don't want to be disloyal in any way. If I can't fly enough with my current instructor, I might fly with the other gentlemen to accelerate my learning and just not log the time, which I don't need anyway.

The good news is that I flew an hour and a half with my current instructor last night and did really well. I'm knocking out 360's while pretty much nailing the altitude and angle, easily staying within a 100 feet of the altitude and probably more like within 20 feet. I did better under the hood, although I need a little more polish in this area.

Soft field take offs, no sweat, in fact quite easy and fun in a taildragger. The other specialty landings we just haven't done much, so I don't know how much more work I need on that.

The only logbook requirement time left is .7 hours more under the hood, but if I don't finish getting to the level I need to be with this it will take more. Then once I get down all the specialty takeoffs and landings, I think I'll be ready. I currently can slip, but don't feel completely comfortable with it, so I want to do this and will even ask him for this work if he doesn't bring it up.

It is really great to come up with a willing and able instructor through this forum. There are some really top notch people posting here. Even if my current instructor finishes me up, I plan on flying with the one I met here, because it sounds like it will be enjoyable to meet him, fly with him and get more coaching and learning.

Doc

This is great news, now you have a backup. And maybe someone to do flight reviews with every two years, etc. Do you plan to do instrument training? If so, does this other person do that?

This is great news, now you have a backup. And maybe someone to do flight reviews with every two years, etc. Do you plan to do instrument training? If so, does this other person do that?

I'm already ahead of you. The new fellow who is a poster here, hangars at Addison which is not that far away, although it is a BUISY GA airport. When I spoke with him, he said that he doesn't teach basic flight any more with any regularity, but typically teaches instrument training and does BFR's and such.

He is a kind person and was just trying to help me out. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't do my instrument training. Yes, I am planning on instrument, commercial and CFI ratings, so going at the pace that my current instructor is going would probably not cut it.

I'm really looking forward to flying with him and it may happen soon. It might be that I end up with a good weather day when my current instructor won't fly with me, and he can get me some training and tuning from a different perspective.

Doc

Awesome. Keep us updated. Also, I have been given some items that I would like to give to you when you pass your checkride! They are both new and both aviation related but I know you will use them (and I won't). They were donated by vendors for our silent auction at the 99s and then given to me as a gift for passing my checkride since the bidders did not pick them up.... If you PM me your address I will send them when you are an official pilot..... glad I get to give you a gift after all - !!!

Kimberly

Well I flew 2.8 hours yesterday with my instructor. It was good news/bad news.

It's good news that I was able to fly since once a week is about all that's happening, mostly due to lots of 25MPH and better gusty days. It seems like we get one student flying day a week right now. It's also good that my instructor is healthy enough to fly although I still have trouble getting him to schedule.

The bad news was that my flying stunk! It was a moderately rough air day, so I guess I can blame some of it on that, but he was not satisfied at all with my lack of precision. We did 360's, rectangles, hood work, two minute 360's, steady descents and several specialty landings and take offs.

I did the best on the landings and take offs, but I have a lot of work to do on the precision flying according to him. I also did well on tracking to a VOR.

In retrospect, I had drifted away from my earlier efforts to trim alot as I learned from Cary. I also feel if I could fly more frequently it would help this. Lastly if I had smooth air I know all this would improve drastically, but I can't plan on smooth air for the checkride, since it will probably be mid day.

This is all discouraging. If I could get some flying weather in which to practice on my own, maybe I could overcome some things. In a few weeks the weather will get to a point where I won't be able to fly much at all. I was hoping that yesterday's "fly my butt off" day would have him ready to schedule the checkride, but that clearly is not in the near future. I'm not sure that it will even happen by Christmas.

Oh well!

Doc

Why is your instructor so hard to schedule?

Is he a full time instructor or part time?

He still sounds like a flake to me..

When it comes to scheduling he is indeed a flake. He has lots of things going in his life, some legitimate like spending lots of time taking his wife to the doctor as she is contracting a serious level of Glaucoma. Other reasons are just other things that he wants to do like club meetings and events involving other hobbies.

Except for the difficulty to schedule time with him, he's a great guy and a good instructor. I have come this far with him and I hate to change instructors now. If a good flying day comes when he can't or won't fly I am going to try to get some tutoring from a member of this forum who I have spoken with.

Until the person from this forum contacted me I had NO other CFI possibilities in my boondocks area. If there had been an alternative earlier in my training cycle I would most certainly have explored it.

Doc

If you can't get him to fly with you, on your schedule, you'll never get done.

It's your training, not his.

Switching to another instructor may be beneficial to you. Different perspective in things and it shouldn't take more than a flight or two for the new guy to ascertain your level of proficiency and move forward.

I had 3 instructors as a private, I learned a lot about being a good, fair and bad pilot from each. ;)

If you can't get him to fly with you, on your schedule, you'll never get done.

It's your training, not his.

Switching to another instructor may be beneficial to you. Different perspective in things and it shouldn't take more than a flight or two for the new guy to ascertain your level of proficiency and move forward.

I had 3 instructors as a private, I learned a lot about being a good, fair and bad pilot from each. ;)

Thanks for your input. It may very well come to switching and thank goodness for POA allowing me to come up with the other guy who has shown interest.

I'm taking off tomorrow to get in some practice and go to the avionics shop for a small job they need to finish for me. After that I will see what happens with my instructor and make a decision what to do.

I appreciate all the support I get on this forum. There are some really good people here.

Doc

Back