Are Old Logged Hours Still Valid

Nope, just coincidence on the butt probes. He was supposed to have his done a few weeks ago, but got sick. It's kind of a lucky thing since we can both get them out of the way at the same time. I hope we both check out okay.

Doc

Is this like two women on the same cycle at the same time? Your colons are in sync?

I am so glad you did well. Your last post bummed me out. Congratulations, and keep posting.

Kimberly

There you go, and that's the way it works. For most people it's the most complex piece of equipment they operate. Dynamic cranes are way more difficult...way more. Anyway, it takes some practice to learn these things. I liken it to a satellite tracking in. It spirals down, and that's why you can do some thing one week, then the next you're a mess then half way round and you can do it again and all these different spirals of learng all finally come to a focal and everything just drops right into place. Now you may still have one or two more loops of disyncronicity where you start screwing up again, don't worry, it'll come back in. I would advise that once you solo you try to get up for 2 flights, minimum 15 minutes, a day for the next week UNLESS you start screwing up, then you regroup with your instructor.

Been there, done that on the flopping AI. A workable replacement was relatively inexpensive.

Lots of used and traded-in AIs sitting on shelves with folks upgrading to glass. Even got a warranty out of the avionics shop on it.

Working great so far.

The instrument problem is only a loose line at the vac pump. I will have to pull the cowling to hook it back up.

This morning I flew like there was no tomorrow. I did emergency landings and nailed them. Upset attitude on final, no sweat. All sorts of flap landings, easy.

It got pretty rough as the Sun came up further so I didn't solo, but I don't care. Unless something bad happens with our procedures this week, I am confident I will solo and make it official within the next training session or two.

It feels GREAT to KNOW that I can deal with a taildragger. Less than a month ago, I would have traded her for a worn out Cherokee. Now, however, I know that she and I are perfect dance partners.

It's a great feeling! Thanks for all the advice, comments and encouragement. I can handle a tailwheel plane!

Doc

The instrument problem is only a loose line at the vac pump. I will have to pull the cowling to hook it back up.

This morning I flew like there was no tomorrow. I did emergency landings and nailed them. Upset attitude on final, no sweat. All sorts of flap landings, easy.

It got pretty rough as the Sun came up further so I didn't solo, but I don't care. Unless something bad happens with our procedures this week, I am confident I will solo and make it official within the next training session or two.

It feels GREAT to KNOW that I can deal with a taildragger. Less than a month ago, I would have traded her for a worn out Cherokee. Now, however, I know that she and I are perfect dance partners.

It's a great feeling! Thanks for all the advice, comments and encouragement. I can handle a tailwheel plane!

Doc

Told ya!

Doc

Awesome. When are the next two sessions again?

Kimberly

Next two sessions should be as soon as my instructor is cleared to fly after his procedure. I just hope he does alright with his procedure. If something comes up with either of us, then attention shifts away of from flying of course.

Doc

Well we both came through our procedures with a good bill of health. That's the good news. Apparantly, however, I picked up some cold germs at the hospital and now have to let the cold run it's course before I can fly again.

It's unbelievable the list of delays I've had. Surely no more than a week from now I can be back in the air. Things could have been worse and one of us ended up with bad results of our tests. Our health has to come first I suppose.

Doc

Well we both came through our procedures with a good bill of health. That's the good news. Apparantly, however, I picked up some cold germs at the hospital and now have to let the cold run it's course before I can fly again.

It's unbelievable the list of delays I've had. Surely no more than a week from now I can be back in the air. Things could have been worse and one of us ended up with bad results of our tests. Our health has to come first I suppose.

Doc

You will be a MUCH better pilot because of these delays. You will have patience and understanding . . . and one day soon you will be thankful for each day that you CAN fly.

I want to go FLY!

My cold is getting better, but the vacuum pump is out on the plane. One is ordered and should be delivered tomorrow. He's fixing an oil leak while the cowl is off. Maybe the plane will be ready Saturday, although I probably won't be. Hopefully Tuesday or so I will have weather, an instructor and a flyable plane.

Before I'm in the air again it will be at LEAST two weeks on the ground. I'm ready to be on short final.

I want to go fly!

Doc

Heh. Know how you feel when we kept going in the shop for little stuff and then the left bladder tank failed earlier this year.

You'll get to make up the time soon enough! Hang in there.

I hate it when my bladder fa.... oh, wait. Nevermind.

:D

Kim,

I'm about over my illness now and will be flying tomorrow morning and Saturday morning. I took advantage of the down time to replace the tailwheel tire and my IA found the vacuum pump bad and replaced it, repairing an oil leak while the cowl was off.

So with vacuum working again I have instruments for my hood time. If all goes well and I haven't forgotten how to fly in the last few weeks, I should have an interesting couple of days flying.

BTW, you should have a package in the mail early next week.

Doc

Kim,

I'm about over my illness now and will be flying tomorrow morning and Saturday morning. I took advantage of the down time to replace the tailwheel tire and my IA found the vacuum pump bad and replaced it, repairing an oil leak while the cowl was off.

So with vacuum working again I have instruments for my hood time. If all goes well and I haven't forgotten how to fly in the last few weeks, I should have an interesting couple of days flying.

BTW, you should have a package in the mail early next week.

Doc

Thanks, Doc. It will help me continue to learn about aviation. I hope you keep posting about your flights! Good luck tomorrow. My next flight is Saturday and I miss it soooooo much. It will end up being 12 or 13 days between my checkride day and my first flight, pretty much the longest I've ever gone (and I mean EVER) without flying. I did fly from the right seat during my time in Michigan but there is something about taking off, landing, navigating, etc.... PIC stuff ........ that is just different. Don't get me wrong, spending so many days in airplanes during my time off kept me involved ..... but I like the idea of being my own pilot.

I have laid off due to sickness for well over two weeks and I can't control myself. I MUST post on this thread now.

I am sitting at the little terminal building at my boondocks airport, doing a little surfing while waiting for sunrise. The temperature is about 20 degrees cooler than the last time I flew. The density altitude is about 2,500 feet lower than when I last flew. The wind is 6 knots at 340 and I will be using runway 35. My plane has a new vacuum pump, an oil leak repaired, a new tailwheel tire and a fresh oil and filter change.

I am wearing an old shirt in case something happens today.

Whether it happens or not I AM READY TO GO FLY!!!!!!!!!!! I think my body and mind have conditioned themselves for partial shutdown if my internal altimeter indicates ground level for an excessive period of time.

Doc

My fingers are not crossed because you are already getting to do what you wanted to do - go flying in your own airplane! Glad you are back up in the air.

You will solo when you're ready.

Kimberly

Everybody fixates on landing as "Real PIC Stuff". Getting the plane to the point of being able to land safely is 99.7% of what comprises "Real PIC Stuff".

Thanks for the comments, feedback and encouragement.

It took a few rounds to beat off the 2 1/2 weeks of rust, but I knocked out some pretty good take offs and landings. The wind was uncharacteristically out of the North so I was landing on the end of the runway that I have hardly ever used(we have a prevailing SouthWest wind in this corner of God's Green Earth.) It turned out that there were some serious ruts and such in the runway, but I dealt with them.

The thermals started coming up and the air got moderately rough but I dealt with it.

He said that all I need to do is knock off 3 or 4 landings with no input from him tomorrow morning and I'll solo if I want to.

Also, I have been worried about post solo flying as it applies to insurance. My policy says "CFI Supervision on each and every flight until Private." I called the AOPA insurance lady that sold me the policy to see what I needed. I thought this meant I would need CFI sign off every time I took to the air. She said, no all I need is sign off on my Medical Certificate for solo and that puts me under his supervision. This is good news, because I thought I was going to have to get an email or Henning earlier said maybe a phone call. Basically if the FAA is good with it, so is my insurance company.

This means if I get solo'd and my CFI says he's good with it, I can go knock out lots of touch and go's or stop and go's frequently and refine my landings.

One other thing; today, rudder control was just almost totally a non issue. In a way this worries me because most tailwheelers say that when you don't focus on the rudders is when you get in trouble. I hope I can keep away the complacency.

Tomorrow might be the day!

Thanks again!

Doc

It took a few rounds to beat off the 2 1/2 weeks of rust, but I knocked out some pretty good take offs and landings. The wind was uncharacteristically out of the North so I was landing on the end of the runway that I have hardly ever used(we have a prevailing SouthWest wind in this corner of God's Green Earth.) It turned out that there were some serious ruts and such in the runway, but I dealt with them.

The thermals started coming up and the air got moderately rough but I dealt with it.

He said that all I need to do is knock off 3 or 4 landings with no input from him tomorrow morning and I'll solo if I want to.

Also, I have been worried about post solo flying as it applies to insurance. My policy says "CFI Supervision on each and every flight until Private." I called the AOPA insurance lady that sold me the policy to see what I needed. I thought this meant I would need CFI sign off every time I took to the air. She said, no all I need is sign off on my Medical Certificate for solo and that puts me under his supervision. This is good news, because I thought I was going to have to get an email or Henning earlier said maybe a phone call. Basically if the FAA is good with it, so is my insurance company.

This means if I get solo'd and my CFI says he's good with it, I can go knock out lots of touch and go's or stop and go's frequently and refine my landings.

One other thing; today, rudder control was just almost totally a non issue. In a way this worries me because most tailwheelers say that when you don't focus on the rudders is when you get in trouble. I hope I can keep away the complacency.

Thanks again!

Doc

I take it you haven't lived there in winter yet...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Also remember this, the insurance company will rarely put an operating restriction on beyond the scope of what the law allows because it puts them in a position of liability. They basically restrict their "limitations" by operational type. Commercial, Business-Personal.... and anything that is legal and normal operations will be covered. There was a small issue with insurance time in type and FAA solo requirements in some expensive planes so the FAA accommodated that by allowing the insurable CFI to be a silent accompaniment on "Solo" flights required for rating.

Yes, I've lived in this area for 25 years and am aware of the North wind, but I haven't flown at this airport except this Summer. When I flew 20 years ago at an airport near here, it was almost all in the Winter and we used the 35 runway more often than not.

Doc

Congrats on getting back up, Doc. I'm still suffering tiny bits of sniffles and the last crud coming up from last weekend's head cold, and I'm crossing fingers and toes that my body will decide it's finally done with this silliness this weekend so I can get a short flight in.

If it's not the airplane needing MX, it's the human... :rofl:

Thanks again!

Doc

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, especially because it will be my first "real" flight as a private pilot - !

Well, not TECHNICALLY my very first flight, since I had to fly that rental plane back to the flight school after the DPE "passed" me, and I did go on 4 other GA flights in Michigan (not as PIC) . . . but in my mind it will be the first since the whole thing will be "up to me" - weather, route, radios, etc..... all my choice.

How cool that you may also have a "first" on the same day as I do.

Good luck tomorrow,

Kimberly

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, especially because it will be my first "real" flight as a private pilot - !

Well, not TECHNICALLY my very first flight, since I had to fly that rental plane back to the flight school after the DPE "passed" me, and I did go on 4 other GA flights in Michigan (not as PIC) . . . but in my mind it will be the first since the whole thing will be "up to me" - weather, route, radios, etc..... all my choice.

How cool that you may also have a "first" on the same day as I do.

Good luck tomorrow,

Kimberly
Your Commanche Dual wasn't logged as PIC?

Hey Doc,

Have a great flight! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

J

Oh and this came up at the fly-in and started a debate about PP SEL but no complex endorsement so I can't . . . but enough hi-jacking of Doc's thread....

Kimberly. You can absolutely log all the time you were actually manipulating the controls of that airplane as PIC. You can log it as DUAL at the same time. In fact, you can go back to your logbook and fill out the PIC column right now.

You are RATED in airplane single engine land. For anything from a C152 to a fully loaded Caravan or PC12, you can log PIC when you are flying the airplane.

What you CAN'T do without specific endorsements is ACT as PIC of (61.31):
A complex airplane
A high performance airplane
A pressurized airplane capable of operations above 25,000 MSL
A conventional (tailwheel) airplane.

LOGGING PIC often can be done when you're not ACTING as PIC. You can find threads a-plenty on this topic. I'm actually surprised that the group at 6Y9 came to the conclusion that you couldn't log any PIC time.

Oh and this came up at the fly-in and started a debate about PP SEL but no complex endorsement so I can't . . . but enough hi-jacking of Doc's thread....

Nope, you are rated in category and class for the operation being performed, You are PP SEL, that allows you to log PIC. There are two ways to be PIC of the plane and the FAA doesn't distinguish between them for logging purposes. There is "Sole Manipulator of the Controls" PIC which you ARE qualified to log any such time that you are the sole manipulator of the controls, and there is Command PIC in which you take legal PIC status and liability for everything that happens on the flight. That is the one that you are not qualified to do or log UNLESS you are acting as safety pilot of a qualified pilot until you have the endorsements complete.

In order to the Comanche or take up non qualified pax in it, you would need to have the Hi Performance and Complex endorsements. In order to log "PIC" while flying with a rated and properly endorsed pilot, you only need to be sole manipulator.

I'm surprised that Ed didn't give you his "Can I Log It?" flow chart. It would have had this right. I'm surprised Ed didn't log you PIC either.... You must have really rated as "Unworthy"....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Isn't that like asking if your a virgin if you did it 20 years ago??? Oneyou have a cherry coke there is no bustin that beverage again!!!!

Kimberly. You can absolutely log all the time you were actually manipulating the controls of that airplane as PIC. You can log it as DUAL at the same time. In fact, you can go back to your logbook and fill out the PIC column right now.

You are RATED in airplane single engine land. For anything from a C152 to a fully loaded Caravan or PC12, you can log PIC when you are flying the airplane.

What you CAN'T do without specific endorsements is ACT as PIC of (61.31):
A complex airplane
A high performance airplane
A pressurized airplane capable of operations above 25,000 MSL
A conventional (tailwheel) airplane.

LOGGING PIC often can be done when you're not ACTING as PIC. You can find threads a-plenty on this topic. I'm actually surprised that the group at 6Y9 came to the conclusion that you couldn't log any PIC time.

Tim, it was high performance and complex. Oh, wait, you said ACT.

And I am not saying they did or did not come to any conclusions. I'm just saying I remember this coming up in discussion and not everyone having the same answer. Do not rely on ME to remember anything from Michigan!

Nope, you are rated in category and class for the operation being performed, You are PP SEL, that allows you to log PIC. There are two ways to be PIC of the plane and the FAA doesn't distinguish between them for logging purposes. There is "Sole Manipulator of the Controls" PIC which you ARE qualified to log any such time that you are the sole manipulator of the controls, and there is Command PIC in which you take legal PIC status and liability for everything that happens on the flight. That is the one that you are not qualified to do or log UNLESS you are acting as safety pilot of a qualified pilot until you have the endorsements complete.

In order to the Comanche or take up non qualified pax in it, you would need to have the Hi Performance and Complex endorsements. In order to log "PIC" while flying with a rated and properly endorsed pilot, you only need to be sole manipulator.

I'm surprised that Ed didn't give you his "Can I Log It?" flow chart. It would have had this right. I'm surprised Ed didn't log you PIC either.... You must have really rated as "Unworthy"....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Perhaps he did not fill in the PIC column just to see if I was paying attention. I don't know. I just remember giving him the book and that is what he did / how he did it. You'd have to ask him.

Perhaps he did not fill in the PIC column just to see if I was paying attention. I don't know. I just remember giving him the book and that is what he did / how he did it. You'd have to ask him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You were a baaaadd girl.....:lol: Regardless, the logbook is yours, you are free to log that portion of time you spent as sole manipulator of the controls in the PIC column.

You couldn't have logged it as PIC as a student. But as a private pilot you can log it as dual received and pic, even without the endorsement.

Or you could just be like David and get your high performance and complex endorsements from me.

You couldn't have logged it as PIC as a student. But as a private pilot you can log it as dual received and pic, even without the endorsement.

Or you could just be like David and get your high performance and complex endorsements from me.

Or we could be nice and give Doc back his thread. And you're in Nebraska....

Sorry for educating you on the regulations so that you can properly log your flight time.

Ouch!

I just can't win!

I will be sure to let you know when I'm ready for that complex. Oh and you are right - I should log it as PIC because I need all the PIC time I can get!

Back