Are leather seats heavier than cloth/vinyl?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I asked Airtex but I did not get much of an answer. I like leather seats but not at the expense of useful load.

Hard to say... Are you using the same foam cores? If so it shouldn't add much.

Leather is actually sold by "ounces per square foot". A heavy gauge is about 9 ounces. I don't know what cloth weights, but I can't imagine that even wrapping your cloth seats with leather would add a whole lot of weight to the plane.

If your useful load is noticeably impacted by leather seats you need more airplane.

Not nearly as heavy as carrying the embarsement of having to tell people you have....cloth

BTW, I'd go to a hot rod shop and maybe even order your own hydes waaaay before ordering airtex, one of the few times you'll end up with more quality for less money.

Read this
https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html?redirected=1

Yes, but, you're better off going on a diet and losing the pound or two you'd save.

Lots of folks think "ultra Swede" is leather, it looks like leather, acts like leather, but it is a man made fabric.

Ultraswede is frequently mistaken for Norsemen. I think you mean Ultrasuede, which is an approximation of suede. I have ultraleather in my plane, which is a polyurethane approximation of smooth leather. Has better abrasion and fuel resistance than real leather. Looks close and had fewer defects.

How about an ultra Swede in leather?

22f9f2e24d33b0d9286f867d26856019.jpg

Back