Are bifocals with no near correction normal?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
My near vision has always been great. I can read the smallest line of type on the test. But I have a prescription for distant vision. It's not a very strong prescription and actually my 1st class medical has no limitations. I don't need glasses during the day, but especially at night it does help a lot if I wear them.

Trouble is, with my glasses on, it is a strain reading things at normal reading distance - like an iPad on the yoke, which is our default configuration at work. The panel I can see fine.

So for looking at the iPad, I've been tilting my head up so as to look under my glasses. This is not great.

So I'm thinking bifocals are the answer, even though that makes me feel old, at 48 I guess I'm going to get there eventually... :D

And I know nothing about them. Are bifocals available with no correction on the near-vision part? Is this a normal thing?

Yes they are available. All you need is your ophthalmologist’s or optometrist’s script specifying no correction in the near vision lens. Is it normal? :dunno: -Skip

Yes they are available. All you need is your ophthalmologist’s or optometrist’s script specifying no correction in the near vision lens. Is it normal? Dunnno. -Skip
After cataract surgery, I have bifocal sun glasses for flying…no correction for distance but reading on the bottom so I can read iPad and maps. It’s quite common.

For a long time, my bifocals just had a reduced correction in the reading area. No big deal. Whatever works, works.

Post cataract, I have bifocals with magnification in the reading area.

Just ask your local glasses store for bifocals with clear

Same for me for a long time. The reading side of my bifocals pretty much just undid the distance correction. Before I got them, I'd just lift my regular glasses up when I needed to see up close

This was handy when flying on the foggles. I just took off my glasses and put the foggles on. I could read the charts and instruments fine and there was no point in distance vision...

Glasses can be had in any configuration. A lot of older navy aircraft maintainers have glasses cut with bifocals on top, since they work overhead a lot. Many have several pairs with various configuration.

over the decades, I’ve had both lasiks & cataract surgery, and therefore many specialty cuts. Today my non polarized, cockpit sunglasses are clear on top, a full-width cut middle focus for the panel, & reading below. (Spot trifocals require you to shift your head left & right to see all the instruments clearly, where a full-width band keeps the full panel in view).

WHen that time comes for you, a friend just had bi-focal replacement lenses put in his eye after cataract surgery. He loves them. (They weren’t ready for prime time when I had mine done. Now, I’m jealous). So ask about options.

find an eye guy who will take the time to work with specific measurements: eye to panel, eye to iPad, instead of counting on the “range” of a prescription or strength to fit.

Get a cheap pair from Zenni Optical and experiment.

I've been buying my glasses from them for a number of years now. I have bifocals and have been pleased with their product. The measurement between the pupils is something I asked the optometrist to provide me and is something you need to complete the purchase in addition to the prescription.

I know three other pilots who have the exact Zenni frame as me; which is the Zenni Optical cheapo special which cost less than $40. What's that say about us pilots?

Get a cheap pair from Zenni Optical and experiment.

I've been buying my glasses from them for a number of years now. I have bifocals and have been pleased with their product. The measurement between the pupils is something I asked the optometrist to provide me and is something you need to complete the purchase in addition to the prescription.

I know three other pilots who have the exact Zenni frame as me; which is the Zenni Optical cheapo special which cost less than $40. What's that say about us pilots?

you can do a lot with cheap reading glasses. I bought a whole set of those perfectly round harry-potter, owl-like reading glasses, clear on top & 2 to 5+ on the bottom. If I’m working over head on the plane or a car, I loosen the frame & rotate the bifocals to the top.

I Also switch out lenses for beekeeping. I have an “under the veil” pair with +2 on the left & +5 on the right taken from different frames. The +2 is for normal inspection, the +5 is to closely inspect the brood (larvae). The tops are clear so I can navigate the Beeyard. This pair also work well for close work on the work bench.

I'm the same as you, I need distant vision correction but can see find up close. But my far vision is such that I do wear my glasses nearly all the time. So my bifocal prescription for the inset-part of the lens is plano. It provides no correction.

As a side note, if you don't want the "stigma" of lined bifocals, the no-line bifocals make it very difficult for the casual observer to tell you're wearing them. But generally I recommend that you just get over it. At 48 you're just getting started... ;-)

Suck it up buttercup…..join the club:D:D:D
Just wait until it is time for trifocals:oops:
Hah! I can top that...... QuadFocals!!
(Yes, I just made that up)

I wear one contact in left eye for distance and to make it even with the right eye, and over that progressive bifocals for computer work/flying, etc.

For me, I want distance vision without being dependent upon glasses.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back