April solar eclipse

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
We have reservations to stay at a hotel in Springfield Illinois during the eclipse. It is just off the path of totality. I think that is good enough but my wife wants to plan to fly into the path to observe the total eclipse.
I think that is a bad idea.

What are your thoughts about this?

You want to see totality. It's a completely different thing. Your wife is correct. As usual, presumably.

Also, I would recommend experiencing it from the ground, not the air. Temperature change, wind change, animal behavior change. It's weird, and you'd miss a lot from an airplane, especially since you'll have to be looking out for all the other people looking up instead of for other airplanes.

I'm more appreciative of celestial events than most, but I am not taking any chances with my precious rods and cones.
I refuse to look up at the sky, especially at the blazing laser we have overhead each day, any more than I need to.
I will see the amazing photography others capture that evening, and it will be better than what I would see in person.
There is just too much risk with this, and millions are being so casual about it.
"I'll use protective glasses/welder's googles" people will say.
Yeah, after that last eclipse where people reported visual injury following improper use of, or the use of bogus glasses (made in China), that sealed it for me.

+1 to everything Jim K said above. Went to the one in 2017. Seeing it from our planes seems awesome to pilots, but I was very taken by the other sensory perceptions during it.

You want to see totality. It's a completely different thing. Your wife is correct. As usual, presumably.

Also, I would recommend experiencing it from the ground, not the air. Temperature change, wind change, animal behavior change. It's weird, and you'd miss a lot from an airplane, especially since you'll have to be looking out for all the other people looking up instead of for other airplanes.
I agree. And she is always right, (just ask her).
But I do think seeing it from the ground is a better idea. So I will try to talk her into driving our rental car from Springfield to somewhere in the direct path.

But that said, we have flown to see several total eclipses before so it is not a new thing. Part of the draw is that even though we have flown to every state on the continent, some of them were in our previous plane. Illinois is the only state we have not flown to in the Bonanza. I just don't think it is wise to try to see the eclipse from the air. A space launch maybe, but not an eclipse.

You've flown to several total eclipses before? In the U.S.? The one in 2017 and the one in 1979 and the one in Alaska in 1972? I don't think that there have been any others. Unless you flew internationally, of course.

Total eclipses are completely different than annular eclipses or 99% partial eclipses. I wouldn't drive 5 miles out of my way to see one of those but I'll fly halfway across the country to see a total eclipse.

We have reservations to stay at a hotel in Springfield Illinois during the eclipse. It is just off the path of totality. I think that is good enough but my wife wants to plan to fly into the path to observe the total eclipse.

There’s a “step function” difference between viewing a total eclipse, and a partial eclipse.
Former is astonishing in ways that are hard to describe, latter is interesting, neat, but not remotely the same experience

I'm more appreciative of celestial events than most, but I am not taking any chances with my precious rods and cones.
I refuse to look up at the sky, especially at the blazing laser we have overhead each day, any more than I need to.
I will see the amazing photography others capture that evening, and it will be better than what I would see in person.
There is just too much risk with this, and millions are being so casual about it.
Yeah, after that last eclipse where people reported visual injury following improper use of, or the use of bogus glasses (made in China), that sealed it for me.
If you buy your glasses through a legit telescope dealer, they won’t be bogus. There’s lots of info online
Ie

Remember it could be cloudy, so by air maybe your only option.

The sun be around a 60° angle from the horizon around the time of the eclipse, I would try flying around that time and making sure you can see it, unless you have a clear canopy your view may be blocked.

We flew down from OLM to the vicinity of Salem, Oregon and watched the eclipse in 2017 from 7500 MSL. It was fantastic. I'd go along with your wife's idea.

We flew down from OLM to the vicinity of Salem, Oregon and watched the eclipse in 2017 from 7500 MSL. It was fantastic. I'd go along with your wife's idea.
How would you fly while wearing "eclipse glasses"? Even if IFR rated, you wouldn't be able to see your instruments. And if you don't wear the glasses, then how do you see the eclipse?

How would you fly while wearing "eclipse glasses"? Even if IFR rated, you wouldn't be able to see your instruments. And if you don't wear the glasses, then how do you see the eclipse?
You don't need glasses to look at the totality but you do need them if it's 99.999%

You don't need glasses to look at the totality but you do need them if it's 99.999%
I believe you are wrong. Even during totality you see a corona. But even if you are right, how can you tell when it reaches totality without the glasses? And how do you fly WITH the glasses? My plan is to fly close to the arc of totality and drive a rental car to a better viewing area.

But even if you are right, how can you tell when it reaches totality without the glasses?
It's quite an obvious event, it doesn't occur until complete totality and lasts throughout the duration which can be 2 or 3 minutes depending on your location. You'll understand once you've seen it.

It's quite an obvious event, it doesn't occur until complete totality and lasts throughout the duration which can be 2 or 3 minutes depending on your location. You'll understand once you've seen it.
I don't agree. I've seen several totals, but never from the air. Besides, watching the progression is part of the attraction.

If you buy your glasses through a legit telescope dealer, they won’t be bogus. There’s lots of info online
Ie

In addition, a list of vendors from this (seemingly reputable) site;

IndyStar has a report of eye injury due to bogus Eclipse Glasses. Horrible website so I didn't paste it here.
I've read of others too.

Last edited:

JohnH, You might want to check our Mid American airfield (LWV) in Lawrenceville Il, its a short flight from Springfield and is in path of Totality. Mid American aircenter on Facebook and they have tickets available for a fly in for the eclispe. They are putting on a 2 day affair with entertainment and everything else. Nice country airport with long paved runways, was built in the 40's to train WW2 pilots and is well maintained. Instead of sitting in a traffic jam after the eclispe you could hope in your plane and just fly off.

JohnH, You might want to check our Mid American airfield (LWV) in Lawrenceville Il, its a short flight from Springfield and is in path of Totality. Mid American aircenter on Facebook and they have tickets available for a fly in for the eclispe. They are putting on a 2 day affair with entertainment and everything else. Nice country airport with long paved runways, was built in the 40's to train WW2 pilots and is well maintained. Instead of sitting in a traffic jam after the eclispe you could hope in your plane and just fly off.
I see they are charging $100 just to come in for the day to park... I guess its a supply and demand thing. Seems a little steep to me though

I don't agree. I've seen several totals, but never from the air. Besides, watching the progression is part of the attraction.
You've seen "several totals"...Where? Including Alaska there have only been three over the USA in my lifetime and I'm 70.

My experience of the last one in Kentucky, it was VERY busy getting in to where we wanted to go, but a total schitshow to get out (Everyone trying to get out at once, or trying to beat the jets to the runway). the weather was fantastic.

Last edited:
As others have said, the difference between a near total and a total is quite large. My plan is to wait until the day before, look at the forecast and fly to somewhere in the path of totality.
Our plan too...and probably many others' plans as well. If it ends up being like 2017, it looks like Oshkosh on the ADS-B the morning of the eclipse.

And don't let weather be your only determination...the more southwest you go, the longer the eclipse.

You've seen "several totals"...Where? Including Alaska there have only been three over the USA in my lifetime and I'm 70.
We flew to Columbia SC in 2017 to see the total. Got the t-shirt.

In 1979 I was in Wisconsin installing a computer system in a hospital and got a chance to see one.

It turns out the one I saw in Illinois in '95 was an annular eclipse (not a true total), where the Moon only blocks the center of the Sun, resulting in a bright ring. That also explains why I said earlier that even with a total you still see the Corona (the bright ring around the moon).

And I might have mistakenly remembered a couple of partials I saw as a kid as Totals.

Attachments

• total.jpg
    total.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 16
I didn't realize what a big deal the whole eclipse thing was until a controller sent me this article about ATC during the 2017 eclipse.

Our house is located in the path of totality so we've decided to stay there, but managers of airports in the path are very busy now in anticipation of marked increases in activity.

It's trivial to make e a pinhole viewer and watch it that way. Zero risk of eye damage.

It's trivial to make e a pinhole viewer and watch it that way. Zero risk of eye damage.
Many people think there is magic. Basically anything with a round hole will let you safely view an eclipse. In 2017 we had fun trying to find the goofiest way. A pasta strainer with a paper plate was my favorite.

1709646795173.jpeg

Many people think there is magic. Basically anything with a round hole will let you safely view an eclipse. In 2017 we had fun trying to find the goofiest way. A pasta strainer with a paper plate was my favorite.
If you don't have a colander in your pocket, the sunlight hitting the ground after filtering through a tree canopy looks similar.

I've been dabbling in astrophotography. I'm using a couple of telescopes with built in cameras, I haven't started using my DSLRs yet. These telescopes have solar filters and will track the sun, so I'm going to attempt to get some pics. I won't be too disappointed if I don't! We're pretty close to the centerline, but will head a little further west to be closer. The problem around here is a lot of airports suddenly want to charge a fee to land there. Some of them are offering food and/or camping, but I know the fee at one is $250. No thanks.

Ground-to-Space photos I've taken recently.
53569626345_5c564d93e4_c.jpg
53569386188_a5f6d34d2c_c.jpg

53569626375_1b1ee3b52c_c.jpg

Using this logic, you should never use power tools, drive, or...fly a small airplane. All cause many people to lose not only their vision, but their lives.

It's a cost:benefit thing for me.
Flying provides much greater benefit compared to the risk.
Seeing the sun get blanked out by the moon is frankly... boring to me - and in no way worth risking permanent vision loss. We don't like lasers being pointed into the pilot's eyes for this very reason, why would we voluntarily look at the biggest laser available to us on a daily basis. The photos of the eclipse that evening will be tons better than you can see in person anyway, I'll enjoy those. You enjoy looking at the sun.

Would love to fly up state to view the eclipse. Looking at these airports in NY. Anyone have any comments or suggestions of any of them?

Dansville DSV
Geneseo D52
Canandaigua IUD
Perry-Warsaw 01G
Le Roy 5G0

Seems all will have a good view of the total.

The eclipse was a total one. I didn't look until then. Flying without eclipse glasses was just fine.

I believe you are wrong. Even during totality you see a corona. But even if you are right, how can you tell when it reaches totality without the glasses? And how do you fly WITH the glasses? My plan is to fly close to the arc of totality and drive a rental car to a better viewing area.

During the totality where we were was not a problem.

I've been dabbling in astrophotography. I'm using a couple of telescopes with built in cameras, I haven't started using my DSLRs yet. These telescopes have solar filters and will track the sun, so I'm going to attempt to get some pics. I won't be too disappointed if I don't! We're pretty close to the centerline, but will head a little further west to be closer. The problem around here is a lot of airports suddenly want to charge a fee to land there. Some of them are offering food and/or camping, but I know the fee at one is $250. No thanks.

Ground-to-Space photos I've taken recently.
53569626345_5c564d93e4_c.jpg
53569386188_a5f6d34d2c_c.jpg

53569626375_1b1ee3b52c_c.jpg

Wow, those pics are out of this world good!

If you’re going to be that close, you need to be *in* the path of totality. We had one here back in ‘17 and it’s amazing what just 30 miles difference made. It’s an experience and I wouldn’t want to see you ruin it by not seeing the full thing.

I guess I don’t understand the fascination of flying while the eclipse happens. I don’t think I could view it very well from an airplane that I’m flying and wouldn’t be an experience I’d want to risk wasting.

Last edited:

I did it last eclipse, flying into Sanford South Carolina and loved it. I found it very rewarding.

This year I hope to be in Arkansas with my brothers.

That previous eclipse trip was my first really long cross country ( 6 hours-ish in a 172) after my ppl check ride. I brought my friend along and he caught the pilot bug and is now a commercial pilot.

Back