April 14, Denver, CO -- Take An Aggie To Dinner Night

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I'm going to be in Denver for a conference at the Inverness in April. Arriving the evening of Thursday, 04/12 and departing Saturday 04/14.

Any Denver based PoA'ers have any interest in meeting for dinner Friday night?

I'm going to be in Denver for a conference at the Inverness in April. Arriving the evening of Thursday, 04/12 and departing Saturday 04/14.

Any Denver based PoA'ers have any interest in meeting for dinner Friday night?

hullabaloo k'neck, k'neck
hullabaloo k'neck, k'neck
we are the kiddies of the kiddie corps,
all the little aggies ages two to four

I shant continue...

Oh yes I shall...

Did you know, the opening bars of the Aggie Fight Song segue perfectly into the Mickey Mouse Club theme song? Incredibly memorable when played by a 32 piece kazoo band....

But yes, would be delighted to join you for dinner on the 13th. Nate & his wife live close by, perhaps they can join along. Mari's not far away either, if she's in town.

Last edited:
We're talking about Friday the 13th? :eek:

As Murphey said, I'll be there if I'm in town.

Did you notice how many Friday the 13th's we have this calendar year?

Looking forward to meeting y'all.

I'll be a tentative "maybe" until I see the home calendar and check with the dispatcher (spouse)...

If I am in town I will also join. WHo is going to pick the place. Perfect Landing at KAPA?

tentative "maybe"

??? this one has me flummoxed. WTF is a tentative maybe? Is that like saying maybe maybe? Where is Carlin when we need him??

"tentative maybe" is completely defined by the conditional clause that followed ... I have no idea what's on my calendar at home. :D

Should have said "I see your invitation and acknowledge same. I'll RSVP later." :D

As far as place, I'm good for something that has a good local "only in Denver" flare, including a favorite hole in the wall kitsch. I just ask for something that has a no smoking section.

Everything's no smoking these days here, so no problem there.

Hmm... Denver-only. Thinking...

As far as place, I'm good for something that has a good local "only in Denver" flare, including a favorite hole in the wall kitsch. I just ask for something that has a no smoking section.

Only Denver flavor? Surely you jest? Far too much of Colorado is populated by national chains.

Colorado declared all restaurants as No Smoking a few years ago. Annoys Nate, the rest of us are much happier.

Another vote for Perfect Landing here.

A short light rail ride up from the KAPA side of town to the Buckhorn Exchange, if you really want "Denver". ;)

Or a drive up to El Rancho.

Or Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs.

Or God forbid, Casa Bonita.

A short light rail ride up from the KAPA side of town to the Buckhorn Exchange, if you really want "Denver". ;)

Casa Bonita :vomit: I was waiting for that one to come up... with fear and trepidation ...

Beau Jo's is good - Idaho Springs is the original (but not worth a dedicated drive), So. Colorado Blvd or Westminster stores are closer

The Fort ... exotic, different, pricy

Buckhorn Exchange, definitely a Denver original - way overpriced in my opinion.

Perfect Landing is closest to my work, saves a drive to Golden and then back to anywhere else...

Last edited:
OOC, is Brown Palace still in operation? We bought it during the oil boom and syndicated the ownership, but I lost track after leaving the company. Just remember a great restaurant there. And at one time the Colorado Mining Company was the hottest spot in Denver. Is it still there?

Duffy's Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek is good too. Still no smoking, though.

OOC, is Brown Palace still in operation? We bought it during the oil boom and syndicated the ownership, but I lost track after leaving the company. Just remember a great restaurant there. And at one time the Colorado Mining Company was the hottest spot in Denver. Is it still there?

Definitely still in operation. Afternoon tea is an original, and you can still sigh up for the tour including the suites where the Eisenhowers & Elvis stayed. There used to be a few people who lived there full time, but I think that's no longer an option.

Haven't eaten there in years (took my father there for his birthday more than 10 years ago) so I don't know how good the food is these days. But the trip is worth it just for the building architecture.

-1000 on Casa Bonita.

no strong opinion on the Buckhorn. it's easy to get to with light rail (ever wonder just *why* there's a park/ride stop there?)

Beau Jo's on Colorado is fine but again, nothing spectacular. It's only about 30 min to drive out to Idaho Springs to the original one. Wait. Friday night. Make that 60-90 minutes with the traffic going home & up to the mountains.

Colorado Mining Company closed years (decades?) ago.

Of course we now have Shanahan's and Elway's steak houses. Haven't eaten at either because no one I know is on an expense account that can justify them.

There's the Chart House in Genesee, but again, that's a chain altho a high-end chain with a great view and still have to drive I-70 in rush hour.

16th Street Mall (again, light rail) has lots of mid-level chains (Hard Rock) as well as some very good local restaurants (Marlowe's is my favorite). Not far, and around the corner is a great mongolian bbq (BD's). Again, a chain, but still great.

El Rancho, again, driving I-70 in rush hour. http://www.elranchocolorado.com/

Last edited:
Bumping since we're a week away and if you guys decided anything.

I'll have a rental vehicle so once I can meet you guys there once the time and place is settled.

I'm going to vote for Perfect Landing but my vote might not count for much since I don't know whether I can be there or not for sure. I would guess it's pretty probable, though.

I'm a probable, and I'll vote for Perfect Landing as well. Is early evening possible? I'll be coming from work near there.

I'm good with PL too. On a Friday night you'll need a solid head count by Wednesday and a Reservation or you'll be waiting a looooong time.

I'm good with PL too. On a Friday night you'll need a solid head count by Wednesday and a Reservation or you'll be waiting a looooong time.

I was about to say the same - you're now appointed the Official Reservation Maker.

The last seminar session for me ends at 5:30pm.

Providing for travel time, say meet up at 6:45pm? That would give me time to take care of a few things then meet with you folks.

The last seminar session for me ends at 5:30pm.

Providing for travel time, say meet up at 6:45pm? That would give me time to take care of a few things then meet with you folks.

Inverness Hotel to Perfect Landing should take 10, maybe 15 minutes...

iPhone changed "fingers" to "Rogers"? Just noticed that. Stupid auto-correct.

Talked to Mike via telephone. He needed a solid day, time, and place.

So PL it is. Not as "Denver only" as Mike wanted, but I assured him it isn't the average airport diner either. :)

Boogie Bon at the piano bar will be playing... I assume... and the usual cast of characters will be gathered 'round it.

Time 18:45. He needs some time to chat with other attendees at his day gig, drop stuff in the room, etc. I will probably get there earlier.

Now I need a head count. How many are definitely coming? Anyone unsure?

I would say that I am most probably coming. I found out I have a trip that day and if things go as planned I will be able to make 1845.

I'm a definite maybe. Will try to head for OR but if weather is bad then I'll be in Denver. Right now it looks like there will be a fair bit of moisture in the air so freezing levels & moisture may keep me in Denver.

What is the simplest way to get there from the Inverness?

What is the simplest way to get there from the Inverness?

Look for the tower - it's got a funny light that rotates white & green. Head for it. When you get there, park in the really big lot and go to the building with the big red neon JET CENTER sign. Go upstairs.

20120411-nbm54x9uiqe569idubntw25jim.jpg

I'm a definite maybe. Will try to head for OR but if weather is bad then I'll be in Denver. Right now it looks like there will be a fair bit of moisture in the air so freezing levels & moisture may keep me in Denver.

And you hand me crap for my less than definitive pseudo non-committal response? Geez! LOL!

RSVP for 1 for me.

Last edited:
And you have me crap for my less than definitive pseudo non-committal response? Geez! LOL!

Well I'd like to help you out here and in a perfect world the answer would be easy but seeing how we live in todays world tomorrow and yesterdays world after that I just have to say that things remain less than certain and I'd like to be certain about that. In fact I am quite certain that the outcome will be uncertain unless it is known beforehand. With all that said, if things work out the way I don't want them to be then I'll be a Perfect Landing at the appointed hour unless of course I'm not there.

Look for the tower - it's got a funny light that rotates white & green. Head for it. When you get there, park in the really big lot and go to the building with the big red neon JET CENTER sign. Go upstairs.

Great.... I've hooked up with a bunch of comedians....

Back