Approach Plate Symbol Question

well thats in the communication briefing strip...

upload_2019-4-8_13-22-16.png

Thanks Gents... forgot to look at the chart legend...
chart.jpg

Although it is obviously PCL, I don't see that symbol specifically defined in the Chart User Guide, pages 119-126.

Although it is obviously PCL, I don't see that symbol specifically defined in the Chart User Guide, pages 119-126.

Thanks... just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything...

answered move along

Oh come on...did you forget where this is? It was answered in the first reply, but if we don’t have at least three pages of follow up , I will be disappointed.

Oh come on...did you forget where this is? It was answered in the first reply, but if we don’t have at least three pages of follow up , I will be disappointed.

Follow up? What is this strange concept "follow up" you speak of?

If we don't get three pages of completely unrelated thread drift I will be disappointed...

The Chart Users Guide should at least have all the symbols in the legends. It's supposed to be more extensive not less.

Are you saying it's in there and I missed it, or that the FAA ought to put it in there? If the former I apologize, just assumed it wasn't in there when a previous poster said he couldn't find it and another showed a low enroute legend instead of a TPP legend. If the latter then I agree.

Are you saying it's in there and I missed it, or that the FAA ought to put it in there? If the former I apologize, just assumed it wasn't in there when a previous poster said he couldn't find it and another showed a low enroute legend instead of a TPP legend. If the latter then I agree.
Actually, I don't know if it's in there or not. I haven't looked. I know there are a few symbols missing here and there or buried in a way which makes them difficult to find. My comment was intended as, "if it's not it should be."

That's why some people pay for Jeppesen charts.

So why would anyone pay for jeppesen charts? This isn’t just an attempt to derail, I have never understood why they’re “better”.

So why would anyone pay for jeppesen charts? This isn’t just an attempt to derail, I have never understood why they’re “better”.
The same reason an iPhone is better than an Android or an Android is better than iPhone. Preference.

Or, if you plan to operate in most of the world.

This is Pilots of America, not Pilots of Canada, not Pilots of Mexico, not Pilots of the World. Pilots of AMERICA!

*play Sousa-like nationalistic music piece here* ;)

I think you're right.

I downloaded the PDF file, and searched for the phrase "pilot controlled lighting", and I found that the symbol is defined only on page 60 in the section for EXPLANATION OF IFR ENROUTE TERMS, but even there it's shown as blue text on a white-filled oval, not white text on a black-filled oval. It's not mentioned in the section for approach plates.

Answered maybe, but not correctly.

It is very nice to be able to look at the chart and know what vertical speed you need on an approach. Can't do that with an FAA chart.

Or, if you plan to operate in most of the world.
Well, let's say, "if you want to operate internationally." For those countries which produce their own charts, their format can be very different from each other. Jepp chart subscribers have the advantage of consistency in presentation across borders. All the essential information is in the same place.

Beyond that, it's, as @EdFred said, purely a matter of preference. @bflynn, I used to have easy access to both. I flipped back and forth between them. The differences between Jepp and the US Govt charts used to be far greater, especially in the pre-briefing strip days. Those differences combined with better quality paper, clearer printing and loose leaf binders (not to mention the mystique of being the charts the airlines used) led to what most saw as a decided advantage to Jepp. The real differences now are pretty minimal, but as we all know, belief does not go away easily.

Well, let's say, "if you want to operate internationally." For those countries which produce their own charts, their format can be very different from each other. Jepp chart subscribers have the advantage of consistency in presentation across borders. All the essential information is in the same place.

Beyond that, it's, as @EdFred said, purely a matter of preference. @bflynn, I used to have easy access to both. I flipped back and forth between them. The differences between Jepp and the US Govt charts used to be far greater, especially in the pre-briefing strip days. Those differences combined with better quality paper, clearer printing and loose leaf binders (not to mention the mystique of being the charts the airlines used) led to what most saw as a decided advantage to Jepp. The real differences now are pretty minimal, but as we all know, belief does not go away easily.
The inoperative components table required for the FAA charts is arcane. As to other countries charts, most only appear in their AIP, and are not intended for pilot use. It's their distribution method in accordance with ICAO requirements. Some AIPs are available only by annual subscription. ($$$). Finally, Jeppesen offers tailored subscriptions, which is a big deal for the airlines.

The inoperative components table required for the FAA charts is arcane. As to other countries charts, most only appear in their AIP, and are not intended for pilot use. It's their distribution method in accordance with ICAO requirements. Some AIPs are available only by annual subscription. ($$$). Finally, Jeppesen offers tailored subscriptions, which is a big deal for the airlines.
...and for a better inop components chart, a piston pusher can pay $200 extra for a US subscription. Clearly a personal preference to be that brand loyal :D

...and for a better inop components chart, a piston pusher can pay $200 extra for a US subscription. Clearly a personal preference to be that brand loyal :D
A "piston pusher" that doesn't go to Mexico or other nearby foreign countries.

A "piston pusher" that doesn't go to Mexico or other nearby foreign countries.

I don't think so. We've both said (as recently as 3 posts up) that the international pilot will benefit from Jepp. But that $200 only covers the continental US and Hawaii. Canada and Latin America/Caribbean are additional packages.

I don't think so. We've both said (as recently as 3 posts up) that the international pilot will benefit from Jepp. But that $200 only covers the continental US and Hawaii. Canada and Latin America/Caribbean are additional packages.
I don't follow the thread quite that way. I thought you were advocating individual countries IAP charts instead of Jeppesen (or Lido).

But, not to matter.:)

I don't follow the thread quite that way. I thought you were advocating individual countries IAP charts instead of Jeppesen (or Lido).
Not at all. Not sure how you got that out of "Jepp drivers have the advantage of consistency in format" when individual countries depictions can be very different.

Quite the opposite. Engaging in international ops is the best reason I can think of for Jepp.

Glad we cleared that one up :)

Back