Approach Plate Symbol Question

PCL frequency. Which lights are PCL are indicated on other areas of the chart by inverted color symbols.

Disagree. The frequency is the frequency. The symbol in question states PCL is available on said frequency. The OP didn’t ask what the frequency meant, he asked what the symbol meant.

Disagree. The frequency is the frequency. The symbol in question states PCL is available on said frequency. The OP didn’t ask what the frequency meant, he asked what the symbol meant.

The symbol is used to indicate frequency on which to activate PCL. Which lights are pcl is indicated on other parts of the chart

The symbol is used to indicate frequency on which to activate PCL. Which lights are pcl is indicated on other parts of the chart
"It's PCL"
"No it's not PCL. It's the PCL frequency."

This "disagreement" makes Wally and my misunderstanding seem much more reasonable. Thank you. :D

"It's PCL"
"No it's not PCL. It's the PCL frequency."

Well, I didn't say it's "not PCL."

But let's review the original question:
"The L in the black oval next to the Tower (CTAF) frequency, what does this represent?"

It represents the frequency for PCL. Occasionally, the frequency is not the expected one. My answer is "more" correct, and I think the distinction between "that symbol is there because the airport has PCL" and "that symbols it there to indicate the PCL frequency" is enough to be worth pointing out. Glad you're amused though.

"The L in the black oval next to the Tower (CTAF) frequency, what does this represent?"

It represents the frequency for PCL. Occasionally, the frequency is not the expected one. My answer is "more" correct, and I think the distinction between "that symbol is there because the airport has PCL" and "that symbols it there to indicate the PCL frequency" is enough to be worth pointing out. Glad you're amused though.

again, you're wrong. the L symbol IN NO WAY represents the frequency for PCL. THE FREQUENCY LISTED represents the frequency. the ONLY thing that represents the frequency for pcl IS THE FREQUENCY. your answer is less correct, and that's about all the time I'm going to waste on this silly argument.

again, you're wrong. the L symbol IN NO WAY represents the frequency for PCL. THE FREQUENCY LISTED represents the frequency. the ONLY thing that represents the frequency for pcl IS THE FREQUENCY. your answer is less correct, and that's about all the time I'm going to waste on this silly argument.

What kind of nonsense is that? I can't believe you're being serious. Without a symbol, legend, or label, a frequency is a meaningless number. You wouldn't know which frequency without the symbol. Look it up in the tpp legend.

Last edited:

I understand. You were concerned someone might think the black inverse oval had nothing to do with the frequency it was next to.

upload_2019-4-14_9-53-31.png

Your second point
Which lights are pcl is indicated on other parts of the chart

is both quite valid and valuable, but I think it would be "more correct" if you completed it. The inverse L tells the pilot that those components that can be controlled by the pilot can be controlled on the frequency it is next to. Which lights can be controlled by the pilot is depicted in the approach light diagram (above the box) and the airport diagram by the use of inverse letters.

upload_2019-4-14_10-5-4.png
upload_2019-4-14_10-10-9.png

Back