Approach lighting

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
This might help some folks in translating the acronym into what you'll see as you break out of the cloud deck.

C8vnwiAXUAAujy7.jpg

Cool. Did you put the rwys into FSX and then take a snapshot or did you draw them yourself?

FWIW, the approach plate should indicate which lighting system is in use and also offer a graphical depiction (for us who cannot remember those pesky acronyms anyway).

Cool. Did you put the rwys into FSX and then take a snapshot or did you draw them yourself?

FWIW, the approach plate should indicate which lighting system is in use and also offer a graphical depiction (for us who cannot remember those pesky acronyms anyway).
Jepps chart do.

Did you put the rwys into FSX and then take a snapshot or did you draw them yourself?
As much as I'd like the credit for the graphic, it was something I found on the net.
Jepps chart do
Which is one item that prompted my "If ForeFlight could use Jepp Charts" thread.

There will be lights.

If not at the primary, then the alternate.

If not at the alternate, evaluate fuel.

so heres another frustrating aspect of instrument flying... why are there different systems? money? age of install? do i fly the procedure differently depending on which approach lighting system? does anyone? doesnt sound like, so why have different set ups?

The NACO/AeroNav charts also have a graphical depiction of the various ALS systems. At least for as long as I've been instrument rated (circa 2004).

so heres another frustrating aspect of instrument flying... why are there different systems? money? age of install? do i fly the procedure differently depending on which approach lighting system? does anyone? doesnt sound like, so why have different set ups?
All the above except you just fly the procedure as directed by the approach plate.

Last edited:
Um... they do.IMG_0753.jpg

Last edited:
Jepps chart do.
FAA charts do too. :)

Dude, I just look up at minimums; whatever the lights are, they are. If I don't see any. . .
Amen!

Um... they do.
I know, I think you're agreeing with me. Right? Yes? :)

so heres another frustrating aspect of instrument flying... why are there different systems?
IIRC, the more complicated ones (with shhhload more lights and colors) are for CAT II and III approaches in bad visibility. But don't quote me on that, I am sure somebody much more knowledgeable than me can answer better.

FAA charts do too. :)

Amen!

I know, I think you're agreeing with me. Right? Yes? :)

IIRC, the more complicated ones (with shhhload more lights and colors) are for CAT II and III approaches in bad visibility. But don't quote me on that, I am sure somebody much more knowledgeable than me can answer better.

That's what I was thinking but being a lowly A&P deferred to pilots. My home airport is a category I ILS with MALSR approach lights. I suspect DTW has much better than we do if they are CAT III ILS authorized.

Back