Applying for repairman certificate for EAB partially built

My DAR told me that the DAR’s have no function with the application of the repairman’s cert. When I asked he said “Contact the FSDO. We don’t have anything to do with that.” Now he was an old DAR so maybe it changed and he didn’t want any part of it.
Don't think that has changed, they are Designated Airworthiness Representatives after all.

My DAR told me that the DAR’s have no function with the application of the repairman’s cert. When I asked he said “Contact the FSDO. We don’t have anything to do with that.” Now he was an old DAR so maybe it changed and he didn’t want any part of it.
Similar experience here, and I don't know of anyone who got their repairman's cert from a DAR, only from the FSDO.

Nauga,
dual hatted

Similar experience here, and I don't know of anyone who got their repairman's cert from a DAR, only from the FSDO.

Nauga,
dual hatted

20 years ago, DAR’s routinely filled out the Repairman’s Certificate paperwork and submitted it for you at the same time they performed their other responsibilities. I don’t know when that stopped, but it did.

20 years ago, DAR’s routinely filled out the Repairman’s Certificate paperwork and submitted it for you at the same time they performed their other responsibilities. I don’t know when that stopped, but it did.
Did you have to see anyone in the FSDO to get the cert? I did all my own repairman paperwork (19 years ago) and had to go in for an interview/oral exam.

Nauga,
apparently certifiable.

FYI: there is no DAR-T or DAR-F function code authorizing a designee to issue a repairman certificate. Strictly a function of the administrator. Whether a DAR offered to take the application to the FSDO ASI is merely a convenience to the aircraft owner as the ASI is the one who signs off on it and issues it.

Did you have to see anyone in the FSDO to get the cert? I did all my own repairman paperwork (19 years ago) and had to go in for an interview/oral exam.

Nauga,
apparently certifiable.

The first time, the DAR handled it and the RC showed up in the mail a week or two later.

The recent one (a couple of months ago), I electronically submitted my paperwork and had a 5 minute video conference with the FAA rep. He sent me the temp certificate electronically before the video conference ended.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but start the process as early as you can. It took me literal months to get an appointment with the FSDO even with me volunteering to drive the 3 hours to come to them. In the end it was a 5 min conversation and signing of a few forms.

Back