Apple Event 9/12/23 1P ET

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Our household is pretty heavily into Apple products, and we’re AAPL shareholders, so we’ll be watching.

I’m prepared to be underwhelmed. Rumor is that the iPhone 15 will finally switch to USB-C, which will render a lot of Lightning devices obsolete, but it’s probably time. Also maybe an Apple Watch Ultra 2. My current phone is an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it’s fine for everything I need it for. Karen has a 13 Pro Max and also sees no need for a new iPhone. Similarly, we’re both happy with our Apple Watches - my Ultra and her Series 8. And our iPads both work fine, as do our Apple TV’s.

And they always over-hype the silliest things - I gram lighter, 2 microns thinner, new colors, and so on. But sometimes there is an exciting “one more thing…”. We’ll just have to see.

I’m prepared to be underwhelmed. Rumor is that the iPhone 15 will finally switch to USB-C, which will render a lot of Lightning devices obsolete, but it’s probably time.
Only because Europe forced their hand in it. From some of the articles I've read, Apple isn't happy about it, isn't really adopting USB-C and all of its capability, which from my light reading is lightyears ahead of the Lightning connector's capabilities. There was also talk that they may try to make the iPhone only recognize Apple branded USB-C cords and accessories. They don't want to give up their cable/accessory monopoly.

Signed a happy Android user!

My iPad is USB-C. Apple Watches now ship with USB-C charging cables. For the most part, USB-C allows charging at a higher amperage, so charging is noticably quicker. It appears to be the new “standard” for most devices.

I’m on an XR and iOS 17 is likely the last release that will support it. I don’t care about the connector due to wireless charging and being able to cast most video to other devices. Carplay is the only ise I jave for a connector, but my wife’s car has wireless charging and wireless carplay, so I sense the days of a connector are numbered.

Hee hee…

53183301550_950b12e206.jpg

I’ll post more on the announcements later, but if you have a chance, at least check out the initial intro video. It’s a vignette featuring capabilities the Apple Watch and iPhone have that have likely saved lives. Quite well done and touching.

On that note, a couple of moths ago I went down pretty hard on a motorcycle when the road I was on ended unexpectedly and I hit some gravel. As I was surveying the damage to the bike and myself, my phone rang. It was Roane County TN Emergency Services. They said it looked like I had been in a crash and was I OK. Fortunately I just had bruised knees and a very lightly sprained right hand, and I told them I didn’t need help. Still, it’s not hard to imagine if the crash had gone just a bit differently, that that feature of the phone and/or watch could conceivably have been a life saver. At 74, even “fall detection” could be valuable someday. I know there are a lot of false alarms, but it’s still a valuable feature. I also know someone whose first awareness of AFIB incidents came from their Apple Watch, so these incidents really can and do happen.

I'm (mostly) happy to see a shift to USB-C. I was hoping to see a new iPad mini- mine is running short on storage space and I don't really want to buy a new aging model. The rumor mill says it's coming, we'll see.

Overall it seems like a pretty meh update- the usual faster/better camera/etc stuff.

I'm (mostly) happy to see a shift to USB-C. I was hoping to see a new iPad mini- mine is running short on storage space and I don't really want to buy a new aging model. The rumor mill says it's coming, we'll see.

Overall it seems like a pretty meh update- the usual faster/better camera/etc stuff.
But it seems like it's an antiquated version?

Underwhelmed here. Faster procs, new colors, USB-C, better cameras. Same price. Airpods Pros are USB-C now. Watches are faster. No new iPads, Apple TV or Homepods.

This feature debuted on the iPhone 14, but I think it’s been underrated:

In short, a new iPhone can serve as a Satellite phone, albeit a limited one. Amazing when you consider the size and cost of a dedicated Satellite phone. Apparently the first 2 years of service are free - no mention was made of the subscription beyond that point. I believe the ability to call/dispatch AAA roadside service without cell or WiFi coverage was just added.

I don’t know if any other phones have this ability, but the benefit of such an ability seems valuable, especially for pilots flying over desolate areas.

The Apple Event is up on YouTube:

As I said, the opening segment is worth watching, and the Satellite Phone capability begins about 50:30 in.

There hasn't been enough of an upgrade since my iphone 12 pro to make me want to upgrade. I do desperately need a new Ipad mini to replace my Gen 1.

There hasn't been enough of an upgrade since my iphone 12 pro to make me want to upgrade. I do desperately need a new Ipad mini to replace my Gen 1.
I'm right on the fence. Most of the improvements I could do without. Still, a brighter screen, incrementally better camera, faster USB-C charging and the like would be nice.

But the Emergency SOS and AAA Roadside Assistance via satellite when out of cellular range could come in REALLY handy in an emergency. We do lots of road trips, and its not that unusual to have no bars. With the record heat we've been having, there are large parts of the country I would not want to break down. Not to mention following an emergency landing in some remote area.

But no rush - I'll wait to see what the trade in on my 12 Pro Max would be at the local AT&T. The balance spread over time on my AT&T bill would hardly be noticeable. Though most often I've been able to get a lot more on eBay.

We had AAA for a while, mainly for wife and daughter. The three times it was used, the minimum response time was greater than 2 hours, with one greater than 3. The 4th time was going to be 2+ hours, but a rodeo rider, I forget his name now, stopped and had them going in about 20 minutes.

This is the kind of a deal it’s hard to say “no” to:

53184954602_ca2cc55514.jpg

That’s trading in my 256 gb iPhone 12 Pro Max for a 512gb iPhone 15 Pro Max*. Still no rush, but probably going to go ahead and do it when things calm down after the initial crush.

*Probably could get by with 256 gb, but more storage helps ”future-proof” it a little. The 256 gb model would only be about $5.50/month.

That’s trading in my 256 gb iPhone 12 Pro Max for a 512gb iPhone 15 Pro Max*. Still no rush, but probably going to go ahead and do it when things calm down after the initial crush.

*Probably could get by with 256 gb, but more storage helps ”future-proof” it a little. The 256 gb model would only be about $5.50/month.

I thought you were a “if I can’t pay for it in cash I ain’t buying it” kind of guy, no? FOURTEEN HUNDID DOLLARS sounds insane for a phone, especially when you already have a phone.

$1000 trade credit -- did you trade a lesser iphone 15 in for that? :D
Nope. iPhone 12 Pro Max. The carriers are offering really large trade in values to get new customers and to keep existing ones. And zero % payments. So, total payments of about $400. I recall sales tax is due on the full amount on purchase, kind of punitive here in TN @ 9.25%.

I thought you were a “if I can’t pay for it in cash I ain’t buying it” kind of guy, no? FOURTEEN HUNDID DOLLARS sounds insane for a phone, especially when you already have a phone.
You have mistaken me for someone else. I’ll gladly take advantage of 0% or very low interest rates if offered.

I agree paying full boat is a lot of money for a “phone”. But it serves so many other functions, the phone part is only a minor part of what you get in your pocket. I won’t bother listing them, but ”just a phone” is totally downplaying the capabilities of the device in you’re buying. $11/month is ridiculously cheap - at least to me. And at the end of 3 years there may be another $1,000 trade-in offer, making it even cheaper.

But if you find it “insane”, it’s obviously not for you.

That’s pretty slick. If it had wireless charging as well, I’d buy it.
It's got USB power passthrough. Glue a wireless charging pad to its back and call it a day. :)

You have mistaken me for someone else. I’ll gladly take advantage of 0% or very low interest rates if offered.

I agree paying full boat is a lot of money for a “phone”. But it serves so many other functions, the phone part is only a minor part of what you get in your pocket. I won’t bother listing them, but ”just a phone” is totally downplaying the capabilities of the device in you’re buying. $11/month is ridiculously cheap - at least to me. And at the end of 3 years there may be another $1,000 trade-in offer, making it even cheaper.

But if you find it “insane”, it’s obviously not for you.

To be clear, I don’t think what You’re doing is insane, I just think the price of phones in general is.

I'm excited for USB-C and to stop being "the blue message" in our group texts in our family... but... I need to know if my borescope will work with the thing. Apple seems to have it out for "External cameras" and needs a wifi box hack which I hate. Direct plug VA400 snaps/videos might see me finding that $1400.

I live for the day when I can throw my iPhone into the river. Before everybody says so go ahead now you can do it now. That’s not really a practical answer in this day and age. A large part of my iphone addiction actually comes from flying. although I do get a chuckle when people ask me for my cell phone number and I say I don’t have one. The look on their face is priceless.

I think 256 is the lowest storage size you should go, if you use Foreflight on it. The maps and charts, plus the normal stuff you will load will blow through the 128 size pretty quick. I believe the 15 Pro/Pro Max starts at 256, so you should be good.

I think 256 is the lowest storage size you should go, if you use Foreflight on it. The maps and charts, plus the normal stuff you will load will blow through the 128 size pretty quick. I believe the 15 Pro/Pro Max starts at 256, so you should be good.
My 12 Pro Max is 256. I think I still have 40 gb remaining. My iPad is 256 and only half full. Storage is much less important than it used to be, since music, photos and videos can easily be stored in the cloud.

Still, I‘m thinking $200 for the 512 model might be worth it “just in case”. Just $5 a month more for 36 months. But I’m still on the fence and might just stay with 256.

Nothing wrong with getting a new flagship phone for $400 if that's how it works out. However, anyone who pays $1,400 for one is insane. Wait a year and buy it used for half price or less. I understand that it's "more than just a phone", but it doesn't do anything remarkably better than the previous versions. Same goes for Android stuff. We've approached the level of diminishing returns when the improvements are slight changes in cameras or tweaking features that rarely get used for 98% of users (satellite phones).

We had AAA for a while, mainly for wife and daughter. The three times it was used, the minimum response time was greater than 2 hours, with one greater than 3. The 4th time was going to be 2+ hours, but a rodeo rider, I forget his name now, stopped and had them going in about 20 minutes.
Better luck waving down a passerby, pretty much anywhere you would get some help faster than that.

However your monthly plan is how much? Verizon AT&T and T-Mobile jack up the prices of their monthly plans so much, then there are the second tier providers that provide service using the same networks for half the price and so forth.

If you have 2 phones on any of those, you’re probably paying $150-200/month, if you switch to a cheaper provider you can get 3 month free trial and your monthly ongoings for 2 lines would be $50-75/month. Do the math there, the phone cost doesn’t matter so much…

If you have 2 phones on any of those, you’re probably paying $150-200/month, if you switch to a cheaper provider you can get 3 month free trial and your monthly ongoings for 2 lines would be $50-75/month. Do the math there, the phone cost doesn’t matter so much…

We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and one Apple Watch on our AT&T plan. About $185/month, but that includes payments on Karen’s iPhone 13 - I think about $35/month. Very satisfied with AT&T and not inclined to switch carriers.

Why wouldn’t that continue? Blue means you’re using iMessage instead of SMS.

The other way around then. All I know is being the lone android on an iphone SMS/MMS group chat is akin to being the turd in the punchbowl.

Last edited:
Back