App billing

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Must the app download warn you of a fee, and distinctly require your approval for that specific amount before continuing with the dl?

Or, is the fee invisible & approval implied by the clicking on ‘download’?

Iphone SE
Textron Aviation Cessnav app

Not sure I understand what you’re asking, Dave. Unless the app is free, the stated amount will be charged upon initial install.

If you are referring to this app, then yes it is free to download. You need a Textron Aviation Account to use it and it looks like you may also need an account with TxtavSuppport.

Bought an ipad once to run an aviation app I paid $99 for. Within a few months of buying the app the developer of the app released an update that disabled the app unless monthly subscription fees were paid. Dumped the app, any further patronage of the developer and the fruit device.

Not sure I understand what you’re asking, Dave. Unless the app is free, the stated amount will be charged upon initial install.

Thanks Ryan
This one (well on my phone, the way I am seeing it) does not have a price anywhere but neither did it say "Free" so I was wondering.

Thanks for the answers

Bought an ipad once to run an aviation app I paid $99 for. Within a few months of buying the app the developer of the app released an update that disabled the app unless monthly subscription fees were paid. Dumped the app, any further patronage of the developer and the fruit device.
Lemme guess... a logbook app that previously was fairly well liked?

Every other time I open the Google Play Store it asks me to enter payment info. I always decline. Not sure if the same is possible with the Apple App Store.

Thanks Ryan
This one (well on my phone, the way I am seeing it) does not have a price anywhere but neither did it say "Free" so I was wondering.

Thanks for the answers
If it's the Textron app I'm thinking of, the app is free but you need a Textron account. I seem to remember you fly some sort of Citation, so the owner might have a Textron account. If you run into technical problems with the app, I can give you a contact at Textron (Cessna). At least it was a good contact a couple years ago.

Lemme guess... a logbook app that previously was fairly well liked?

I thought he was talking about Xavion. Apparently this particular business strategy is catching on. Sigh.

I wouldn't say it's "catching on". It's something that happened with quite a few apps in a very short time frame, after in-app purchases became allowed. Originally, you couldn't do an in-app purchase and the developer had to pick a number to sell the app for that would allow them to support it indefinitely - Not really a solid business plan.

Once Apple added in-app purchases, many of these apps - Including ForeFlight and LogTen Pro at least - Switched to the more sustainable in-app subscription purchase model, and the apps themselves became free. ForeFlight, at least, credited all of their previous purchasers with a subscription as long as what they'd paid for the app, which seemed fair. I can't remember what LogTen did but I do remember being pretty mad about it and opting not to purchase a subscription with them.

Must the app download warn you of a fee, and distinctly require your approval for that specific amount before continuing with the dl?

Or, is the fee invisible & approval implied by the clicking on ‘download’?

Iphone SE
Textron Aviation Cessnav app

I don't know anything about that specific app, Dave, but in iOS they can't hit you with an in-app purchase without you being given the Touch ID/FaceID prompt to confirm the purchase. So, you can click "Download" all you want and not get billed, at least not via Apple.

And if you buy the app and dislike it for a specific period you can easily request a full refund from Apple... not sure if this works with subscriptions...

Back