AOPA: DON’T RECORD MORE THAN WHAT’S REQUIRED

I log every flight into Myflightbook. I however only log that which is vital, I don't put anything extraneous in it. I've seen firsthand how even the most innocent of things can be used against you in court, including social media and online posts.

The FAA doesn’t define what a logbook has to look like, so as long as your excel sheet shows what they need to see, it should be fine. I put mine on an excel spreadsheet, but anything that requires a signature is hard-copy in a separate book, so I’ve actually got two logbooks that I’d need to provide.

Although I would think I'd just provide the Excel sheet first and see if that suffices. I guess I could also provide a scanned image of the actual log books and blur out / redact all of the extra notes.

I skip logging flights all the time. My log book currently shows 01/20 as my last flight when I know I’ve taken the planes up at least 3 times since then. As long as I’ve got my currency for taking pax up, that’s all I really care about. To me the experience means far more than numbers in a book.

For work, I’m required to log but comments are optional. Just gotta print up my monthly report, stuff it in a binder and I have proof of currency. Also need it for annual resume (insurance) update. Fairly certain I won’t be transitioning to a different flying job but I keep records anyway.

I’ve logged all the names of the dogs I have flown for PnP. I don’t think the FAA will get them to talk.

"Mr. Golf, I see that on the twenty-fourth of March, you flew a dog named Buddy from KABC to KXYZ. Were you compensated in any way? Did Buddy hump your leg? Humping your leg is considered by the FAA to be a form of compensation..." :rofl:

Datapoint:

in 18 years of flying, logging 2,000ish hours, landing in 20ish states, I never saw one FAA guy or was ramp checked.

I WAS harassed by some TSA goons at put-in bay about 10 or 12 years ago. That ended relatively quickly though when I told them to go have sex with themselves and walked away.

Of course, I never had an incident or posted vids on YouTube that raised their suspicion! (Har @SixPapaCharlie)

Datapoint:

I have been ramp checked more often than just about anybody I know. I’ve never had to present logbooks to the FAA.

1 incident, one other visit with the FAA for stupidity, and the only time I’ve had to present logbooks to the FAA was when I had to have them audit my logbook before my ATP written...ah, the good ol’ days. (Although as an ATP examiner, I wish they’d take that responsibility back.)

I did have to send a copy of my last logbook page to the insurance company once, because they needed proof that I was qualified to fly a particular jet. The page I sent them had five entries, and no times carried forward or totaled. They determined I was qualified. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
.... and if that wasn't enough, he put it on Face Book! Yikes. Paul Bertorelli AV Web did a great review of that incidence that I watched on YouTube last night. https://www.avweb.com/multimedia/votw/roy-halladay-crash-dissected/
It would have been wise if he used the I.A.M.S.A.F.E. checklist. Unfortunately I think his judgement was a little off when he made this flight. The only fortunate thing was nobody was on board with him and nobody else was injured. That's not to say nobody was hurt because I'm sure his loss left a big hole in the hearts of family, friends and fans.

Paul is very good at what he does.

For years I just photocopied the trip sheet and threw it into a box, always intending to put it in my logbook. The trip sheets all had the basic required information on them and notes I scribbled about the instrument approaches and actual IFR time. About the third or forth time I moved for the company, I realized I'd better get to it because by then I had four full file boxes of trip sheets and I was tired of hauling them around with me.
I essentially did that, as we keep a log in the plane. Then we sold the plane. And then I can't find the logs, so more than a hundred hours are gone. Don't need 'em, luckily.

I log most flights with a remark about what I did or who I flew with, or "windy" or "beautiful evening." To be sure, there are no entries recording flying under bridges... :rolleyes:

I usually set my phone to record a GPS track for later review, that way I don't have to keep track of the times when I'm flying. Often the tracklogs will pile up on my computer until I get around to writing them in the logbook.

The FAA asked to see my logbooks twice, once when I was accused of low flying (I was flying legally, the witness hated airplanes and lied), and once after an off airport forced landing. In both cases they found nothing incriminating.

Back