Anyone Other Than Rainbow Aviation offering the LSR-M Course?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I am looking to schedule some vacation this year and I want to take the LSR-M course for ELSA/SLSA maintenance. For some reason, I thought Rainbow Aviation was on the west coast, so I was planning to go through them.

But they are in Missouri, and I am in California.

Are there any companies teaching this course on the west coast?

Might want to ask this question over at the sportpilottalk.com web site

Last edited:
They were in Corning California, but yes, Rainbow has moved. A 15 day course (3 weeks when I did it) and you become an A&P/IA for Light Sport aircraft, definitely worth getting out to Missouri for your vacation.

They were in Corning California, but yes, Rainbow has moved. A 15 day course (3 weeks when I did it) and you become an A&P/IA for Light Sport aircraft, definitely worth getting out to Missouri for your vacation.

I am willing to make the trip, but in the words of Mal Reynolds "That's not exactly plan A".

I would rather take the course within a 3 hour flight (in my Yankee), and somewhere I can stay at a hotel without renting a car (Rainbow's space looks to be in the middle of nowhere.)

You become a Repairman Light Sport Aircraft - Maintenance - Airplane, also knows as LSRM-A. I think it would be stretching it a bit to consider that the A&P/IA equivalent for Light Sport certificated airplanes.

Yes, they are in the middle of nowhere. I've flown in there twice in my FD CTSW. Not a bad landing strip, but not for your hot airplane. A lake on one end, a hump in the middle and a power line on the other end.

I think it would be stretching it a bit to consider that the A&P/IA equivalent for Light Sport certificated airplanes.
Jim,
Not wishing to start an internet spat, but what can an A&P/IA do either actually or legally that an LSRM-A can’t do on an LSA? I see you fly Experimental Light Sports, did you take the 16 hr. course and get the LSRI-A certificate (instead of the 120 hr LSRM-A?)

I’m not taking anything away from a A&P/IA’s, I know many and have great respect. They have to safely work on all aircraft types including passenger jet aircraft. That they can learn all that in just a few years is incredible, the equivalency I wrote of is only in regards to LSA’s, a far narrower field.
-Craig

Mark,
Consider Flying into Lee Summit and sharing a rental car with some of the other students and save some money. Also, at least in Corning, Rainbow had a great deal with the local motel for well under half the regular rate.
-Craig

I'd love to do a course like this but US citizens only :-/

what can an A&P/IA do either actually or legally that an LSRM-A can’t do on an LSA?
While I think it is more semantics in the difference, not all LSAs fall under the consensus standards like a J3 which requires an APIA. Unfortunately, it's my understanding some LSRMAs believed they were the "APIAs of LSA" and got themselves into a bind when they worked on a TC'd aircraft. I think for simplicity it's best to keep the ratings separate as intended: E/AB repairman, LSA repairman, CRS repairman, A&P, and APIA. As to what each is legally able to perform is more dependent on the specific aircraft and situation.

I took the 16 hour course, the 120 hour course for airplanes and I have the glider add-on. RLSA-M-A/G

Back