For Sale Anyone looking for a GOAT?

Discussion in 'The Classifieds' started by mscard88, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Each to their own, but that's the stuff I can't stand. Sure they're nice cars, but I want American. When American companies want to outbuild the foreigns, we can do it quite easily.

The Z06 Vette can hang with any import for about 1/3 the price.

Zeldman likes this.
  2. Blueangel

Blueangel Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    But the interior of a Vette is crap. I like the older classic Corvette roadsters but they cost a fortune!

3. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    I used to think that way too, but they've really stepped it up in the last couple of years. I test drove one a year ago and was pretty impressed. I mean, you're still not going to mistake the interior for a Lexus, but it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

4. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    Agree the latest Vette has better interior finally. Still, I'd rather buy and own a late model used low mile Ferrari or Lambo for new Vette money. The looks, style and thrills are spectacular out of this world. I drove new Corvette then a used late model Ferrari and the Italian exotics gets my blood pumping way more. Now a ZR1 , Ford GT super car not mustang, or Shelby Cobra is great on par with a used Lambo or Ferrari. But similar cost.

5. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I'm very happy with the interior of my C7.
    Very, very happy. Right down to my HUD.
    The seats engulf you.

The one complaint is there is nowhere to store anything. You just put it behind the seat seeing as there is no backseat / trunk.

6. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    It's funny, this is similar to the Cirrus vs. used Bonanza/Mooney/whatever argument we like to have on this board. :) I agree - a Ferrari is pure sex, in a way the Vette can't equal. So I can understand a desire to have a used Ferrari vs. a new Vette. But if someone insists on a *new* car, it's pretty well impossible to beat the price/performance ratio of a Corvette.

I really wanted to buy one. Then I met a girl and moved to a city where having a nice car is dumb. Where is that emoji that shows a gun up against my head? ;)

Blueangel likes this.
  7. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Bwahahahaha!!!

I guess we all have our own opinions.

8. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    The Viper is pretty good for a fast American car. Looks more exotic than a Corvette. All good though we have our preferences.

9. rtk11

rtk11 Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    rtk
    I've had a few exotics and I have said that "Most can afford to buy the car, but not many can afford to maintain them." I could feel the dollar bills flying out of my wallet for every mile I put on those cars. And maintaining them "by the book" was critical to maintain the provenance, otherwise the vehicle devalued. Kind of like our airplanes. :p

While driving exotics was nice, and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to have them, I don't miss them. Besides, the only attention you would get would be from other guys, the police, or women you didn't want to attract the attention of in the first place.

I like the Corvette, but agree that the interiors were a bit plasticky in early generations, especially the C5 I test drove. The almost 2 decade old Ferrari I had then felt better and was more comfortable, though undeniably the Corvette was faster.

The Corvettes have gotten a lot better. But I'm a Ford guy first... though the newest Mustang (aside from the Coyote 5.0 motor or the flat plane Boss 302 motor) really doesn't do much for me. But if I had to get an exotic, I'd probably look at one that was more practical, like the Audi R8. But for that kind of money, you might as well get the Tesla Model S P100D and have a luxurious interior, auto pilot, and ludicrous speed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Blueangel likes this.
  10. paflyer

paflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PAFlyer
    Of course, as a red-blooded American boy, pre- "War on Terrorism(TM)", you also loaded it with firecrackers on the subsequent July 4.

11. Anthony

Anthony Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Anthony
    LOL! We used to build ship models with firecrackers BUILT into them for the express purpose of blowing them up on the pond. At first we put too many in them, so they'd just disappear upon explosion. So we used model glue, which caught fire, and less fireworks to simulate a slower demise. :D

12. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Man... .great memories..!!! But why wait until the 4th of July?

We also put black powder in the engines.....

Once we filled a plane full of black powder. Our eyebrows completely grew back in about 6 months...

13. paflyer

paflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PAFlyer
    I'm wondering what the statute of limitations is in this case....

14. Anthony

Anthony Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Anthony
    I must be getting old because, I actually like the new Corvette, plus they won't kill you with maintenance. A used exotic, like a Ferrari, will eat your breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight snack, etc with maintenance.

Kritchlow and Blueangel like this.
  15. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    True, Italian cars are not cheap to own. I like the old Corvette roadsters like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevrolet-Corvette-/263021771723

If I was to buy an expensive car, it would be something like the classic American muscle car! It would be less expensive than a newer car to own and actually appreciate in value over time and be unique and get props at car shows.
    BUT my goal now is an airplane. I figure for 50-200k, instead of a vintage car or exotic, a plane would give me far more joy and use.

16. Blueangel

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    @rtk- agree the R8 is super comfortable and a blast to drive for a modern exotic. Cousin to the Lambo but less expensive to buy and own.

17. wrbix

wrbix Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    TTRS keeps up with the R8 in a much less flashy fashion, and considerably less investment.