Anyone in Chicago want to grab a drink (11/25 - 11/26)?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
So for my birthday, my old lady bought us tickets to Chicago to get pizza at this place I loved as a kid.

That's far out... right?

Anyway, we are going to be out there doing tourist stuff by day and pretending we are young and kid free at night.

Never been there before. Have an itinerary for day time but nights we are going to make it up as we go. If anyone is local to the area, and available, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

You guys staying near Michigan Ave? That will be sporting on Black Friday. But beer, food and good company are good reasons to do it and we can hit a place a quick walk/taxi/train away from the crowds. We're in.

Happy Birthday!
Great Pizza!!
Have fun!

Stay away from the ho's! (unless you can lose "the old lady") :D

I've kinda been wanting to check out the area and grab some pizza too. one of these days.........

So for my birthday, my old lady bought us tickets to Chicago to get pizza at this place I loved as a kid.

That's far out... right?

Anyway, we are going to be out there doing tourist stuff by day and pretending we are young and kid free at night.

Never been there before. Have an itinerary for day time but nights we are going to make it up as we go. If anyone is local to the area, and available, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

Huh?

looks like it would be pretty cool flying into Burke

I suspect there will be plenty of people in Chicago that will love to grab your drink.
And your wallet.
And your "old lady".

It's a shame that you can't carry a weapon to defend yourself with. The grabbers will surely have one.

edit:
But tell me where your favorite place is (or was) and if it is still there. Last time I went to Chicago and asked where to get good old fashioned Chicago style pizza, I was pointed to a bunch of chains.

Next edit: I see you linked to http://www.mypiepizza.com/
Isn't that just a brand new chain? At least it is new around here. Maybe it originated in Chicago a long time ago.

No, but if your old lady ever buys you tickets to Boston to get lobstah at that place you loved as a kid... even though you've never been there before and it's only been around for a couple years, give me a shout.

I suspect there will be plenty of people in Chicago that will love to grab your drink.
And your wallet.
And your "old lady".

It's a shame that you can't carry a weapon to defend yourself with. The grabbers will surely have one.

edit:
But tell me where your favorite place is (or was) and if it is still there. Last time I went to Chicago and asked where to get good old fashioned Chicago style pizza, I was pointed to a bunch of chains.

Next edit: I see you linked to http://www.mypiepizza.com/
Isn't that just a brand new chain? At least it is new around here. Maybe it originated in Chicago a long time ago.
I think there is only one now. I ate at the other location 30 years ago.

People all over have been wondering about the history of My π and where the locations were. Here is a list. (at least, what I have been able to pry out of my parents and what I remember)

The first My π was in Roger’s Park, Chicago, at 6568 N. Sheridan Road. Across from the Loyola-Chicago University campus. It was opened on August 24, 1971 by my father.

The second My π location (a franchise), which was the first deep dish pizza restaurant ever opened outside of the Chicagoland area, opened on November 28, 1973 in Miami Beach, Fl.

Followed by:

November 1974 Tulsa, OK (FR)
August, 19, 1975 Golden Valley, MN (FR)
November 1975 Oklahoma City, OK (FR)
February 1976 Boulder, Co (FR)
July 1976 Norwalk, Ct (FR)
July 13, 1976 Glen Ellyn, IL (FR)
July 12, 1977 Hicksville, NY (Long Island) (FR)
April 25, 1978 Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL (AFO)
August 23, 1978 Phoenix, AZ (FR)
January 1979 Dadeland, Miami, Fl (FR)
June 1979 Kendale Lakes, Miami, FL (FR)
November 1979 Edina, St. Paul, MN (FR)
June 17, 1980 Massapequa, NY (Long Island) (FR)
September 2, 1980 Fort Wayne, IN (FR)
September, 1981 My Pie, Too Hubbard Woods, Winnetka, IL (AFO)
July 1982 Gainesville, FL (FR)
January 26, 1984 Wilmette, IL (AFO)
May 31, 1984 Wheeling, IL (AFO)
March 18, 1985 Re-opening of Glen Ellyn (AFO)
April 1985 Huntington, NY (Long Island) (FR)
May 26, 2000 Bucktown, Chicago, IL (AFO) (2010 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL)
June 16, 2009 Northbrook, IL (AFO)

(Fr = Franchise, AFO = Aronson Family Owned)

By the time Uno’s opened it’s first restaurant outside of Illinois, My π had 16 locations in 9 states.

My father semi-retired and shut down all the franchised locations by the early 1990’s. Then in 2008, he fully retired by closing his last location, the Lincoln Park, Chicago restaurant. Thereby leaving my location as the only true My π restaurant.

Some fun facts:

The reason why our pizza tastes the same as it did when we first opened in 1971 or at any of our franchised locations is because we’ve used the same Wisconsin dairy to make the same mozzarella cheese, the same tomatoes, Italian sausage and flour to make our pizzas. My dad had any key ingredients that couldn’t be obtained locally, shipped to every restaurant.

The original My π location in Roger’s Park, Chicago closed in 1995.

Hmph! My grandmother made the best tomato pie, (what we Italians call it), she came over from Italy, so there! Always wished I had her recipe for her sauce, might've been a good business.

is
is

Interesting 6PC. Next time I'm in the Windy City, I'll have to stop and give your pie a try.

Consistency in product? I was going to guess that that you used the same "mother" for your dough. Don't know if you do or not, but that would have been cool.

I miss Chicago deep dish...

I dont have a smart ass answer, but I am a definite maybe for the 26th.

duuuuuuuuuude, you're rollin in pizza money, niiiiice!!!!

You can get a good Tomato Pie in Italy. But it isn't pizza (which didn't originate in Italy).
Frenchie, on Hogan's Heros put it best: "Italian Pizza is just a cracker with ketchup on it".
Have you ever ordered a pepperoni pizza in Italy? It is a cracker with ketchup and "pepperoncinis" on it.

But I'm sure you grandmother made a good pie or you wouldn't have brought it up.

Hmph! My grandmother made the best tomato pie, (what we Italians call it), she came over from Italy, so there! Always wished I had her recipe for her sauce, might've been a good business.

is
is

duuuuuuuuuude, you're rollin in pizza money, niiiiice!!!!
No. He's not rolling in it. He is flying in it.

Oh, and 6PCs list is incomplete. They opened several My PI Pizza places around here (Daytona Beach) in the past couple of years.

You can get a good Tomato Pie in Italy. But it isn't pizza (which didn't originate in Italy).

But I'm sure you grandmother made a good pie or you wouldn't have brought it up.

Yup. Not sure but I think pizza more American but might have been somewhere else where it originated. All Grammom's was/is: dough, tomato sauce (her secret), and some herbs and spices. Nothing really fancy, but man, delicious, and it was about an inch or so thick.

Yup. Not sure but I think pizza more American but might have been somewhere else where it originated. All Grammom's was/is: dough, tomato sauce (her secret), and some herbs and spices. Nothing really fancy, but man, delicious, and it was about an inch or so thick.
That is the key that makes real Italian food so good.

I in no way affiliated with the pizza joint. That is a quote from their website.

It is no longer a chain. There is only one remaining at this time. I believe they have the name using pi symbol but "my pie" is some new chain.

I'm not communicating well today. I blame SharePoint

That is the key that makes real Italian food so good.

Yup, and everything she made came from scratch almost 100%. They had like an acre or two just of tomatoes in New Jersey, and a bunch of other veggies.

I'm around on the 25th. I'll be leaving on Sat or Sunday for my IFR finish up course. Lots of good places to go and pretend to be younger. Lots of interesting music venues. Kingston Mines is a favorite for local blues or Buddy Guy's Legends. The piano bar. For some silly show/theater type stuff. Second city if you like comedy. Gorilla tango is fun for some nerdy burlesque. Bye bye liver or late night catechism are some goofy shows. And there's always some fest or fair of some sort going on.
And for food, Portillos for Italian beef (get the combo) and Lou Malnotti's is the best Chicago Pizza (Check out the classic).

Lot's of other good options. These are two things we do well here in Chicago. Drink and eat. Probably in that order.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If your going all the way to Chi-town for pizza and its NOT Giordano's, then you are wrong.

No arguments, no absolution. Just wrong.
You should also stop by Portillo's for a Combo Beef and Sausage. mmmm....

I ate at the McDonalds next to Giordano's in Chicago. Does that count? Come to think of it, the secret sauce did seem extra tangy...

Giordano's is opening in Las Vegas for us West Coast folks seeking deep dish pie comfort.

oh yeah, hhhmmfff. don't know how I goobered that one up so bad. thx.

Meh. Cleveland, Chicago. They are basically the same thing to me.

Except one didn't illegally bulldoze their lake-front downtown airport.

People all over have been wondering about the history of My π and where the locations were. Here is a list. (at least, what I have been able to pry out of my parents and what I remember)

The first My π was in Roger’s Park, Chicago, at 6568 N. Sheridan Road. Across from the Loyola-Chicago University campus. It was opened on August 24, 1971 by my father.

The second My π location (a franchise), which was the first deep dish pizza restaurant ever opened outside of the Chicagoland area, opened on November 28, 1973 in Miami Beach, Fl.

Followed by:

November 1974 Tulsa, OK (FR)
August, 19, 1975 Golden Valley, MN (FR)
November 1975 Oklahoma City, OK (FR)
February 1976 Boulder, Co (FR)
July 1976 Norwalk, Ct (FR)
July 13, 1976 Glen Ellyn, IL (FR)
July 12, 1977 Hicksville, NY (Long Island) (FR)
April 25, 1978 Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL (AFO)
August 23, 1978 Phoenix, AZ (FR)
January 1979 Dadeland, Miami, Fl (FR)
June 1979 Kendale Lakes, Miami, FL (FR)
November 1979 Edina, St. Paul, MN (FR)
June 17, 1980 Massapequa, NY (Long Island) (FR)
September 2, 1980 Fort Wayne, IN (FR)
September, 1981 My Pie, Too Hubbard Woods, Winnetka, IL (AFO)
July 1982 Gainesville, FL (FR)
January 26, 1984 Wilmette, IL (AFO)
May 31, 1984 Wheeling, IL (AFO)
March 18, 1985 Re-opening of Glen Ellyn (AFO)
April 1985 Huntington, NY (Long Island) (FR)
May 26, 2000 Bucktown, Chicago, IL (AFO) (2010 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL)
June 16, 2009 Northbrook, IL (AFO)

(Fr = Franchise, AFO = Aronson Family Owned)

By the time Uno’s opened it’s first restaurant outside of Illinois, My π had 16 locations in 9 states.

My father semi-retired and shut down all the franchised locations by the early 1990’s. Then in 2008, he fully retired by closing his last location, the Lincoln Park, Chicago restaurant. Thereby leaving my location as the only true My π restaurant.

Some fun facts:

The reason why our pizza tastes the same as it did when we first opened in 1971 or at any of our franchised locations is because we’ve used the same Wisconsin dairy to make the same mozzarella cheese, the same tomatoes, Italian sausage and flour to make our pizzas. My dad had any key ingredients that couldn’t be obtained locally, shipped to every restaurant.

The original My π location in Roger’s Park, Chicago closed in 1995.

I lived by the Loyola campus when I moved to Chicago and attended Loyola as a college student in the 80s. Are at the mypie on Sheridan many times. It's good stuff.

I in no way affiliated with the pizza joint. That is a quote from their website.

It is no longer a chain. There is only one remaining at this time. I believe they have the name using pi symbol but "my pie" is some new chain.

I'm not communicating well today. I blame SharePoint

Bryan you can call me. In town that weekend, but may he really busy as my kids are in from out of town and daughter just got engaged.

We fly in tomorrow morning and have pretty full days Fri and Sat but evenings are just looking for places to eat and then hit some bars.
If anyone wants to meet for drinks, shoot me a PM as it will go to my email and phone.

We are staying in some area called the magnificent mile. No clue what that is.
@Mrs. SixPapaCharlie plans this stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving.

That's far out... right?

Good flying weather Friday and Saturday.
If coming up from the South, Gary GYY is the place to go these days.
Towered, not very busy, VERY affordable, 24 hour FBO's, great gas prices. They will shuttle you to the South Shore station, and you are into downtown in 35 minutes, with no traffic issues.
Call them when you reach the Stateline on the train, and they will be there to pick you up. (Just be sure to tip the driver).

If I weren't working at playing Airline this weekend, it sounds like a good excuse to drag the bird out of the hangar.

Back