Anyone Have Troubles Getting Work as a CFI?

FlyingForMe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingForMe
I really only have a few options locally for working as a CFI:
The Local FBO that rents planes and you have to be on staff as a CFI
Another Local flight club with monthly dues and more than 10 registered CFI's posted on their webpage.
The next closest airport that does instruction has 2 instructors and doesn't really seem to have any interest in having any backup instructors either.

I currently work full time in sales but i am thinking i'm ready to take the paycut to go full time CFI.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am curious to see the responses to this. I would think with all the whining I read on POA about unreliable CFI's or CFI's moving on and dropping students that a full time CFI would be in demand. Probably just comes down to where 'locally' is.

updated my profile after i posted.
I'm in Iowa, Des Moines metro.
I really didn't think i'd have an issue especially considering i have an extensive Professional background/ work history.

I am curious to see the responses to this. I would think with all the whining I read on POA about unreliable CFI's or CFI's moving on and dropping students that a full time CFI would be in demand. Probably just comes down to where 'locally' is.
Location, Location, Location.

There is a huge demand for CFIs in places like SoCal, Arizona and Florida.

Other parts of the country, not as much. There are pockets of demand here and there, but not as widespread.

Other parts of the country, not as much. There are pockets of demand here and there, but not as widespread.

Unfortunately i'm stuck in Iowa, my wife wouldn't move unless i had a job lined up that paid well enough she didn't have to work any more.

You've been drinking the KoolAid!

Well, I'm glad somebody's drinking the KoolAid 'cuz it got me my ATP, CL-65 type rating and a job flying jets under 121 a few decades after I thought that horse had long left the barn!! :rofl:

Please don't tell the recruiters.

They paying CFI's $75/hr in Minny? :D

Nope...maybe that's why they're hurting for them (although I've never ever heard of many CFI's getting $75/hour anywhere). We're having a heck of a time finding them at the typical $25-35/hour.

Nope...maybe that's why they're hurting for them (although I've never ever heard of many CFI's getting $75/hour anywhere). We're having a heck of a time finding them at the typical $25-35/hour.

How much of that $25-$35 does the CFI get? And I don't know his wife, but for her to move and not work, that $25-$35 seems a bit low to keep any woman happy. Especially if the FBO is keeping most of that money.

Murfreesboro Aviation is in need of Flight Instructors immediately. We have openings for three flight instructors. We will pay for your CFI-I as a sign on bonus if you do not have it. Send resume to admin@murfreesboroaviation.com MTSU Pro Pilot a plus. We also start our flight instructors higher than any flight school in the area. Our flight instructors average between 800 and 1,000 hours a year.

Jim Gardner

You are receiving this message because you are included in the mailing list at Murfreesboro Aviation. If you do not wish to receive broadcast messages in the future, please visit the address below to unsubscribe.
http://s09.myfbo.com/d/remove.asp?fbo=jkgl
If this link does not work for you, please copy and paste the entire link into the address field in your browser.
Murfreesboro Aviation, 1936 Memorial Blvd, Murfreesboro, TN, 37129

I got this email about a week and a half ago. Murfreesboro is a college town that has grown up into an extended suburb of Nashville.

You've been drinking the KoolAid!
No, open your eyes. The regionals are seriously having trouble finding folks that qualify and the cargo outfits like Ameriflight are in the same boat.

The reason there is a shortage is that no one who is qualified wants to work for that kind of pay. There are loads of high-time pilots looking for work in the corporate world who aren't willing to work for regional pay (and I can't say I blame them).

So there is a shortage....just not the kind of shortage that we want.

No, open your eyes. The regionals are seriously having trouble finding folks that qualify and the cargo outfits like Ameriflight are in the same boat.

The reason there is a shortage is that no one who is qualified wants to work for that kind of pay. There are loads of high-time pilots looking for work in the corporate world who aren't willing to work for regional pay (and I can't say I blame them).

So there is a shortage....just not the kind of shortage that we want.
oh...so, there's a pay shortage. :yikes::goofy::rofl:

I know when my CFI left for the regional they even gave him some kinda ungodly bonus. I dont know how much but he said it was "good....real good".

If you have a wife with an expected standard of living might be a bit late to career change to pro pilot. For part time stuff look for private owners that need FRs and such. Deliver good service with that crowd and you should end up with plenty of part time work.

oh...so, there's a pay shortage. :yikes::goofy::rofl:

I suppose you could say that. I believe that at least right now, the pay is contributing to the shortage.

There are plenty of qualified pilots....just not enough qualified pilots willing to work for that kind of starting pay.

The stories that some have conjured up of 1500 hr pilots getting hired into the right seat of a 737 at Southwest are not real.....well, at least until SWA Pilots hit the picket line soon.....

I really don't see that in my club. More and more CFIs less and less students. Thing are not like before IMHO
My be school that specialized on foreign pilots training have better picture overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a wife with an expected standard of living might be a bit late to career change to pro pilot. For part time stuff look for private owners that need FRs and such. Deliver good service with that crowd and you should end up with plenty of part time work.

How much of that $25-$35 does the CFI get? And I don't know his wife, but for her to move and not work, that $25-$35 seems a bit low to keep any woman happy. Especially if the FBO is keeping most of that money.

My Wife (and I in my current job) make really good money, our plan is that if i go full time with drastic pay cut, her income is enough to support us and mine will be our fun money.
So moving for a CFI Job is highly unlikely.

DSM should be a large enough market to stay busy, once you know people and have a good name...

I really don't see that in my club. More and more CFIs less and less students. Thing are not like before IMHO
My be school that specialized on foreign pilots training have better picture overall.

Depends on how willing the CFI is to work.

There are a TON of CFIs at Plus One. Some work very little to not at all or on call basis only. Others are too busy to take on any additional students.

Depends on how willing the CFI is to work.

There are a TON of CFIs at Plus One. Some work very little to not at all or on call basis only. Others are too busy to take on any additional students.

TONS of CFI doesn't mean they all happily overwhelmed with the students. I knew few CFIs who tried and struggled as independent full time at the club. All of them eventually went part time ( gotta pay bills)

We could use another CFI in Lincoln, NE.

TONS of CFI doesn't mean they all happily overwhelmed with the students. I knew few CFIs who tried and struggled as independent full time at the club. All of them eventually went part time ( gotta pay bills)
Go back and re-read what I said. I never said they were all 'happily overwhelmed with students'. Some are overwhelmed and many others don't really try to get students (because they aren't trying to be full time CFIs).

The problem that many CFI's have is that in order to be successful means you have to align your schedule with the schedule of your potential students and many don't want to do that. It is not a 9-5 job.

Go back and re-read what I said. I never said they were all 'happily overwhelmed with students'. Some are overwhelmed and many others don't really try to get students (because they aren't trying to be full time CFIs).

The problem that many CFI's have is that in order to be successful means you have to align your schedule with the schedule of your potential students and many don't want to do that. It is not a 9-5 job.

I wrote above that I know CFIs who did it yet struggled to keep full time going . There are several reason for that. One is lack of students. When I learn to fly in 2002 aviation was more affordable. And another (most likely related to the first one) is the great student drop off rate. When started as CFI for every 5 students who walked in 4 would drop at early stages out for varies reasons.

It is also impossible for independent instructor to train foreign students (who less likely to drop off) which would give additional opportunity.

By the way majority working class students prefer to fly early mornings, evenings, or weekends ( because regular work hours) which is perfectly aligned with schedule of majority part time CFIs. So there are no schedule conflicts unless CFI schedule is irregular which happens mostly for those who fly commercially.

news alert.....neither is most flying, it's a service job.

A job that requires to serve when the public wants to go, much like any other retail service job.... Weekends and holidays.:yes:

Never had a problem finding work, quite the opposite actually, I've had troubles with too much work lol

I you're in a market that's underserved, consider doing a lease back on a 150 or something, making a website, some simple marketing and doing your own thing, worked great for me on a couple occasions

Aside from the occasional night cross country, CFIing IS a 9-5, you should show up and have students booked 9-5 or you should be spending the time studying yourself, doin marketing, maybe apprenticing with a on field A&P, etc.

Also if you're going to make a living off aviation, you better be willing to move, especially early in your career, otherwise chances are your career is more or less over before it really started. Just the nature of the industry.

That seems to be the "new" price at Palo Alto, which is one major reason why I'm taking my instrument training in the South Bay. Another one is "Hold for IFR release expect one five minute delay."

The going rate in the South Bay is around $50/hour. Good instructors can be found cheaper, but they are part-timers (fine by me, not by everyone, though).

That does not define a "shortage." Other than a shortage of jobs!!

Shortage of operators who will treat and pay high time pilots as high time pilots.

Side note, typical CFI pay is 25-35hr, billed out to the student at 50hr.

Shortage of operators who will treat and pay high time pilots as high time pilots.

Side note, typical CFI pay is 25-35hr, billed out to the student at 50hr.

Any instructor that we approve to use our planes bills the student directly for their own time and receives everything the student pays them. That said, they'll be hard pressed to get much over $40/hr around here.

I got a CFI job right after I finished training at the school I trained out. June 7th will be my first full month as an instructor.

If anyone needs a CFI job and is willing to re-locate, shoot me a PM...I'll make sure the resume of anyone from here makes it to the top of the stack.

That's the CFI's portion.

Back