Anyone have a good plane gun?

I always, ALWAYS, have a pistol on my person...usually a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, a .40 Glock, or (like summertime/hot weather) a .38 S&W revolver. So what ever handgun I'm carrying is always in the plane too...but, I also have a rifle hidden in each of my vehicles (yeah, I know, I'm a gun nut), including my plane. In my work car, its a Colt AR15 (my work car actually has a built in gun safe). In my personal car, its a folding .40 carbine. And in my plane, it's this:

upload_2018-2-22_8-56-37.png

.22, and stores ammo on the butt plate. It was cheap, works great, and comes in a cool little backpack too.

TP-82 - Good enough for Cosmonauts landing their Voskhod in Siberia, good enough for someone in a 185 in the U.S.

:)

I generally run a Sig .45 1911 while traveling. However - bears are never a threat I’d have to contend with. Worse case scenario for me is that I put an airplane down right into someone’s secret meth lab. I have that sort of luck.

I generally run a Sig .45 1911 while traveling. However - bears are never a threat I’d have to contend with. Worse case scenario for me is that I put an airplane down right into someone’s secret meth lab.
or worse yet....the inner city. :eek:

What problem are you trying to solve?

Basically he has an excuse to shop for and buy another gun. The mental exercise of comparison shopping is half the fun of buying a new toy. He figured out a reason to buy a new toy, now he wants a sounding board for his ideas for the new toy. There really isn't a problem to solve unless he can't afford the new toy.

I would carry the gun that you shoot best with. Being able hit what your aiming at is the only way a firearm is going to be effective. 38 or 9mm would be the smallest caliber I would consider as an effective defensive caliber. My daily carry is a 9mm Sig Sauer and my walking in the bush gun is a Ruger 357 magnum. Shoot what your comfortable with and go to the range often. If you carry concealed remember that your permit is limited to the states that allow your particular CCW permit and getting caught carrying in a state like California (where very few permits are issued) will bring you more trouble than you could ever imagine. Good luck.

Browning ANM2. .30 cal. My airplane still has the mounts, just need to find the gun...
e0e0a52fb897a1990eb9ecb0e70972cf.jpg

If you carry concealed remember that your permit is limited to the states that allow your particular CCW permit and getting caught carrying in a state like California (where very few permits are issued) will bring you more trouble than you could ever imagine. Good luck.
Many states apparently didn't get the memo:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Option 1
Remington 870 marine magnum,
Staggered 12G magnum buck and slugs
Speed feed rear stock with bird shot stored on one side for bagging something I might eat, and Orion flares on the other side
Stored in a soft floating foam case.

I'd go with that one, the Benelli is kinda expensive for no really good need.

But... if dealing with bears is on the agenda, I'd add some slugs to that load-out.

I'd want to know what kind of planes will you be hunting. Some require bigger guns than others to bring 'em down.

I guess that’s suppose to be funny... ???

It was! LOL... but...

Maybe he's got a drone hunting license... in that case, something fast to aim/acquire with is better, and a lot smaller caliber will work fine. :)

I'd go with that one, the Benelli is kinda expensive for no really good need.

But... if dealing with bears is on the agenda, I'd add some slugs to that load-out.

Kinda leaning 870 marine magnum, but with the police metal trigger package, also seems like for a firearm that will be living in the plane, vs in my climate controlled house, the pump might be better than the more complex gas gun, plus being able to store flares and bird shot in the stock

The new Marine Defenders are chrome plated, not stainless steel. Great price but they're like a cheap Mossberg. Abuse it and don't worry about it. I have an old Mossberg that's lived an exciting life. And a Remington tactical 12ga. And a Winchester Marine 1300 stainless. I like them all.

Those who are unphased about a drone hitting an airplane, are worried enough about going down and getting attacked by a bear... and are so worried they feel the need to carry a gun.

I’m just the opposite.

View attachment 60345 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Stainless, laminated stock, big loop, Wild West trigger, bear proof ejector...easy to carry and packs a 45-70 punch. But in truth I usually carry my S&W 500 magnum in a chest holster.

I always carried a .44 in a chest rig when I was flying in big bear country

Flying on floats and wheels in Alaska, I originally carried a short barrel 870 shotgun, but that was a bit heavy and bulky to carry and keep track of. I ended up with a .454 Casull revolver in chest rig. Easy to carry it + extra ammo. Quite accurate too. To those who think big bore handgun rounds would bounce off a bear's skull- it would shoot all the way through an 8" spruce tree. A 500 Smith is even more powerful.

Those who are unphased about a drone hitting an airplane, are worried enough about going down and getting attacked by a bear... and are so worried they feel the need to carry a gun.

I’m just the opposite.

What you fly, and where...

I ain’t skeered of any of those.

I’m just the opposite.
It's not necessarily about survival after going down. Airplanes take us to a lot of places where the local wildlife can be dangerous. I've been very close to brown bears many times fishing, hunting or hiking after flying in. Some have acted aggressive. I agree that most of the time they don't intend to attack, but it is very comforting to have a weapon handy, if the worst happens. I have even had friends attacked by moose in the past.

Deleted

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything you said. Neither does any other responsible 2A proponent. But strict gun laws don't seem to do much to prevent killings in your biggest city.

I hope that you don't think that the Framers used the word "regulated" in the modern sense. In fact, the competency clause ("well regulated") was put in there as a rationale to not allow the government to prevent people from bearing arms of their own.

Deleted

Last edited:
This deserves a second post before the thread gets locked!

You know, I really, really like hot women... actually most women and I really, really like guns, but the whole hot girl with a gun has me puzzled. I really don't get it. It actually turns me off.

Of course, as usual- YMMV.

As an aside since someone posted the biathlon girl...

Shooting sports in Olympic coverage really get the short end of the stick.

I’ve been trying to follow some of the biathlon and they do show most of it live, but that’s around 4AM my time.

Every other event, you can open the NBC Sports Olympic app and watch replays of, but not biathlon or any of the other non-shooting Nordic events.

They cover them. There’s footage. It’s not like the hard drives are expensive or costing them any more to store all of the sports for later playback on their servers.

And no, I don’t think it’s a big conspiracy against the shooting sports either since they drop Nordic events also.

I’m not sure what else they drop, but why? I went back and watched some curling last night, no problem. It’s not like they’re just storing their prime-time stuff either. Those aren’t even shown on the main channel, they’re off on NBCSN or CNBC also.

Doesn’t make any sense.

Last Summer games there was an online interview with a female American who holds a PILE of medals in Olympic shooting. She joked that if any other athlete at the games had that many medals, the sportscasters would be fawning all over themselves to get interviews and talk to the athlete. Especially a female athlete.

But not a multi-Olympics multi-medal Olympic shooter. She said she’s used to it and laughed.

But seriously. It’s odd. Olympic shooting is REALLY hard. Incredibly hard to shoot at that level. And biathlon is a total *****.

Thought I’d fire up the App and watch some last night. Not there. Kinda sucks.

It's not necessarily about survival after going down. Airplanes take us to a lot of places where the local wildlife can be dangerous. I've been very close to brown bears many times fishing, hunting or hiking after flying in. Some have acted aggressive. I agree that most of the time they don't intend to attack, but it is very comforting to have a weapon handy, if the worst happens. I have even had friends attacked by moose in the past.

100_0901.JPG

From a simple point and click camera. Mom and cub about 30 feet away. All I ever carried in Alaska was a magnesium flare. It would drive off bears and moose and start a signal fire, even in the rain or snow. The 90 pound survival bag was supposed to have eatable food in it.... :lol::lol:

If you're going to arm your aircraft, may as well go all the way with a four time gold medal biathlon ex KGB officer....

Darya-Domracheva-Feet-2132046.jpg

Forget the 870, I'll have me one of those; she's hot and in the case of a bear or cougar, between her useless rimfire annoyance rifle and her heels, she'll bother the animal more and I could outrun her, so win win for me ;)

Per the anti American [delete] comment garbage, gotta look into what a comma means, scary how freedom scares some people, like stock home syndrome I guess

But yeah, hot Russian chick with a kinda sorta gun, well my middle name is danger lol

All that said, as much as I love to stir the proverbial pot, this question was in regards to real life factual bush flying, not some soft shoed political static.

Last edited:
It all depends, I guess. I've got an oldish Security Six that, with .357 158gr hollowpoints, will probably be enough gun for anything around here. When I fly over the Mark Twain National Forest, I like to go up fairly high so I have options as to where to land and so I'm not annoying the hikers/campers/critters. A rifle might be nice, but on a forced-landing,there's a chance that I might be able to get to it. I'd rather have a smaller gun on me than a gun I can't reach. A lever .30-30 would probably work for most things.

Bear country, definitely one of the big revolvers. I have dim memories of a book on bush flying from the late `80s; the pilot's wife killed a large bear with a .44 magnum.

OOC, why do you want a rifle/shotgun to keep in the plane rather than a handgun?

If I was going to carry in the plane, it would probably be my 1911.

I always recommended to new pilots to Alaska that if they want to carry a handgun for bear protection, then first remove the front sight and keep the gun liberally covered with Vaseline......

....because when you shoot the bear he will then shove that pistol where the sun doesn't shine, and it will be easier to remove.....

OOC, why do you want a rifle/shotgun to keep in the plane rather than a handgun?

If I was going to carry in the plane, it would probably be my 1911.

Because I've seen some large arse bears and I've seen how cats like to play with their prey, sending a few 00 magnum buck shot down range has a much better chance for success when you factor in the possible "oh chit" surprise factor.

Add to that being able to shoot a flair, without carrying around basically another "gun", and also being able to shoot bird shot and still having something I could eat in a survival situation.

Also I do fly into Canada at times and they are scared of pistols but seem to be ok with shotguns.

Bear country, definitely one of the big revolvers. I have dim memories of a book on bush flying from the late `80s; the pilot's wife killed a large bear with a .44 magnum.

"But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

Well, do you, Yogi?"

Back