Anyone flying to an airport in the 100% eclipse zone?

I completely understand how the zone works. The entire gist of that last reply was relative to the airports only.

My point was: If you were looking for a place to fly and were going to view the eclipse from the airport that using the zip code website (what most are) to determine the view from the airports may not be the best idea. Via zip code only the two cities suggest significantly different Totality time periods. As noted on the interactive map that is certainly not the case.
OK, I understand now, and agree. Sorry if I came across as lecturing you.

Many of us flying will be on the Tarmac to witness this event so the location of the center of the city (zip code) won't mean squat.
Yep, very true.

Btw that's not my blue line. That's a screen shot from wmschartbundle.com
Thanks, now I understand. The blue lines are apparently the limits of the totality zone, the red is the center of the zone. What confused me is your screen shot didn't include the rest of the zone so I wasn't sure what the blue line meant, or how it got on the chart.

I'm in Carbondale, Ill., now I wait.
Hope the weather holds for you. The NWS forecast says 60% chance of thunderstorms during the eclipse.

Based on the forecast last week, I would have picked southern IL/eastern MO too. But today it actually looks better for eastern TN and points east.

Camping at Triple Tree expecting the best. Everything I've read , experienced and pondered suggests:

It all about totality, 99.9% is interesting but not the experience

Even with cloud cover, totality darkness will be experienced

Time of totality matters little

That's one fiery assed thermonuclear fire up there that lights us up and warms the day. Covering it up, turning it OFF for a split second, even under a 3 layer overcast will get everyone's attention and be memorable.

The 1963 eclipse was over sold. Totality was in Canada, people had boxes on their heads from Maine to Ecuador

I hope to report back before 2025.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is it going at Triple Tree? That was my original plan until my wife and daughter outvoted me in favor of a hotel. My friend Mike is there in his Howard DGA, if you see him, tell him I said Hi. :)

I tried KSRB on a last minute whim and they are all full. Time to look for alternatives

Hope the weather holds for you. The NWS forecast says 60% chance of thunderstorms during the eclipse.

Based on the forecast last week, I would have picked southern IL/eastern MO too. But today it actually looks better for eastern TN and points east.

Wx is currently better than forecast. I think Missouri will have a good viewing.

In Jeff City at relatives. Scattered ceilings here this morning.

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be mostly sunny with showers after the eclipse. So we still may have clouds at the wrong time.

T-storms have moved out and clg is breaking up.

Starting to hear airplanes.

My plan, walk outside, put on welding hood, look up, ooh...ahhh, walk back inside.

KMDH is in a ground stop!
That was Kansas City Center. I kept the pressure on them getting all the Chicago area guys in the air as much as possible. It was an impressive stream of IFR arrivals from MDH to PWK lined up. Too bad I couldn't see all the VFR's heading there.

Check NOTAMs for the airport(s) you are visiting and use the listed frequencies for them, otherwise the published frequencies. Or ask for flight following if you are concerned for other traffic.

Yeah especially since most pilots are trying to use their foggles as eclipse viewing goggles:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
I got to serve as the Pastafarian Chaplain at today's eclipse. It was quite the honor!

35910759483_bc62e840c4.jpg

So glad you got to see it! :)

We had a great turnout here at the uni, for our 60% coverage event... there was a lot of moisture in the air, a thin haze so it was hard to tell how much of the dimming was from the eclipse. But there were no clouds, and people were treated to great views of the partial eclipse through telescopes equipped with sun filters, a telescope without a filter projecting onto a screen, a couple of different pinhole projectors, and of course the ubiquitous Eclipse Glasses... :D

Well I made a few phone calls this am and determined that Metropolis IL might be a good place for the quick flight. I was right. Small sleepy airport with about 15 other planes there. We touched down at 1pm after a 45 minute flight. Ate our lunch under the wing of the Toga and watched one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. The wife and kids were in awe. Words can't describe Totality. I received sincere thanks from the fam. 15 minutes later we took off for home.

IMG_3023.JPG

Well I made a few phone calls this am and determined that Metropolis IL might be a good place for the quick flight. I was right. Small sleepy airport with about 15 other planes there. We touched down at 1pm after a 45 minute flight. Ate our lunch under the wing of the Toga and watched one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. The wife and kids were in awe. Words can't describe Totality. I received sincere thanks from the fam. 15 minutes later we took off for home.
Cool! Glad you got to see it. :)

View attachment 55744
So jealous, had a similar flight planned and had to cancel due to t-storms and low clouds, no totality for me.

Since the plane I had reserved became unavailable due to a maintenance issue, the wife and I drove down to Greer SC to get inside totality. We both thought it was awesome and beautiful. I saw the 1979 eclipse in West Lafayette IN but there it was only about 75%. Absolutely no comparison. I'm just glad it was so close to us that traveling to see it was quick and easy. Didn't even have to deal with that much traffic. Already home and relaxing.

Triple Tree was fantastic! Over 500 people showed up the night before and many more arrived today.

The weather looked like it would be perfect but a scattered layer of cumulus started forming around noon as one would expect. The beginning of the eclipse had the sun poking in and out of the clouds, more out than in, but by the time of totality things had cooled off enough to shut down convection and it was blue skies for the peak moment.

Moments before totality the sun was reduced to an extremely bright pinpoint of light then darkness. At that instant, the glasses no longer worked and one could stare directly at it. The corona appeared along with some silhouetted tendrils extending beyond the moon's disk. Lots of amazement and joy in the crowd. Then we packed up and left as the rest of the eclipse proceeded. Foreplay, ecstasy, then we were done.

The Howard was there along with just about everything capable of landing on grass from a DC-3 to ultralights. I saw my first Pilatus Porter.

The folks at TT really know how to host an event. Quality all the way.

I took my son up to Copper Hill TN for a 1:45 or so total eclipse. The clouds threatened but cleared up entirely before the big event. We saw the whole thing from beginning to end. My (very jaded) 6 1/2 year old said it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen, which made it all worthwhile for me.

As it wound down, we walked over and had a nice chat with a group at one of the t-hangars, then spent a minute talking with the airport manager. Very nice people and a great trip.

Pretty good for a flight that barely qualified as a cross-country!

Perryville, MO (KPCD) did a great job. There were reportedly 139 aircraft. The sky was gorgeous for totality with clouds around but not overhead.

One minor issue with a runway excursion on departure by a Luscomb. Flipped in the grass but pilot was ok.

Just got back from Triple Tree.
Was an awsome experience. Despite my cheap nikon camera, I managed to get a shot of the corona.
The best part of it was sitting in the shade on the approach end of 3, and watching aircraft land, one about every 3 minutes, for a couple of hours. Th' Ol' Lady didn't know there were that many airplanes in the world. And here she was having a blast spotting them several miles
away, and trying to count them as they landed. After the first hour, she lost count at 50. And that was just after breakfast.

DSCN0970 (Copy).JPG DSCN0971 (Copy).JPG DSCN0978 (Copy).JPG DSCN0980 (Copy).JPG

I managed to find the one airport with a cloud directly overhead. We all knew it was going to happen... you could see it moving in juuuuuust as totality started. And nothing around for miles. Just overhead (KCSV, CrossfieldTN).

Still... It was pretty cool.

eclipse_kcsv.jpg

Yep, I just got home from Crossfield too. That cloud in the distance was gorgeous and as soon as totality was over it just disappeared. That was a fun event and enjoyed a nice tailwind home. Pretty cool when you can get up in the morning, fly to totality and be home before dark. Met some really nice people from Virginia, Philly, Buffalo, northern Michigan and Ontario.

Absolutely fantastic time today in Casper, WY. Arrivals were seamless (197 arrival aircraft!!!) - They really had the arrivals/parking well organized. Departures could have been a little more beautiful but it was fine. Kudos to Atlantic for hosting over a thousand people for viewing (including providing food!). I haven't uploaded any pics of the Eclipse yet, but my pre-departure picture had a couple extras strapped in the rear seats...

20953974_10154578994911086_128661737905107009_n.jpg

I'm guessing ATC may have been expecting it, there was a crunch of GA traffic after the eclipse. I listened to Greer then Charlotte get buried in requests for clearances and flight following. I heard pilots obviously experienced in flying the system but not experienced in local practices, request stuff they just weren't going to get. I just stayed VFR with eyes peeled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I managed to find the one airport with a cloud directly overhead. We all knew it was going to happen... you could see it moving in juuuuuust as totality started. And nothing around for miles. Just overhead (KCSV, CrossfieldTN).

Still... It was pretty cool.

View attachment 55753
Yea, at least you got the 360 degree sunset and the darkness.

Perryville, MO (KPCD) did a great job. There were reportedly 139 aircraft. The sky was gorgeous for totality with clouds around but not overhead.

I was going to go there, but our group switched to 2M0 on Saturday night just to be sure that we'd have clear skies... And we did. And the people at 2M0 did an excellent job as well. Nearly all of the planes were on pavement despite it being your average tiny-town airport ramp. They stacked 'em in about 3-4 deep on both sides of the ramp. They had glasses available, a local BBQ joint selling excellent food at very reasonable prices ($4 for a pulled pork sandwich), and the parking folks were friendly and efficient. Very well done.

Already planning on 2024!

My plan worked perfectly. Went to a tiny airfield 6J4, there was 6 airplanes and maybe 30 people total, the locals were awesome and we had a great time. The clouds parted about an hour prior, and we had a perfect view.

My ADSB-in was working overtime on the departure though. There were a lot of planes in the air.

View attachment 55753
That's what happened to us in Carbondale, too. Still pretty cool, though.

Last edited:
Back