Anyone flying to an airport in the 100% eclipse zone?

We're planning to go to CSV, Crossville, TN. The manager isn't worried about finding enough parking spots. Hope to get there early, hang out, eat lunch and watch all the airplanes depart before returning to Columbus. Time's like these, my paint job comes in real handy! We are planning to bring coolers and be self-sustaining - if they have food, it will likely sell out, etc.

Does Flight Service have a list of airports that are NOTAMED closed? This is an interesting flight to flight plan for. I am use to having all the public airports on my route available to me for deviation and able to get fuel at most. Planes are going to be flying in and unable to land because NOTAMED closed. Then getting low on fuel and having to land at a NOTAMED closed airport. I swear its gonna happen. I don't want it to happen to me, but I need all the info I can get ahead of time. Im planning to just fly there (1 1/2 hour flight), fly around for 1/2 hour during the eclipse, then fly back. I have 5 hours of fuel, not counting reserves. I can just feel it. This one is gonna be a possible problem.....
We were just talking about the same thing last night. Our plan is to have a backup location, and we're going to stop short and fill it to the brim prior to CSV for just that reason.

Between me and my passenger we called pretty much every airport within the area of totality in Oregon and Idaho, including a lot of the private ones. There are a lot of them that will be open, but most are expecting crowds. Several were taking reservations and a few were full. It sounds like most people are planning to fly in tomorrow and camp overnight, which is what I'm doing. If you're thinking of flying in monday morning I would definitely plan for an oshkosh like experience, and keep your eyes outside at all times. Sadly, I will not be surprised to see at least one article about a crash around the time of the eclipse due to people rushing, crowds, etc.

I was told earlier today that STJ was going to take airplanes, first come/first served, until parking was full, then close the airport.

As far as GA goes, this is working up to be maybe the most epic US-wide event in the history of ever.

I will be Anderson, SC on a business trip... 99.5 % coverage - while only flying commercial, timing for that business trip couldn't be better... :cool:

I will be Anderson, SC on a business trip... 99.5 % coverage - while only flying commercial, timing for that business trip couldn't be better... :cool:
Lucky! Do you have a rental car? Can you drive into the totality zone? I've seen 99, maybe 99.5%... clearly not the same thing!

I'm fortunate to be on the path of totality in mid-Missouri...no travel necessary, but they are expecting me to come to work...

We have a rental car but we are expected to work. :confused: During the eclipse we have a break which unfortunately is not long enough to drive into the 100% area. 99.5% is more than I would get if I were in Michigan... :)

We ARE in the 100% zone!!! :goofy::goofy::goofy:Just checked on my mobile's freshly installed Eclipse Map App. :) And we even get these eclipse glasses when we arrive on tomorrow... :D

Last edited:
Think I found a good airport to fly to. Called them up and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to think they'd have just a ton of traffic. I think I figured out why. If you use the zip code tool and put in the city of Cairo IL it says it's 99.9% coverage so it gets left off all the lists of places where totality will exist. Fortunately for me the Cairo airport is well north of town and according to the NASA interactive map will experience 43 seconds of total eclipse.

That'll be plenty for me:)

The carbondale airport kmdh is full. They are expecting 200+ people and are turning people away. Cape Girardeau is only about 40 miles away they might still have open spots

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We ARE in the 100% zone!!! :goofy::goofy::goofy:Just checked on my freshly installed Eclipse Map App. :) And we even get these eclipse glasses when we arrive on tomorrow... :D
Yay! :biggrin:

Edit: I just checked the eclipse path map at timeanddate.com, and it does indeed confirm that you're not only in the 100% zone, but you're pretty nearly dead center... 2:36 of totality.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I think our little Copperhill, TN airport - 1A3 - had about 10 people calling in about "reservations" about 3 days ago. Since we've handled in excess of 35 for a fly-in that should not be a problem. Probably still a good idea to call the airport manager if you plan on flying in.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm at our property at Big T airport - 80TN - in Lenoir City, Tennessee. Maybe a couple dozen people arriving starting later today, and the weather is looking good!

Excellent advice. Thanks. So a follow up question. Will nearly every small town airport be packed even on the edge of the totality band? From where I'm at I would look at places like CGI (cape girardeau) or M30 (metropolis). I would basically like to fly in around noon with the kids and maybe eat some lunch on on tarmac (at the plane) while it occurs. After totality depart and head home???

I'm sure there will be more traffic at these airports but will it be a mini Oshkosh everywhere?
Pretty much. KAIA just got approval,for a temp tower this week. KGUR tower only open M-F (Army helos) but decided it should open today ( Sunday ).

I wonder how many people flying to one of the airports along the way have not been to OSH and don't understand very large quantities of airplanes in close proximity to them in the air?

Ouchie. What'd you do? I missed it if you posted it. :(
I fell on it hiking, almost a month ago now. 'Twas stupid on my part. There was a place where a trail coming down Camels Hump turned into a stream for 100 yards or so. I was tired and not thinking straight, should have taken my boots off and waded it but tried hopping from rock to rock instead. One rock didn't have enough room for both of my feet and I slipped and crushed my right hand against a boulder. It's a "boxer's fracture" of the 5th metacarpal.

I had it x-rayed the same day but the first pictures didn't show a fracture. Second series last week did. My orthopod said that does happen sometimes, the fracture is so subtle it doesn't show at first. He recommended a cast instead of a brace but from his description of the cast, it would have made a lot of routine things impossible including writing with my right hand (fall semester starts in a week!) and getting my arm through the sleeve of most of my t-shirts and blouses, and likely the Army uniform profs here have to wear.

Very bad timing... was looking forward to this one for several years. :(

I also figure traffic (air and ground) will surely be somewhat relative to the population density in the surrounding areas. Most people wanting to travel are going to take the shortest route to get within the zone.

I'm planning to fly to Cairo IL. Not a large metro population anywhere SW of that region. The airport mgr didn't anticipate any significant issues but unless everyone is calling ahead he may be in for a surprise???

I also figure traffic (air and ground) will surely be somewhat relative to the population density in the surrounding areas. Most people wanting to travel are going to take the shortest route to get within the zone.

I'm planning to fly to Cairo IL. Not a large metro population anywhere SW of that region. The airport mgr didn't anticipate any significant issues but unless everyone is calling ahead he may be in for a surprise???
You might be in luck, but only because Cairo is right on the edge of the totality path so it's not as desirable a destination. According to timeanddate.com you'll have about 25 seconds of totality.

Any reason why you chose Cairo over Festus?

The carbondale airport kmdh is full. They are expecting 200+ people and are turning people away. Cape Girardeau is only about 40 miles away they might still have open spots

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I reserved a spot at MDH for the 310. The shop didn't finish my G4/GTX345 installation yet so someone can have my slot if they want. I'm not sure if they have a no swap policy. If you're interested you can call the FBO and if they agree it's whoever wants it first.

You might be in luck, but only because Cairo is right on the edge of the totality path so it's not as desirable a destination. According to timeanddate.com you'll have about 25 seconds of totality.

Any reason why you chose Cairo over Festus?

Not really. According to NASA interactive map Cairo (at airport will get around 45 seconds of totality). I chose it because it directly perpendicular from where I'll start and it'll be the shortest hop to take the kids over and get myself back to work early that afternoon.

Festus on foreflight says 2200 asphalt in poor condition. I know my Toga is fixed gear and 2200 is enough but idk. Not all that appealing. Are you familiar with festus or other small airports between St. Louis / Carbondale ?

I am fine with a more brief period of totality if it offers an easier in/out. My idea is to fly over around noon and depart shortly after Totality.

We get about 83% in S WI, that seems like enough for me, starts at 11:53. We are doing dog care for friends driving South.

I was reading tips on viewing & travel. Some notable ones are, 'no driving with eclipse viewing glasses', 'don't count on automatic headlights to turn on', 'watch for people wandering about the roadway'. Maybe it'll be like an episode of 'The Walking Dead'?

Not really. According to NASA interactive map Cairo (at airport will get around 45 seconds of totality). I chose it because it directly perpendicular from where I'll start and it'll be the shortest hop to take the kids over and get myself back to work early that afternoon.
Possibly 45 seconds. I know the field is north of town and it's impossible to zoom into the timeanddate.com map close enough to get good resolution, and the duration of totality falls off very sharply near the edge of the zone. You could probably bicycle into 1 minute of totality, if you brought a bike along.

Festus on foreflight says 2200 asphalt in poor condition. I know my Toga is fixed gear and 2200 is enough but idk. Not all that appealing. Are you familiar with festus or other small airports between St. Louis / Carbondale ?
Nope, never been down that way. I'm just reporting what the manager said. If you're not comfortable with poor asphalt then by all means, don't attempt it. But you could call the manager yourself to get the most recent lowdown - that's what I'd do myself if I was flying in, since on paper 2200 sounds a little tight in my Cardinal but doable unless there are obstacles or the pavement is REALLY bad.

We get about 83% in S WI, that seems like enough for me, starts at 11:53. We are doing dog care for friends driving South.

I was reading tips on viewing & travel. Some notable ones are, 'no driving with eclipse viewing glasses', 'don't count on automatic headlights to turn on', 'watch for people wandering about the roadway'. Maybe it'll be like an episode of 'The Walking Dead'?
Don't know about the Walking Dead, but unless your automatic headlights are really bad they'll turn on during totality. But why would anyone be driving then? Pull over and enjoy the rare event!

I'm not sure what I'll do. I wanted to watch from the ground, but after talking with another pilot seeing it from the air could be very cool and a unique point of view. I wonder if i'd be able to see the edges of the shadow from 10,000MSL?

Should have about 2.5 minutes totality in my front yard, so no need to fly anywhere. Forecast is for cloudy skies though.

I fell on it hiking, almost a month ago now. 'Twas stupid on my part. There was a place where a trail coming down Camels Hump turned into a stream for 100 yards or so. I was tired and not thinking straight, should have taken my boots off and waded it but tried hopping from rock to rock instead. One rock didn't have enough room for both of my feet and I slipped and crushed my right hand against a boulder. It's a "boxer's fracture" of the 5th metacarpal.

I had it x-rayed the same day but the first pictures didn't show a fracture. Second series last week did. My orthopod said that does happen sometimes, the fracture is so subtle it doesn't show at first. He recommended a cast instead of a brace but from his description of the cast, it would have made a lot of routine things impossible including writing with my right hand (fall semester starts in a week!) and getting my arm through the sleeve of most of my t-shirts and blouses, and likely the Army uniform profs here have to wear.

Very bad timing... was looking forward to this one for several years. :(
I hope it heals quickly.

Beatrice, NE has a temp tower ans a runway closed tomorrow (used for parking?).

Is there an "eclipse" frequency? Or should we just use the closest unicom freq?

Is there an "eclipse" frequency? Or should we just use the closest unicom freq?
Check NOTAMs for the airport(s) you are visiting and use the listed frequencies for them, otherwise the published frequencies. Or ask for flight following if you are concerned for other traffic.

I think 122.75 will work if wanting to chat while airborne about the eclipse.

I think I may be catching on to some discrepancies in the amount of time a person will see Totality, esp on those "edge" locations. Check out this screen shot of the eclipse path on a sectional. Using the zip code tools cape giradeau MO is anticipating 1m 45 sec of totality. Cairo IL is expecting 41 seconds of Totality making it a little less appealing.

However, the path is only 70 miles wide meaning a few miles makes a huge difference. Note on be image how Cape airport is south of town and Cairo is north of town... Using a couple different interactive maps I am pretty convinced the two airports will experience the same duration of Totality (around 45 seconds).

I know it's getting all technical but the details make a big difference.

Zip codes are central to town which is rarely where airports reside.

IMG_3011.PNG

Well, my plans to fly to Triple Tree were dashed due to the airplane I had booked being unavailable now due to maintenance. So the wife and I will be driving down to somewhere in SC just inside the totality zone. Not sure where yet. Hopefully the traffic will not be as bad as forecasted.

I think I may be catching on to some discrepancies in the amount of time a person will see Totality, esp on those "edge" locations. Check out this screen shot of the eclipse path on a sectional. Using the zip code tools cape giradeau MO is anticipating 1m 45 sec of totality. Cairo IL is expecting 41 seconds of Totality making it a little less appealing.
Not sure there is any discrepancy there. Cape G. is farther than Cairo from the southern limit of the totality zone, which actually stretches NW to SE. I'm not sure what your blue line corresponds to, but you have to think in terms of miles measured at right angles from the edge of the zone. Try timeanddate.com's eclipse path map: it shows the entire swath, with special shading for the full totality zone.

However, the path is only 70 miles wide meaning a few miles makes a huge difference. Note on be image how Cape airport is south of town and Cairo is north of town... Using a couple different interactive maps I am pretty convinced the two airports will experience the same duration of Totality (around 45 seconds).

I know it's getting all technical but the details make a big difference.
Not at all, you're absolutely right about the details. And yes, the *airports* may see about the same length of totality. As I wrote earlier, a few miles makes a big difference *especially* near the edge of the totality zone.

Zip codes are central to town which is rarely where airports reside.
Yep, that's why I prefer to use an interactive map such as the one at timeanddate.com.

Quick, someone write up the coordinates to plot the eclipse curve point by point across the USA!

Not sure there is any discrepancy there. Cape G. is farther than Cairo from the southern limit of the totality zone, which actually stretches NW to SE. I'm not sure what your blue line corresponds to, but you have to think in terms of miles measured at right angles from the edge of the zone. Try timeanddate.com's eclipse path map: it shows the entire swath, with special shading for the full totality zone.

Not at all, you're absolutely right about the details. And yes, the *airports* may see about the same length of totality. As I wrote earlier, a few miles makes a big difference *especially* near the edge of the totality zone.

Yep, that's why I prefer to use an interactive map such as the one at timeanddate.com.

I completely understand how the zone works. The entire gist of that last reply was relative to the airports only.

My point was: If you were looking for a place to fly and were going to view the eclipse from the airport that using the zip code website (what most are) to determine the view from the airports may not be the best idea. Via zip code only the two cities suggest significantly different Totality time periods. As noted on the interactive map that is certainly not the case.

Many of us flying will be on the Tarmac to witness this event so the location of the center of the city (zip code) won't mean squat.

Btw that's not my blue line. That's a screen shot from wmschartbundle.com

Back