Anyone flying to a Thanksgiving destination?

Redneckpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Redneckpilot
We are flying to KMQI for our regular Thanksgiving trip tomorrow (Wednesday) returning Sunday.

Where are the pilots of America going to consume Turkey and goodies this year?

We usually do "Jones Aero Services" for our Thanksgiving trip to Iowa, but we had a couple of iffy planning snafus in the past due to me not being IR current, so we decided to do the big mailing tube this year. :(

Was planning a a day trip for a beach Thanksgiving, but a frontal passage forecast for Thursday will likely result in staying at home instead.

Had planned to fly the RV-10 from Atlanta to New Braunfels Tx for the week, Catch SWMBO’s Aggies for a game on Saturday and return home afterwards. Weather patterns and forecasts changed those plans.

In case you were wondering, my derrière is still sore from the 15 hour drive.

We have a local to us guy that has a private strip and he usually has an "after Thanksgiving Day fly-in" (on Friday) but I haven't been able to confirm if it's on for this year ...

That doesn't answer the question asked though. Driving a few miles to a friends home where we expect a few dozen to show up and everyone bring something, kinda like it was reported to be when this thing started ...

I'm flying the RV-14 1280 nm tomorrow, back on Saturday. Weather is the main factor that will determine whether that is nautical miles or nanometers. Should I post my "AOG, who knows an A&P who will work on Thanksgiving in exchange for all the beer and goodies I brought for my family" question in this thread or a separate thread?

More seriously, I can afford flexibility both ways and the difference between flying myself and the best of the commercial flight options to be with my family for the holiday is pretty stark. To make my soft commitments on both ends of the trip, I can leave tomorrow morning and be there for supper through Saturday lunch. The commercial flight would require me to spend tomorrow night at a hotel to catch an early flight on Thanksgiving Day and arrive after midnight and then return on an early flight Saturday, being there only for Friday.

Here's hoping I can go VFR so I can listen to audiobooks instead of ATC. Safe travels to all, and happy Thanksgiving. :cool:

We are flying to KMQI for our regular Thanksgiving trip tomorrow (Wednesday) returning Sunday.

Where are the pilots of America going to consume Turkey and goodies this year?
We were going to be flying down to HSE to our place in Frisco but the plane is currently down so we get to make the 6 hour drive instead.

We were going to be flying down to HSE to our place in Frisco but the plane is currently down so we get to make the 6 hour drive instead.
Brad, do you keep ground transportation there? I know they have gotten persnickety about that.

We thought about flying. Then my kiddo came down with the local flu bug.

Brad, do you keep ground transportation there? I know they have gotten persnickety about that.
At the self storage place up from the Rod & Gun. We just stopped renting our place so we're gonna move our beater back into our driveway, which is walking distance from the airport.

We thought about flying. Then my kiddo came down with the local flu bug.

Apologies for the off topic, but the strand of flu that's in these parts has been pretty serious for the folks that have had it. So far I've been blessed to have missed it ...

I’ll be flying to KTEX, back on Friday. It’s only an hour flight at low power.

Flew the 182 to KOQN brandywine pa yesterday for Thanksgiving weekend with family.

The skies were very crowded ( relatively ) and 4 times I deviated from my route due to aircraft at my altitude and general location.

We're just going to be driving less than an hour to my son's mother-in-laws for the big dinner today. But for many years when my parents were alive we would fly the Mooney to Arlington, TX, loaded up with food, every
Thanksgiving. Good flying and family memories.

And that seals the deal, staying home today.
3bfb16ba85348fe6948f8a2e51cdec70.jpg

94K. Not too shocked that we're the only one in the tiedowns! Bolivar, MO was a nice stop for under $5/gal fuel.

Weather is not allowing us to go anywhere this long weekend

my brother in laws flight from South Carolina is diverting south of SAT then to west Texas then to DFW. Burning a lot of fuel for a 2 hour flight turned into 4 hours.

Looks like the decision has been made outside of our control: a blown tire just as the shop was closing for the holiday. :(

25 family members are coming to my house.

I'm flying the RV-14 1280 nm tomorrow, back on Saturday. Weather is the main factor that will determine whether that is nautical miles or nanometers. Should I post my "AOG, who knows an A&P who will work on Thanksgiving in exchange for all the beer and goodies I brought for my family" question in this thread or a separate thread?

More seriously, I can afford flexibility both ways and the difference between flying myself and the best of the commercial flight options to be with my family for the holiday is pretty stark. To make my soft commitments on both ends of the trip, I can leave tomorrow morning and be there for supper through Saturday lunch. The commercial flight would require me to spend tomorrow night at a hotel to catch an early flight on Thanksgiving Day and arrive after midnight and then return on an early flight Saturday, being there only for Friday.

Here's hoping I can go VFR so I can listen to audiobooks instead of ATC. Safe travels to all, and happy Thanksgiving. :cool:
I did the miles version of my trip as planned. Errands on the way down took longer than planned so I actually missed Wednesday supper, but I was with family Thursday, Friday, and Saturday until lunch. Then I diverted all over the planet and bucked headwinds all night. I think my 5.2-hour final leg was the longest time I’ve flown without stopping. Worth it. Hope y’all had a good holiday, too.

Back