Anyone Flown Alaska Airlines Lately?

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
We're considering flying to Anchorage in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. From St. Louis, I like Alaskan Airlines' options the best because they hub out of Seattle which splits it up into two (roughly) 3.5 hour flights. Other airlines hub thru ORD, MSP, or DFW and include a 6 to 7 hour second flight.

So, any PIREPS on Alaska?

Alaska airlines with a break in Seattle is the way to do it. 7hrs in an aluminum tube of despair is just too much.

Get out of anchorage ASAP. It's just a city. Kennicott and McCarthy are interesting if you have time, Talkeetna, Denali etc..lSeward is nice, if you're the hiking type a trip up to Harding ice field is fun. Depends on what you want to do and how much time you have.

I have flown AK many times over the years. No real complaints

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Flown 'em a total of once, from Portland to DFW. Markedly better than AA, FWIW.

---

Edit: I had the feeling the people did not hate their jobs. Good and friendly service.

Get out of anchorage ASAP.

We're actually going to Kenai, I have a buddy who has a cabin on the river that we're planning to stay at for a week if things work out. It's a lot cheaper to fly into Anchorage (like $400 per ticket)...and I assume it'll be a cool three hour drive through the mountains down to Kenai.

Thanks for the input guys.

AK Air every couple of weeks for me. They're an airline. Sometimes good, sometimes not. I'll easily pass 75K miles with them this year, which indicates I'm using United less. I prefer their flights for my route.

Fished the Kenai on Thursday. Fishing was slow. Not as slow as the drive. Lots of road construction will have you stopping for lane closures. Be patient and take in the views.

Flew one leg departing SEA last fall. One of the special early boarding groups was anyone wearing a Russell Wilson Seattle Seahawks jersey.

I non-revved on them about a year ago. Great gate agents and FAs. All were friendly and very accommodating.

I fly spam cans almost weekly now and they are towards the top of the list in my opinion.

I will take them over United, AA, Delta and US Air any day.

Flew Fairbanks to Portland, OR on Alaska about a year and a half ago. Very impressed, and I don't like flying.

We're considering flying to Anchorage in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. From St. Louis, I like Alaskan Airlines' options the best because they hub out of Seattle which splits it up into two (roughly) 3.5 hour flights. Other airlines hub thru ORD, MSP, or DFW and include a 6 to 7 hour second flight.

So, any PIREPS on Alaska?

Sounds familiar: Alaska Air, anniversary, a couple weeks, ...

The road to Kenai is a two lane road, mostly good. Expect delays for repair work on the road. Summer is the only time they have to work on the road and they take full advantage of it.

Lots of views, from the inlet to the distant mountains. Watch for moose, they like to pop up from out of sight and on the road.

Lots of really nice looking houses for sale along the way, don't get caught up and buy one...:lol:

I get to Kenai about once a month to shop and eat at a good restaurant.

And Alaska Airlines, my choice for traveling. You can tell which planes have been to the bush by the smell...

The road to Kenai is a two lane road, mostly good. Expect delays for repair work on the road.

Sounds just like N. Dakota, Montana & Wyoming when we took our 6 week road trip two years ago.

I get to Kenai about once a month to shop and eat at a good restaurant.

Well? Which ones are the good ones!?!?!?!?!?! :wink2:

Pray tell!!!!

We were on Alaska from SEA to PHX (and regional partner Horizon from PDX to SEA) just two nights ago, and we go home to PDX on Alaska tomorrow.

We love 'em. The agent at PDX helped us solve a problem Thursday evening. Our ticketed Horizon flight from PDX was delayed and we would have missed our Seattle connection, but she got us on an earlier flight so that we made it in time.

The B738 was bright and clean, with power ports at every seat. No meal served, but we had dinner at PDX before boarding anyway.

Sounds just like N. Dakota, Montana & Wyoming when we took our 6 week road trip two years ago.

Well? Which ones are the good ones!?!?!?!?!?! :wink2:

Pray tell!!!!

None of the Asian ones, that's for sure. And any restaurant not in Homer is a good one....:lol:

Acapolco Mexican Restaurant, next to Safeway if you are looking for the most authentic Mexican food you will find in Alaska... for seafood, Two Sisters Alaska seafood on the bridge access road. It is a small rural town in Alaska so things change daily... and don't expect 5 star service....:lol:

And thanks for the heads up. We will be driving through Montana and Wyoming in the first week of September.

I just got back from Alaska two weeks ago. Flew delta from stl to Denver to anchorage. It was pretty uneventful and did late flights for both to try to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying from Oakland to Kona on Wednesday on Alaska, I think it will be my first flight with this airline.

Only downside to Alaska is they do tend to suffer a bit more from cascading weather delays screwing up their schedule. Effects the west coast runs a bit, since a plane that is supposed to do a SE Alaska run early in the day is often delayed by the time it gets down the coast, which messes up all the connections. They generally do a good job recovering from it though.

Flew them to LAS and back last month. (Paid for tickets with my Alaska Air Visa, so no baggage charges.) Those of us who had no carry on luggage (other than my purse) got to board after First class, but before the rest of the unwashed masses. Kind of nice, no having to stand in the aisle while waiting for people to shove their oversized carry on into the bin.

Plane was clean and about as comfy as econo class can get. Food selection was decent. Except they forgot to load the fruit and cheese platter. Had to settle for the Tapas Picnic Pack.

chips%20and%20cognac_zpsjaorkjld.jpg

Alaska employees seem to be some of the happiest and most pleasant airline people around.

If you are stuck at Seatac for a hour or three, you can have a meal at Anthonys. Several many seats face the expanse of glass that looks out on the runways.

I don't remember what was in this drink, but I do remember that it was delicious. So I had two. or three. Fish tacos were delicious as well.

drinks%20at%20Anthonys_zps09dvszuv.jpg

And for the other three hours I had to wait (I could have rented a car and been home quicker....sigh), I grabbed a rocking chair at the window and finished my e-book.

window%20seat_zpsq3zkjcjc.jpg

I was commuting from Anchorage to Seattle monthly on Alaska and now I use them for EVERY trip if they go where I need to. They have their bad days but I think those are like other Air Lines good days....

Fly Alaska Air! Buy your bug spray at a drugstore in Anchorage before you leave town!

Alaska usually tops the list. The namesake airline is no surprise. I do miss Braniff, though.

We'll be in Kenai from Aug 2 thru Aug 8 and then in Anchoage from the 8th thru 10th. Any of you Alaska guys in that immediate area?

I have flown them exclusively lately, and they have been impeccable.

I'm a member of two airline frequent flyer programs. UA and AS. I don't ride AS too often as they don't go to the places I typically go. SIN, TPE, DRS and MXP are a bit out of their network. And when we went to Kauai last month UA was less expensive, even before considering that I don't pay to check bags on UA and do on AS. AS would have been nice if they had been competitive cost wise as they have a nonstop from SEA to LIH. On UA we had connections in SFO going and coming.

AS is a good airline. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Just flew on Alaska but was surprised they charge you for entertainment, if you pay they hand you a tablet, on Delta they really had very nice system with large ultra sharp screen built into the seat and it is all free (except for some selected movies).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back