Anyone encounter any unusual ATC delays yesterday or today?

And he's just an ass. Don't forget that.

Even though I argue with Steve I'll disagree. Steve is proud of his knowledge and finds it difficult to admit he is wrong. That's pretty common and I'm guilty of it myself. No big deal. We all get our comeuppance from time to time.

Even though I argue with Steve I'll disagree. Steve is proud of his knowledge and finds it difficult to admit he is wrong. That's pretty common and I'm guilty of it myself. No big deal. We all get our comeuppance from time to time.

Speak for yourself duck boy! :D

Steven sometimes isn't the most tactful at correcting people. I must say though, besides not knowing anything about Procedure Turn requirements, he's pretty darn knowledgable about ATC matters.

+1...

Steven sometimes isn't the most tactful at correcting people. I must say though, besides not knowing anything about Procedure Turn requirements, he's pretty darn knowledgable about ATC matters.

He's an ATC IIRC. I've never seen him say a nice thing about anything or anyone.

Guys, lets knock off the personal stuff. We're all friends here - the name calling has no place, no matter how annoying someone may seem to you.

Thanks....

Not to disagree with you Bill but perhaps David was just describing Steve's most prominent anatomical feature?

If I get denied, I'll simply respond with "I took a pay cut much larger than yours a few years ago, it didn't stop me from doing my job"

:rofl::rofl:

Now that was funny! I'm gonna steal that one!

:D

Last edited:
He's an ATC IIRC. I've never seen him say a nice thing about anything or anyone.

Correct, but believe me there are plenty who get into ATC and really don't know much about regulations or procedures like Steven. ATC is like most jobs. You have those who just get by and those who thrive on knowing as much about their craft as possible. Then you have facility management and if you got rid of half of them you wouldn't have a sequestration problem to begin with. :D

Then you have facility management and if you got rid of half of them you wouldn't have a sequestration problem to begin with. :D

I have a suspicion that a disproportionately small percentage of management people have been affected by the sequestration.

The FAA boss today said 47,000 controllers will be furloughed 11 days this year for a cost savings of $650mil.

That's a lot of hours!

The FAA boss today said 47,000 controllers will be furloughed 11 days this year for a cost savings of $650mil.

That's a lot of hours!

Yep, at least they get to keep their jobs though. While my brother isn't happy about losing $700-$800 each month, he feels fortunate that he's not a class D guy waiting for a pink slip. :(

Happens often in Wyoming. From high altitude you can hear airplanes going into KJAC on the same frequency but ATC is garbled. But when they talk to us on a different transmitter (we are usually further east) they are loud and clear.

Agreed 100 %..:yes:

Dude it was united, that's why.

Actually it was likely sequester , United wants any ATC delays specifically blamed on the FAA sequester when it comes time to tell the folks in the back . KSAT almost never has any flow issues .

If ATC says unable, is there anything prohibiting you from repeatedly asking every minute or so?

Should teach 'em a lesson.

Nobody's addressed this question. While it's not at all productive, I'm curious what the PD would be for it, or if they could do one at all.

I doubt if it would actually teach them a lesson, though.

Here's another question: I see UPS just got slapped with a $4 million civil penalty. Does that go to the FAA budget? Do we think we'll see more civil penalties issued just like cops have their ticket quotas?

Furloughing controllers is like furloughing baseball players. The game is designed for nine - it's hard to look at left field and right field and say "cover the middle".

Nobody's addressed this question. While it's not at all productive, I'm curious what the PD would be for it, or if they could do one at all.

I'd rather a controller tell me unable than ask six times. Six. I hope that doesn't become common practice.

Furloughing controllers is like furloughing baseball players. The game is designed for nine - it's hard to look at left field and right field and say "cover the middle".

That's not entirely true. Fly through large parts of the country and you'll find sectors where the controllers are twiddling their thumbs. There are definitely areas that can benefit from reorganization.

Here's another question: I see UPS just got slapped with a $4 million civil penalty. Does that go to the FAA budget? Do we think we'll see more civil penalties issued just like cops have their ticket quotas?

That's a chilling thought.

That's not entirely true. Fly through large parts of the country and you'll find sectors where the controllers are twiddling their thumbs. There are definitely areas that can benefit from reorganization.

I agree that sectors often appear slow, but to combine them often creates much more workload then they are off on their own. The automation doesn't always handle combining well in addition to the coupling of frequencies and handling all of the landline calls.

Normally when a slow sector is put on a busy sector, the controller has a tendency to only scan the busy one - that's when stuff happens in the slow one (Murphy and all).

It depends, if it goes something like this:

N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 10 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: Aircraft calling, unable.

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 12 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 13 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, I have already said I am unable.
N12345: Roger.

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 15 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, stop calling me.

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 17 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, I said to stop calling me

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 20 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: ...
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 20 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, squawk 1234, maintain own navigation.

I see your point, but I think this is where we require a better system, or saying "Tough, deal with it." The rest of the world has had to do more with less.

It depends, if it goes something like this:

N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 10 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 12 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 13 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, I have already said I am unable.

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 15 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, stop calling me.

2 minutes later:
N12345: Center, N12345, 8,500, 17 south of ABC, request flight following to KXYZ
Center: N12345, I said to stop calling me

2 minutes later:
Center: N12345, squawk 1234, maintain own navigation.

Nah, do it with different tail numbers.

Same voice different tail numbers. Or same tail number, different voices.

Actually, I've never found it difficult to admit when I'm wrong.

Where can these "procedure turn requirements" be found?

If ATC says unable, is there anything prohibiting you from repeatedly asking every minute or so?

Should teach 'em a lesson.

If a controller tells you not to call back, are you required to comply because of 91.123(b)? :stirpot:

Odd, then, that you raised the subject again.

Not really. Just don't have the time to give an answer that was already given a million times by myself and every IFR pilot on POA. If you want the answer go back to the thread.

Not really. Just don't have the time to give an answer that was already given a million times by myself and every IFR pilot on POA. If you want the answer go back to the thread.

As I recall, nobody was able to cite a regulatory requirement for a procedure turn when a course reversal was not required.

So Steven, could you answer the question about what would the potential repercussions be of asking a controller for flight following repeatedly after he said unable?

Actually, I've never found it difficult to admit when I'm wrong.

I accept your correction. I should have written that you find it impossible to admit when you're wrong. Sorry 'bout that.

Back