Anyone encounter any unusual ATC delays yesterday or today?

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Given the reporting on the sequester causing the FAA to reduce staffing and require furlough days?

My United flight out of San Antonio was a hour late yesterday. They blamed it on the sequester.

ABQ refused to give me flight following around 11pm last night. I called six times and finally he got back to me "VFR who wants flight following I'm unable" sounded like I was ruining his night by inconveniencing him. I'm hoping he was on two frequencies, because his one sure wasn't busy on the one I was on. PHX approach was as accommodating as ever yesterday, two bravo transitions. I knew I should have gone IFR but I didn't want to go through the mountains on the airways at night. Oh well.

I think on top of the delays you'll see a reduction in all around services. Furloughs have started at my brothers facility and he says they were minimum manned before the sequester. They can't take leave, if someone is sick on a mid shift approach closes, training for new hires put on hold, positions combined thereby reducing things like FF during high traffic, no more Surveilance Approaches. On top of all that he estimates he's losing around $800 per month because of furloughs. So yeah, services are going to be reduced and they probably won't be in the best mood when you check in.

Got a very late VTF yesterday on a practice approach after prodding the controller a few times.

Crock. A total crock.

Crock. A total crock.

Oh I agree - I just wanted to see what the scoop is -

Going to have b-fast @ F70 in the am - and will be interested to see if I can get advisories through the ONT C as always out of POC.

Sunday I requested and was refused VFR flight following by Denver approach. This was the first time that this has happened to me and the frequency was unusually quiet..

ABQ refused to give me flight following around 11pm last night. I called six times and finally he got back to me "VFR who wants flight following I'm unable" sounded like I was ruining his night by inconveniencing him. I'm hoping he was on two frequencies, because his one sure wasn't busy on the one I was on.

However many frequencies he was using you'd have heard all of his transmissions on the one you were using.

However many frequencies he was using you'd have heard all of his transmissions on the one you were using.

??? It depends on which transmitters he/she/it has selected.

They have to select the transmitters they're using everywhere. No difference.

LOL. Dunno 'bout where you've been but if they haven't selected the right transmitter then you don't hear them until they want you to. Experienced it many times across southeastern Colorado and panhandle Texas with Albuquerque center. Sorry if that doesn't fit your world view.

LOL. Dunno 'bout where you've been but if they haven't selected the right transmitter then you don't hear them until they want you to. Experienced it many times across southeastern Colorado and panhandle Texas with Albuquerque center. Sorry if that doesn't fit your world view.

I suggest you go to bed and try that response again in the morning.

I suggest you go to bed and try that response again in the morning.

Fine. I'll copy and paste to post again tomorrow if that'll help you. Alternatively, you could just read it again in the morning and perhaps then you'll comprehend. As I said, sorry if the information presented doesn't fit your world view.

Well, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. So he was just being an asshat.

Sunday I requested and was refused VFR flight following by Denver approach. This was the first time that this has happened to me and the frequency was unusually quiet..

I was about 30 min behind JJ and had no problems with FF but I started with KC then they handed me over to Denver.

Fine. I'll copy and paste to post again tomorrow if that'll help you. Alternatively, you could just read it again in the morning and perhaps then you'll comprehend. As I said, sorry if the information presented doesn't fit your world view.

....:D

I live close to APA and DIA, and listen to Denver in the evenings. I'll hear Denver transmit on 132.75 but won't hear the response unless I change to 128.25.

I live close to APA and DIA, and listen to Denver in the evenings. I'll hear Denver transmit on 132.75 but won't hear the response unless I change to 128.25.

There is no doubt that ATC transmits on many frequencies. I am not arguing that at all. When a large area has just one frequency then which transmitter is selected becomes important. Roncachamp doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept.

When i flew up here half the time I would hear ATC and half the time I wouldn't - I would just hear the reply from the airliner at 30,000'. Whenever they wanted to talk to me they were crystal clear. Clark is right.

It doesn't fit the world view of anyone familiar with the subject.

FWIW it does seem that it's hit or miss here whether or not a controller will transmit on all the frequencies they're working. I've seen them doing it both ways.

Happens often in Wyoming. From high altitude you can hear airplanes going into KJAC on the same frequency but ATC is garbled. But when they talk to us on a different transmitter (we are usually further east) they are loud and clear.

I'm sure you can speak for everyone familiar with the subject. I bow to your assumed expertise and your relentless logic. May your pursuits in this arena alway be blessed with the great goodness of the all. Praise be to all. My real life experience obviously is meaningless in light of your much greater understanding of what must be.

I'm sure you can speak for everyone familiar with the subject. I bow to your assumed expertise and your relentless logic. May your pursuits in this arena alway be blessed with the great goodness of the all. Praise be to all. My real life experience obviously is meaningless in light of your much greater understanding of what must be.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, roncachamp went my ignore list a long, long time ago.
No doubt he has great knowledge in some areas that would be useful, but there's no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

No doubt he has great knowledge in some areas that would be useful, but there's no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

IMO you're missing out on the best thing on this board. For every post of his you don't read, I'll read em twice. :D

And he's just an ass. Don't forget that.

I am wondering how much this is going to hurt those trying to get their IR and CFII ratings.

David

Not sure why the confusion with freqs. ATC transmits on all freqs but they can select a different transmitter for a certain freq. That's not just a west coast thing either. I've had ZJX or ATL select a different transmitter because I couldn't hear them in primary. "How do you hear this transmitter?" Also when you hear an aircraft reply on your freq without hearing ATC isn't necessarily a different transmitter. It could possibly be "cross coupling" with the aircraft transmitting on a different freq that automatically gets sent through yours. At any rate there could be multiple reasons for ARTCC not replying for FF. A lot of times the aircraft is simply too low for reception.

If ATC says unable, is there anything prohibiting you from repeatedly asking every minute or so?

Should teach 'em a lesson.

If I get denied, I'll simply respond with "I took a pay cut much larger than yours a few years ago, it didn't stop me from doing my job"

Back