Anyone drive a Ford pickup with a 2.7 V-6?

<in reply to Acroduster>

But can it negotiate the Burger King drive through?
URgNdpQ.jpg

That may be true as well, it's easy to disable if someone doesn't like it.

I wish there was a way to disable it permanently in the settings. Every rental in Europe has this.

Theres no replacement for displacement.

Not legal to disable it permanently unfortunately.
No, but I heard a rumor from a guy on the Internet that you can plug in a trailer pigtail to the trailer plug in and it thinks it's towing and won't shut off. But, it's a rumor or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

May be true but that sure isn't the way things are going in the US

Vettes are still packing some heat, my C6 is a 6.2

Toyota still has their 4.0 V6s

:D:p Don't tempt King James

The fuel doesn't care how you get enough air to it to burn it. You end up with a torque/rpm curve. With forced induction and variable vane turborchargers, you can make this curve look any way you please.

Last edited:
Vettes are still packing some heat, my C6 is a 6.2

Toyota still has their 4.0 V6s

Love the new Corvettes...I'm not what you would call a Chevy guy but my first choice for a sports car would be a Corvette.

Not a huge fan of the C7, the C1,3,5 and 6 I like.

Really one heck of a car, easy to work on, mine will toast most anything on the street, but I can put her in 6th, 80mph and cruise at 30mpg, winning :)

I like the C6 and C7...I always thought the stock C5 was fugly...if done right they look nice though.

Honestly if I hadn't bought this McLaren 570S I would have bought the Vette

I drove both the 2.7EB and 3.5EB recently (2016 model year), and was way more impressed with the 2.7. That's after insisting that I'd never consider the 2.7. You'll likely get better unloaded fuel economy with the 2.7, and the towing capacity numbers aren't bad. If I was routinely towing more than the 2.7 could handle, I'd probably want a larger truck.

With that said, I've seen some reports of EB engines literally shredding themselves at or before 100k miles, and it appears that Ford will opt for the cheapest fix to get you out of the warranty period. With that said, it has been my experience over the years that a vehicle warranty is only as good as the dealer who supports it. Most dealers leave a lot to be desired, though I suspect that N747JB is not one of them.

JKG

Last edited:
Something that no one mentioned yet, is looking at the towing book for whatever model you like. There may not be a way to properly equip it for the planned trailer useage.
I just went thru this trying to find a truck to pull my equipment trailer at max weight. Only option for anything less than a 1 ton was certain year Fords with some pretty significant special options. Ended up with a F350 crew cab, dually 4x4, long bed with the 6.0 diesel, as I wanted to stay away from a vehicle with a DEF system. It took me 3 months to find one that was equiped like I wanted and wasn't priced sky high.

I test drove a crew cab Lariat with all the bells and whistles and the 2.7 eco boost yesterday. I've decided on which truck I want now.

All I can say is for such a little engine it has more than enough horsepower. I was on the interstate at 50 mph, punched the gas and the wheels chirped. Now I'm just in the haggle crap with the dealer. John, I wish you were closer. I'll pm you the price if you can tell me if I'm getting ripped off or not.

But for how long, that's a tiny little mill to be producing that power

I test drove a crew cab Lariat with all the bells and whistles and the 2.7 eco boost yesterday. I've decided on which truck I want now.

All I can say is for such a little engine it has more than enough horsepower. I was on the interstate at 50 mph, punched the gas and the wheels chirped. Now I'm just in the haggle crap with the dealer. John, I wish you were closer. I'll pm you the price if you can tell me if I'm getting ripped off or not.

Good choice!

Bwah no it isn't. 120hp/litre is nothing. Engines producing 150hp/l go 300k miles easily.

A 300hp 2.0 that'll go 300k before a rebuild (or three)... Name one

STI is a 2.5 at about 300hp and you don't see many hitting 300,000 miles on the same mill

But for how long, that's a tiny little mill to be producing that power

Long enough for most buyers. There are quite a few 3.5s out there with over 100k miles on them. I think that 2011 was the first model year for the EcoBoost in the F150. Two out of the three F150 engine options are now EcoBoost. Doubtful they'd risk putting junk engines in their flagship product.

I think there is some justified concern about long-term maintenance costs with the more complex EB engines, but I suspect that most original buyers won't keep the vehicle long enough to encounter that concern. John may be able to comment on what he sees for long-term reliability with the 3.5EB.

JKG

Last edited:
A 300hp 2.0 that'll go 300k before a rebuild (or three)... Name one

STI is a 2.5 at about 300hp and you don't see many hitting 300,000 miles on the same mill

Golf7R, Audi S3 8V will do that easy. 8P S3/Golf6R already have hit that and they do 135hp/l.
I've built a few CDLA engines that are now in 200+k with 200hp/l without opening them (and they get raced - hard).
I had a Mk6GTI with 360hp and it did ~50k on my dyno flat out without any problems.
At 300k, the internals are in like new condition. Turbo likely needs a refurb though, usually sometime between 200 and 300k miles. Modern engines and lubricants are pretty darn good.
STI engines are crap. Only Scooby fanboys think their engines are something special.

Easy killer, don't be knocking the STI, in the north those are basically snow vettes, not much else can handle our conditions like a subie.

I lived in a climate where 4x4 was pretty much a requirement for 25 years. Then I came to my senses and moved out. That's why I don't need a Subaru :)
My anti-Subaru mentality comes from dealing with Subaru fanboys for a few years for work. Never again.
And their engines really are crap. Even though they do OK in the snow.

I drive 4x4s, tacos to TJs, but when it come to snow road performance, subies are it.

I lived in a climate where 4x4 was pretty much a requirement for 25 years. Then I came to my senses and moved out. That's why I don't need a Subaru :)
My anti-Subaru mentality comes from dealing with Subaru fanboys for a few years for work. Never again.
And their engines really are crap. Even though they do OK in the snow.

I would sadly have to agree. I had a friend with a brand new 2014 WRX STI...it was a total POS. He had it when we were in college in Northern AZ...needed it for the snow (and yes we actually can get a lot of snow in northern AZ for those doubting). I like STIs but I can't say I'd own one. He is a die hard track guy with his dad. He did all sorts of crap to it...tune, intake, whatever it is car guys do (I am not a car guy honestly...I'm a motorcycle and airplane guy).

And good god your right about Subaru fan boys...I used to give my buddy so much **** over it lol.

Anyways after he graduated and moved back down to Phoenix he sold that piece and bought a C5 Corvette...already had to put a new motor in that but he tracks it and it gets beat and holds up way better. His dad has a C6 fully gutted caged race car...it's pretty awesome...needless to say they have a lot of money.

I like my Subies but they are gutless wonders. I swear I could outrun them in a 100 yard dash. But they both average 26 MPG in town at 6500 feet with the alcohol laden fuel.

My 2011 Legacy came to me as a total loss. Put it back together with junkyard.....I mean salvage yard parts, and drove it to Alaska and back. But the Alaska/Canadian highway sure took all the life out of the suspension.

I like my Subies but they are gutless wonders. I swear I could outrun them in a 100 yard dash. But they both average 26 MPG in town at 6500 feet with the alcohol laden fuel.

My 2011 Legacy came to me as a total loss. Put it back together with junkyard.....I mean salvage yard parts, and drove it to Alaska and back. But the Alaska/Canadian highway sure took all the life out of the suspension.

I'll have to reclarify my Scooby hate. It is entirely pointed at the STI models. I actually like Legacys.

My mom has a Legacy (work car)...it's pretty decent

Long enough for most buyers. There are quite a few 3.5s out there with over 100k miles on them. I think that 2011 was the first model year for the EcoBoost in the F150. Two out of the three F150 engine options are now EcoBoost. Doubtful they'd risk putting junk engines in their flagship product.

I think there is some justified concern about long-term maintenance costs with the more complex EB engines, but I suspect that most original buyers won't keep the vehicle long enough to encounter that concern. John may be able to comment on what he sees for long-term reliability with the 3.5EB.

JKG
It's been pretty good so far, we have quite a few that we've sold and serviced that are well over 100K miles, not a lot of issues, certainly no more than any other engine. Any turbo engine needs proper maintenance, I feel sure that if someone doesn't take care of them they won't last, like most engines. Regular oil and air filter changes are your friend! :D

Leave my Legacy alone. I drive by the jokers spun out in the medians all winter long. Wasn't this thread about a truck???

It's been pretty good so far, we have quite a few that we've sold and serviced that are well over 100K miles, not a lot of issues, certainly no more than any other engine. Any turbo engine needs proper maintenance, I feel sure that if someone doesn't take care of them they won't last, like most engines. Regular oil and air filter changes are your friend! :D

And there is the problem. The people that will have problem with this engine, or pretty much any engine only understand, key goes here, fuel goes here, drive heck out of it and nothing else.

And there is the problem. The people that will have problem with this engine, or pretty much any engine only understand, key goes here, fuel goes here, drive heck out of it and nothing else.

Exactly.

And by the way, its been 10 years since I looked at the new technology in vehicles. I was actually impressed with the things they have thought up that are useful. For example: in this truck I drove, it has the normal windshield washing cycle where fluid is sprayed along with three wipes of the wipers THEN after 4 seconds they wipe again to get that little stream that always comes down from the top.

Back