Anyone drive a Ford pickup with a 2.7 V-6?

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
My wife wants my ten year old Duramax Sierra to pull her horse trailer around. I'm looking for a new truck. My choices are the Silverado and the Lariat. Just wondering how zippy that 2.7 Eco-boost really is.

I don't have the 2.7, but have the 3.5 EcoBoost and it's a great engine. 2014 F150 that I bought in 2015 (it was a leftover)

Tows my camper very well (not that you were asking about towing), the turbo is strong, and I get decent mpg for a truck.

I'm looking at a 2016 Lariat. I have a 10' enclosed trailer that I'll tow every now and then.

I'm sure the 2.7L EB would be fine for a regular cab short-bed truck, or a Ranger for sure. I wouldn't buy a Lariat with anything less than the 5.0L or 3.5L EB, if only for re-sale value alone. You have to keep in mind it's still a 2.5Ton truck.

For 2017 Silverado trucks it looks like they expanded the option of the 6.2L into lesser trim and cab configurations. That is a beast of an engine and gets really good gas mileage. The ecoboost trucks are powerful, but I can't stand the way they sound.

Those are crap. Get something with some flat fenders and a soft top!

kaiserjeep-m715_903a3.jpg

I'll still have the 4x4 GMC beast plus we have a Jeep Wrangler for just playing around in the mountain trails. I don't need the power or the 4WD in what I'm looking for now, heck I'm even downgrading to 2WD for this new one. I've read a lot of reviews and watched several YouTube videos of the twin turbo 2.7 and although I was skeptical at first, I'm convinced that the 2.7 has all the power I need for the daily commute and the occasional tow. What I really want is the air conditioned seats.

Half ton pickups are just one powder puff away from being a ladies dressing room......:D

Keep in mind I live in New Mexico where pickups are not used like cars. Think mountains, 75 to 80 MPH interstate speed limits and where distances between towns are measured in hours, not miles.

It seems like 9 out of 10 folks I talk to that has a Eco-Boost Ford wish they had bought something, anything else. Their disappointment is with either lack of power or lack of (advertised) gas mileage, or both. The altitude here is 6500 feet so the turbo will be, or at least should be singing loudly.

As I said, remember I live in an area where trucks are used for what they were built for. And I have never bought a truck just for its advertised fuel mileage.

It's a pretty standard complaint that the ecoboost delivers eco or boost but not both. Most of the V8 competition gets better real world fuel mileage. I saw a test somewhere that a magazine did with the 5.0 vs. the 2.7. The fuel economy was basically a wash between the two. My uncle has a 3.5 EB and loves the power but complains about the poor gas mileage.

As I said, I'm keeping my GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab if I have to enter any measuring contests. ;)
If you are looking for a gas maximizer for occasional towing the new Colorado/Canyon with the duramax is hard to beat.

I watched a side by side comparison between the 2.7 EB and the 3.5EB where both trucks were towing about the same amount of weight up some mountain in Colorado. The 2.7 won both with power and fuel mileage.

If you are looking for a gas maximizer for occasional towing the new Colorado/Canyon with the duramax is hard to beat.

Now we're going off into the weeds. One diesel is enough for this household. Plus, I didn't like the way the Colorado interior looks and I'd rather have a full size pickup having owned a Ranger three trucks ago.

<in reply to Acroduster>

But can it negotiate the Burger King drive through?

Now we're going off into the weeds. One diesel is enough for this household. Plus, I didn't like the way the Colorado interior looks and I'd rather have a full size pickup having owned a Ranger three trucks ago.
A ranger is a far cry from what the new midsized trucks are. A guy at work has a gas Colorado and its every bit as roomy as my 98 Silverado.

I have a 2014 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5L. It really is an incredible motor. My brother and a friend of mine both have 2016s, but not sure which Ecoboost they have. I had two F-150's prior to this with 5.4L V8s. These Ecoboosts blow any V8 out of the water that I have ever driven (Chevy included). Towing is great, fuel mileage is great. I never understood why people always hated on Fords. I am still shocked by how quick my F-150 is (not that is really matters in a truck). Towing is awesome...I call it the mini diesel because it lugs around town and up hills (towing included) at 2000 RPM. It is awesome...

I really am not a Ford vs. Chevy person...I have driven them all at some point..Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc. Love the Toyota's as well (pricey though). The Dodge's are nice trucks. The new Chevy trucks seem to be a nice upgrade to what they used to be in terms of interior, but I really don't find their motors to be all that impressive.

The new Nissan Titan...omg that is the most hideous truck I have ever seen.

Last edited:
It's a pretty standard complaint that the ecoboost delivers eco or boost but not both. Most of the V8 competition gets better real world fuel mileage. I saw a test somewhere that a magazine did with the 5.0 vs. the 2.7. The fuel economy was basically a wash between the two. My uncle has a 3.5 EB and loves the power but complains about the poor gas mileage.
It is pretty simple to work out. you can have a smaller engine that is working much harder all the time and making power at higher rip'ums or you can have a bigger engine making more power at lower rip'ums that doesn't have to work very hard. They equate to about the same.
My parents have a corvette, they get awesome gas mileage, around 35 on the interstate because they have a light car, big engine. They are only turning 1200 rip'ums while going 80 mph.
Outo manufacturers are stuck right now, ever notice how all the new cars look the same. Same shape, same styling, same engines etc etc. In order to meet the regs on gas mileage and emissions, they are literally stuck in their basic designs or they don't meet the regs. Caterpillar got out of the small diesel business because it was too hard to make emissions work with diesel. They could do it but it is only going to get worse so they said, to heck with it.

A ranger is a far cry from what the new midsized trucks are. A guy at work has a gas Colorado and its every bit as roomy as my 98 Silverado.

I traded my '99 Silverado on the GMC Duramax. That 5.3 liter didn't pull a toy hauler very well but it was a really nice truck and I didn't want to give it up. Prettiest body style made in my opinion.

For 2017 Silverado trucks it looks like they expanded the option of the 6.2L into lesser trim and cab configurations. That is a beast of an engine and gets really good gas mileage. The ecoboost trucks are powerful, but I can't stand the way they sound.
Why would he get a Chevy? I didnt see anywhere where he said he wanted to walk.

But yea if you want a loud exhaust on your truck the ecoboost is not the truck for you...although I'd be more concerned with how it tows and functions over the sound. I think hearing the turbos spool up is cool enough

I have the 2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax and parked nose to nose with a GMC the other day, I figured it was the Canyon as it looked like the same size. Turns out it was the Sierra. For my needs I would have really preferred a "small" diesel pickup. Oh well, not complaining about the 27 MPG on my usual city/highway loop.

I don't get the point of a tiny superboosted gasoline engine in a full size pickup truck. Shirley a small but not quite that small diesel would be a lot more efficient.

I don't get the point of a tiny superboosted gasoline engine in a full size pickup truck. Shirley a small but not quite that small diesel would be a lot more efficient.
It would from a truck stand point but many of the "half ton" trucks are soccer mom and dads daily drivers. They don't like the noisy, smelly diesels(their words not mine)

It would from a truck stand point but many of the "half ton" trucks are soccer mom and dads daily drivers. They don't like the noisy, smelly diesels(their words not mine)

The Colorado surprised me in a good way. With all the emissions control and sound proofing it's really just barely noticeable as a diesel. It only sounds like one at idle or low speeds and the only significant performance change is really just adjusting to the turbo lag which I'd assume was similar to an EcoBoost, the automatic transmission hides the differing power band and shift points fairly well.

Edit: Of course, this time I suspect VW screwed diesels in the US for even more years, oh well.

Last edited:
The Colorado surprised me in a good way. With all the emissions control and sound proofing it's really just barely noticeable as a diesel. It only sounds like one at idle or low speeds and the only significant performance change is really just adjusting to the turbo lag which I'd assume was similar to an EcoBoost, the automatic transmission hides the differing power band and shift points fairly well.

Edit: Of course, this time I suspect VW screwed diesels in the US for even more years, oh well.
I test drove some Chrysler products a few years back and a couple were diesel, they were terrible. I can understand not wanting one for a daily driver. My father, who spent much of his time over seas says that the diesels in Europe were great, said if you didn't have to fil it up you wouldn't even know it was a diesel.

I have asked the same question...I'm not really sure other than diesels are more expensive to manufacturer (hence the price of the RAM 1500 with the diesel in it). I would suspect there is a big reason as to why they went that route though.

I will tell you this though...go drive a V8 and then drive an Ecoboost...it blows the doors off the V8. Not to mention they are getting the same amount of torque out of it as the Dodge EcoDiesel. Gas mileage is better with the EcoDiesel though (although real world numbers are very close within 1-2mpg)

I have asked the same question...I'm not really sure other than diesels are more expensive to manufacturer (hence the price of the RAM 1500 with the diesel in it). I would suspect there is a big reason as to why they went that route though.

I will tell you this though...go drive a V8 and then drive an Ecoboost...it blows the doors off the V8. Not to mention they are getting the same amount of torque out of it as the Dodge EcoDiesel. Gas mileage is better with the EcoDiesel though (although real world numbers are very close within 1-2mpg)

Every V8 except the GM 6.2L. The 6.2 is still the truck engine king when it comes to towing and power. Most magazines report getting better mileage in the 6.2 too.

As a Ford dealer, I will say the 2.7 has been a great engine so far, good gas mileage, good power and reliable. Like any turbocharged vehicle, if you drive it like you stole it, the mileage will suffer. For daily commuting and pulling a 3-4000 lb trailer it's great. One customer used to send me pictures of his gas mileage display and tell me how much he loved it. If you are looking at 16's they have a ton of incentives on them as the 17's are starting to hit the ground. The only thing that is a little quirky is the automatic shutoff when you are at a stop light it turns the engine off. :eek: It's easy enough to disable, just push a button, but that is supposed to help improve mileage. :rolleyes:

Every V8 except the GM 6.2L. The 6.2 is still the truck engine king when it comes to towing and power. Most magazines report getting better mileage in the 6.2 too.

Really? Which magazines? I've seen testing results go both ways from both bigger magazines (Car and Driver, Off-road magazine, etc) to smaller shops. Some of this testing was done early 2014 while others were early to mid 2016. I have yet to see any testing that shows one blowing one out of the water. I've seen some that say the 6.2L edges out the Ecoboost in certain areas of towing and the Ecoboost edging the 6.2L in others. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot honestly.

As to the fuel mileage...15-16 mpg with the 6.2L in town (which for a 6.2L is impressive) vs 17-19 with the Ecoboost (this assumes new body style). I get 16.5 mpg with my 2014 (old body style) and that's mostly city driving. My friend has a 2016 (aluminum body) and gets 18-19 mpg. My brother has a 2016 with identical mpg. Both are 4x4. It is very dependent upon gearing as well though.

Oh and the new 2017 Ecoboost is pumping out 470 lbft of torque...that's impressive.

As a Ford dealer, I will say the 2.7 has been a great engine so far, good gas mileage, good power and reliable. Like any turbocharged vehicle, if you drive it like you stole it, the mileage will suffer. For daily commuting and pulling a 3-4000 lb trailer it's great. One customer used to send me pictures of his gas mileage display and tell me how much he loved it. If you are looking at 16's they have a ton of incentives on them as the 17's are starting to hit the ground. The only thing that is a little quirky is the automatic shutoff when you are at a stop light it turns the engine off. :eek: It's easy enough to disable, just push a button, but that is supposed to help improve mileage. :rolleyes:

You're a Ford dealer in Atlanta? Whereabouts? I'm in the market for a truck...

Back