Anyone carry sectionals anymore?

I find fore flight easier to use than the paper..... but I'm a bit of a tech enthusiast so that's probably not surprising.

I always have paper on me. I am at a point now that I use foreflight for planning. I would also plot my route on paper too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Foreflight is nice, however the fact is it simply make you lazier as a pilot. Planning on paper forces you to look at everything along the way and not just the start and end points.

I love it, but dependency upon it is too great.
Speak for yourself. if it makes YOU lazier, that's something you have to deal with. I do pretty much the same level of in-flight monitoring and preflight planning with my tablet as I did without it (I may actually do more).

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. if it makes YOU lazier, that's something you have to deal with. I do pretty much the same level of in-flight monitoring and preflight planning with my tablet as I did without it (I may actually do more).
If "lazy" means "less work", I agree, tablets have made us "lazier".

I used to work harder planning a 50 mile hamburger flight than I do now flying to Oshkosh. And I love it.
:)

If "lazy" means "less work", I agree, tablets have made us "lazier".

I used to work harder planning a 50 mile hamburger flight than I do now flying to Oshkosh. And I love it.
:)

Me too. It's certainly more efficient, but it sounded like "lazier" was being used in the sense of "not doing what needs to be done" rather than "finding the most efficient way to accomplish a task."

I think I have a sectional in my flight bag, not sure what area it covers as I can fly off the local sectional in 20 minutes.

I do carry an iPad with updated sectionals, and, I carry an iPhone with updated sectionals.

I also have a 430 in the panel.

I also have windows on the plane, so, I can usually find mountains, freeways, rivers, towns, and other landmarks.

If my 3 independent electronic devices fail, I will likely go to the windows before the folded up sectional.

As for fear of Iranians knocking out GPS, I kinda think aliens would be a bigger risk. The worst case during this "war" is I land at whatever airport I happen to see. I doubt I am flying during the actual event, and I doubt I have a destination that has to be completed, that day, during the attack.

I will take my chances using electronics.

I prefer to conceal carry. People don't need to see me walking around with a map.

Haven't used paper in what feels like 10 years (probably less). I don't see the need for paper any more than I use a typewriter. Sure, my iPad could fail but I also have a full glass panel with georeferenced plates and full navdata as well as an iPhone.

Even if a nuke goes off and the EMP knocks all of my electronics out, I'll still make it to the ground safely. Charts and plates are not an emergency critical system for me any more than the laptop I'm typing on is. It would be inconvenient if it died but life would go on.

Last edited:
I only reference them on the iPad to look for cool features on the ground to keep me entertained. Don't carry the paper ones. Don't even have then at work because we are IFR 100% of the time.

Let's face it, dead reckoning is dead.

Welcome to 2015.

Pretty much. I only used it a few times on cross countries a few times right after I got my PPL. I immediately started my instrument training and learned how to use VORs and DME and never used dead reckoning again. Then I got GPS and pretty much never use VORs and more either. However I am only VFR these days. I'm sure if I were current and flying instruments again, I would still be tuning in and identifying stations... and then just using GPS.

I've done a few ferry flights in airplanes without 12V chargers to charge the iWigets. Having a stack of sectionals helped.

Plus, it was a sign of progress when I'd get to fold up one and bring out another.

I agree too, although there seem to be far more, "I use paper, you are a fool for using a tablet" than vice versa, so it seems pretty one sided in terms of "my strokes are for everyone else."

I have seen that also, Mark. I think some people just like to argue :). I don't know why anyone would "diss" or look down on another pilot for using electronics. As far as I am concerned, they are the best thing since sliced bread. I just like to have a paper sectional also to follow along, because for me, it is easier to look farther to each side, ahead, etc. on the paper than the electronics.

I have seen that also, Mark. I think some people just like to argue :). I don't know why anyone would "diss" or look down on another pilot for using electronics. As far as I am concerned, they are the best thing since sliced bread. I just like to have a paper sectional also to follow along, because for me, it is easier to look farther to each side, ahead, etc. on the paper than the electronics.

It's like the 406 ELT debate. You get one sided opinions on that as well.

Personally, I don't care if you're flying around with a sectional, no electronic device at all and a 121.5 ELT. It's legal and it's their aircraft. I also don't care if you fly with iPads with multiple electronic backups and a 406 ELT. It's still legal and it's your aircraft.

For some of us we have no choice but to use paper (current as well) because that's what is provided by the company. Plenty of companies still ordering not only paper sectionals but the IFR stuff as well.

Nope. :nono: Charts on my tablet, backups on my smart phone.

OCCASIONALLY I will print out an instrument approach on paper.
Ditto. Worst case scenario (FF dies on the iPad and iPhone) I can ask ATC to give me the particulars for an approach or fly a surveillance approach.

I still use paper sectionals, only because I haven't owned a tablet until very recently. I've pulled up the Avare/Garmin/Duats apps while on commercial flights to try them out and they seem functional. I'll likely keep the relevant expired sectionals in the flight bag, but use the tablet from now on for the basic hamburger runs I've been doing. I'm sure I'll eventually abandon the paper altogether, but I rarely used the sectional anyway aside from preflight planning. Hard to lose track of where you are when you are flying in a state you've seen most of from the ground, lol.

I carry a sectional in my survival kit for use as a fire starter and approach plates for toilet paper. :thumbsup:

I have one open most XC flights. I like to ID things I see. My MFD doesn't have the same detail as a sectional.

Ditto. Worst case scenario (FF dies on the iPad and iPhone) I can ask ATC to give me the particulars for an approach or fly a surveillance approach.
Now THAT's "Old School!" Using a radio and a pad and pencil to ask question and write information down instead of using those newfangled charts.
angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

I have one open most XC flights. I like to ID things I see. My MFD doesn't have the same detail as a sectional.

This has been true with all my MFDs (MX20 and now GTN 750) - even with max detail turned on - as well and I don't like it. I like to ID things as well and maintain a general sense of which way is which and what does the terrain look like below me (some call it SA) so I like to have FF's sectional up with my FPL and location plotted. I'll maintain a general sense of what airports are nearby and play "find the airport". I like to ID towns, lakes, rivers, VORs, highways, mountains, etc. If for no other reason than to keep me alert (see that sleeping thread for more :D )

What's really 'fun' is trying to find unpaved strips.

Last edited:
Wish I could download foreflight on my Droid and use as a backup to my iPad. They really have dropped the ball in that respect. Shouldn't have to buy an iPhone to get what I paid for.

:confused: You bought an iOS app and got short-changed because it doesn't work on a Droid? :dunno::rolleyes2:

iPad backed up by iPhone backed up by Android tablet on longer flights (more than two states away.) 12-24V cig lighter adapters with multiple cables for power backup, backed up by 13,000mah battery that will fully charge all of them if adapter gives out. Pen and paper if all else fails. In four years I haven't had my primary device give out on me yet.

iPad backed up by iPhone backed up by Android tablet on longer flights (more than two states away.) 12-24V cig lighter adapters with multiple cables for power backup, backed up by 13,000mah battery that will fully charge all of them if adapter gives out. Pen and paper if all else fails. In four years I haven't had my primary device give out on me yet.

No carrying around a giant bag with Jep charts any more?

This-ish. iPad backed up by three other iPads (the older ones the kids watch movies on) and two iphones - they all have FF and a couple also have WingX. 12,000 mAh battery backup plus cig lighter.

Belt, suspenders and a couple of industrial staples.

This-ish. iPad backed up by three other iPads (the older ones the kids watch movies on) and two iphones - they all have FF and a couple also have WingX. 12,000 mAh battery backup plus cig lighter.

Belt, suspenders and a couple of industrial staples.

Lol, $1500 worth of equipment to backup an $8 sectional chart? :lol:

I regularly fly a G1000 equipped plane, and I STILL carry a paper sectional...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The sectional chart backgrounds for Garmin Pilot are pretty darn good.

You can zoom in and get great detail with your geo-location on there. They don't look any different than a sectional to me.

I still carry them, especially on long xc flights. I have 2 tablets and a smartphone loaded up with Avare's charts which I use but the paper charts still work fine if I lose ship's power. Belt + suspenders ya know.

I'll be honest, I feel as if I'm more prepared for an unfamiliar xc when plotted on paper. Granted, I still use Foreflight to assist, but I actually prefer the paper chart on my lap. I'm weird like that.

I feel more prepared for any XC when I get to draw and review the route on paper. That said, I've fallen into the iGizmo habit, simply because keeping 3 or 4 paper sectionals current would cost more on an annual basis than a WingX subscription, which gives me all of the charts and more.

No carrying around a giant bag with Jep charts any more?

Not a chance! I HATE paper Jepps! (Love their charting....hate the paper and binders!) In the "Day Job" we have Jepp Airside...a pair of chart cases that stay with the airplane and are automatically updated by Jepp for us. No schlepping mega-cases of charts for this guy!

Those old sectionals can be glued to a sheet of plywood so that if you are planning a flight to a destination on the next sectional it's a piece of cake. Drill a hole in your home drone and put a string with a weight on it and you can easily trace the route to see what you will fly over. If you have old WAC charts then you can have even more area.

My comment was more the number of devices he was citing as backups (3 ipads and 2 iPhones). I'm well aware of the capabilities of the EFB.

Did you read the part about them being the ones my kids watch movies on? They're older iPads but they can still run the latest iOS and FF so I keep them up to date - why not.

When I'm solo I carry one backup iPad - and my iPhone is always around. Plus my battery backup. I don't miss paper.

I don't carry paper sectionals or other paper charts in the Baron. Like others I have panel mounted GPS, plus ipad and iphone and sometimes I'll bring along the Garmin Aera for long trips. Plus multiple battery backup packs.

I do still carry a paper sectional in the Waco for a couple of reasons -For one, part of the joy of flying the open cockpit is to put the electronics away and do pilotage the old fashioned way.

Secondly, I have actually found that it is easier to use the paper sectional in the biplane than the ipad. As you bounce around, manipulating the touchscreen can sometimes be a pain in the butt. I find that it is easier to take a quick glance down at the sectional and then get eyes back outside than trying to scroll/resize...etc the iPad.

Still in the trash at the hangar ..... you're giving me ideas.

Honestly, the last time I pulled out a sectional was to use it in the windscreen as a sun-shield. :wink2:

Another idea is to donate the outdated sectionals to aspiring pilots or students. Yes, they could spend the $10 to buy a new one but sometimes that is a deterrent to a poor-a** student.

Back