Anyone care to guess...

things i dont need in my airspace when i am flying low and slow

Let's see; it's in Tennessee.
It must have something to do with either

Moonshine
Dolly Parton
UT Football

I'm going to guess its something military and involves blowing stuff up.

Upcoming live-action Tetris competition.

Why in the world do you need a tower to test if a cockpit is shielded well enough for a nuclear powered aircraft?

Why in the world do you need a tower to test if a cockpit is shielded well enough for a nuclear powered aircraft?

I’m guessing they may have also simulated flight conditions using cable pulls to test how their little reactors held up to maneuvering and/or radiation measurements in the airspace around the reactor.

I was a nuke on a sub but that’s just an educated guess. I’m kinda glad the government decided nuclear powered aircraft wasn’t a viable option.

I was a nuke on a sub but that’s just an educated guess. I’m kinda glad the government decided nuclear powered aircraft wasn’t a viable option.
Nuclear aircraft was supposed to have been powered by molten salt reactors. It's a different fuel cycle and a lot safer than plutonium...

...theoretically. :)

Nuclear aircraft was supposed to have been powered by molten salt reactors. It's a different fuel cycle and a lot safer than plutonium...

...theoretically. :)

Just did some brief reading on that. Liquid salt is the cooling medium in the primary and secondary loops, essentially the water in our typical nuclear reactors, but it still needs a heat source, likely uranium.

Just did some brief reading on that. Liquid salt is the cooling medium in the primary and secondary loops, essentially the water in our typical nuclear reactors, but it still needs a heat source, likely uranium.
I had thought they were trying to use thorium for the aviation application, but this is way before my time so I could be way off.

Wow and we worry about some LL in our tanks in an incident/accident!

Back