Anybody nickel plating their cylinders

woxof

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
woxof
It is supposed to be great for rust-proofing. And out of interest, on a hardness scale....

"The industry-standard Knoop microhardness test for mechanical hardness confirms what Byrnes said. On that scale, diamond is 7,000, nickel silicon carbide is 3,300, hard chrome is 972, hardened steel is 822, and tooth enamel is 343."

It is supposed to be great for rust-proofing. And out of interest, on a hardness scale....

"The industry-standard Knoop microhardness test for mechanical hardness confirms what Byrnes said. On that scale, diamond is 7,000, nickel silicon carbide is 3,300, hard chrome is 972, hardened steel is 822, and tooth enamel is 343."
The old chrome plating process was to bring over sized cylinders back to standard size, wasn't really meant to wear harden the cylinder, although it did.

ECI did have a ni-chrome process, that they advised to be used in engines that did not fly much..But I have no experience with them.

I've heard of Nicaisil coating being used to line aluminum cylinders in waverunners and such. Not sure how prevalent it ever became.

In a nutshell, ceramic particles are suspended in nickel that is plated into the bore, leaving a ceramic/nickel matrix, then the surface nickel is removed leaving the ceramic exposed as the wear surface.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

I've heard of Nicaisil coating being used to line aluminum cylinders in waverunners and such. Not sure how prevalent it ever became.

In a nutshell, ceramic particles are suspended in nickel that is plated into the bore, leaving a ceramic/nickel matrix, then the surface nickel is removed leaving the ceramic exposed as the wear surface.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil
I don't believe that was the process that ECI used, their process was a alloy for nickel/chromium, and steel to produce a corrosion resistant cylinder.

Nah...I'm holding out for the tooth enamel cylinder to come out.

So then will a cylinder removal be called an extraction, and will the A&P will need to have a dental certification?
If it has some pitting, can we just get a filling?
Do we have to brush them every night before bed? Damn!

just did mine.....a little over 20 hrs and all is fine. ;)

Attachments

• ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 19
So then will a cylinder removal be called an extraction, and will the A&P will need to have a dental certification?
If it has some pitting, can we just get a filling?
Do we have to brush them every night before bed? Damn!
you know....the guys at APS have dental certifications. :lol:

Back