Anybody else have trouble with Enterprise Car Rental?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I planned ahead and called Enterprise to assure a car would be available at the rural podunk county airport I was flying to Sunday. Enterprise assured me they would deliver there and meet me at the airport at 4pm. I asked to confirm the delivery location would not be a problem before getting off the phone and was again assured it would be no problem.

I called Sunday morning to confirm prior to departure and was advised that despite the fact that I had a confirmed reservation that they would not deliver a car to me. They said they didn't have anyone to go that far.

I called enterprise corporate this week to file a complaint. They took my number and said they would call back. Still have not received a call from them.

What do you guys do for transportation at rural county airports when they don't have a courtesy car and the car rental company gives you the middle finger?

Has service just gone to **** with most all companies these days?

Cheap, lazy rental car companies, another dang nail in GA's coffin.:lol: Have you thought about a Terrrafugia?:rofl:

What do you guys do for transportation at rural county airports when they don't have a courtesy car and the car rental company gives you the middle finger?

I ended up flying to another airport. I had made arrangements with Enterprise to pick up a car on a Thanksgiving day at OLV. Same deal as you, even said "Hey, this is Thanksgiving, are you sure you'll have a car for me?" and the answer was a solid yes. Get to the airport, place was a ghost town, and no car to be found. Called Wilson Air over at MEM, they said yup, we're open, come on over, we'll have a car for you! And they did.

BTW, Wilson seems to be one of the classier FBO chains, they treat customers well.

Yes, I've had countless problems with Enterprise and only tend to use them if I have no other choice. I had a similar problem to yours. I even called them the morning of the flight to confirm when I'd be there and they promised they'd drop the car at the FBO.

Get there, no car. FBO calls them...umm...sorry about that um... it will be a while. Fortunately, the FBO had a cancellation on one of their cars (not enterprise) they offer for rent (which is what I wanted to do initially).

The other problem I've had with Enterprise is finding EXTRA days tacked on to the end of the rental. They've always been good about removing these when I pointed it out, but I suspect they scam the insurers/car dealerships who pay for these things without looking too carefully at the return dates.

Oddly, apparently, they have been great to me.

I reserved a car with Enterprise for pickup at KAUS, austin executive. Got a confirmation, and a "no problem, enterprise is on the field"

I arrive and they don't have a car for me. So, i just pointed at the Bentley, Rolls, and Jag, and said "well, any one of those will do"

The FBO hottie found me a car shortly.

Everytime I use Enterprise there is an issue. I thought, this time i'll get an emerald club number. NOPE, same screwage. AVIS seems to do better for me but they aren't in a lot of areas that I fly to.

Oh well. just adds to the excitement of flying GA.

Hit and miss with Enterprise. If you are calling the central reservation office, ask them to transfer you to the office that serves the place you want service. Talk to a person, get their name at the local outlet. Enterprise is franchised. They do tend to hire vets so I try to use them when I can. It's important to talk to the local shop. Most times when the local place is closed on Sun, I'm allowed to drop the car on Sunday, and not get charged an extra day. However, then I need to get to the airport from the rental place.

There's no way to win if you like flying to rural or remote airports. I'm thinking of getting a folding bike for this reason, but that's a fair amount of hassle as well. Go to a bigger regional airport, or take your chances.

My game with Enterprise (never tried using them at a GA airport) seems to be that every time, no matter where I've rented from them, they will always try to up-sell with a twist.

"Sir, for only $20 extra, I can get you into the next size up."
"No thanks, I want the size I reserved."
"Sir, for only $10 extra, I can get you into the next size up."
"Sir, for only $5 extra, I can get you into the next size up."
"Sir, we don't have the size you reserved, so I'll put you into the next size up for no extra charge."
"That's what I thought."

This has happened so often I generally tell them to skip to the end of the conversation.

Uber. They're everywhere.
Just installed the Uber app. Opened it and it immediately found my location close to the podunk airport referenced in this thread. It then said no uberx available. This does appear to be podunk; perhaps in more urban locations it would be different.

Just installed the Uber app. Opened it and it immediately found my location close to the podunk airport referenced in this thread. It then said no uberx available. This does appear to be podunk; perhaps in more urban locations it would be different.

I installed Uber on the off chance they would come to my house and take me to DIA. No UberX available here either.

Uber. They're everywhere.

I just signed up for UBER this week. Flew to Indy last week and got irritated with the cab situation. I'm looking forward to trying UBER out.

Uber is quickly become a required transportation service for me, and I think really makes GA much more useful. Fly in, get an Uber within a couple minutes, and off we go. Soooooo much better than cabs.

I was in Witchita for work. When I finished, they called a cab, but it was going to be 30 minutes. I got an Uber driver in less than 5, and it was a much nicer car than any cab I have ever ridden in.

I looked into renting a pickup from Uhaul. They are about $20 per day plus mileage. Uhaul locations are all over; locations with pickups may not be as widespread.

To my tremendous surprise, I just had a fantastic customer experience renting from Enterprise at LaGuardia Airport in NY. I was expecting a nightmare for many reasons. Boy, was I glad to be wrong!

Shuttle was right on it - saw me hustling and waited for me. I got a new guy who was very helpful and gave me a better route than I had planned. A minor reservation snafu I didn't notice and they offered me an upgrade. Yes, they were probably out of the class I reserved. Hung out to avoid rush hour and heavy rain and they were friendly with a decent setup.

I ended up returning fourteen hours early. Manager said "For some reason it didn't change the price, so I gave you ten percent off."

Renting a Ford Fusion for 120 hours in the NY area for $201 seems like a great deal to me, especially considering the complete lack of mass transit to where I was going.

I can certainly see different experiences in different places, but I had to speak up about the quality of my interaction.

Uber if practical. Otherwise, I call the FBO and rent through them, never had that fail. The FBO's know their business depends on being able to provide transportation for the transients who land there.

Renting from LGA does not really count. FWIW i've always had a good experience with enterprise, through the FBO or from a major airport. Never rented directly with them from a rural airport though.

Last edited:
I always go through the FBO. The one time I booked directly with Enterprise, the car went to the wrong airport.

You can find the service areas on their website. They are not in podunk airports, but will generally serve the relievers on medium to large cities. For example, Tune in Nashville, Tampa Exec, PDK etc...

Uber if practical. Otherwise, I call the FBO and rent through them, never had that fail. The FBO's know their business depends on being able to provide transportation for the transients who land there.

Renting from LGA does not really count. FWIW i've always had a good experience with enterprise, through the FBO or from a major airport. Never rented directly with them from a rural airport though.
Thats the difference - major vs small airport...
The larger fields and metro areas tend to not be an issue. I called the FBO at this little airport mid-week before coming (they were not staffed on Sunday afternoon when I came in). They didn't have a rental car nor a courtesy car; they thought enterprise would deliver to their field.

So, is enterprise still jacking up our rates for non GA airports via cookie tracking once we check on pricing at a GA airport?

Between that and the phantom extra days and charges, I gave up on them. Got tired of running two browsers to rent as well.

So, is enterprise still jacking up our rates for non GA airports via cookie tracking once we check on pricing at a GA airport?

Between that and the phantom extra days and charges, I gave up on them. Got tired of running two browsers to rent as well.
Sometimes I feel so naive.
I had no idea this was going on.

Had 50/50 luck when reserving with Enterprise. The reservation person makes promises that the actual rental location will not fulfill. If I plan ahead and truly need a rental car I tend to use airports with cars on sight.

The FBO that I worked at for years has a nasty episode with Enterprise one time when a customer planning to fly in had called them to reserve a car for Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

Enterprise dropped off the car Friday morning (good so far). Customer arrives, car is there and ready, rental agreement shows Friday, Saturday, Sunday (still all good),

Customer returns on Sunday afternoon for departure, signs the rental form showing he had returned the car on Sunday as agreed, takes off with the family and is on his way (splendid!)

We call Enterprise on Monday morning to remind them that their car is at the FBO (and.....)

On Thursday they send people out to retrieve the car.

We get a call about a week later from the customer telling us that Enterprise was billing for the car from Friday through - yep, you guessed it- the following Thursday instead of the Sunday when he returned it. :eek:

We did have other good dealings with Enterprise, but be careful!!

...There's no way to win if you like flying to rural or remote airports. I'm thinking of getting a folding bike for this reason, but that's a fair amount of hassle as well...

I've done some nice trips with a folding bike, but there's definitely a learning curve on figuring out the best way to get it in and out of each airplane type, and some places are just too hilly.

Oddly, apparently, they have been great to me.
676 independent locations, but the culture is one of disservice. They really revolve around the insurance-reimbursed model. Of course, they bought out National (not that I have been overly happy with National in the past, but they had gotten better of late).

At KRUE (Russellville, AR) the local Enterprise office has served us well. If the car is reserved direct them ahead of time, it is delivered before the expected arrival and can be dropped off at the FBO on return. Reservations made with corporate haven't worked as well. With spontaneous reservations, it might be awhile before they get the car delivered.

Had 50/50 luck when reserving with Enterprise. The reservation person makes promises that the actual rental location will not fulfill. If I plan ahead and truly need a rental car I tend to use airports with cars on sight.
Same here. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. I've also seen a trend at Enterprise over the last several years where they don't leave cars with the FBO or let you drop the car at the airport which used to be the norm and was a great convenience. These days you have to call them when you land and (when they have time) they come get you then take you back to their office to write up the rental.

The worst thing IME is their hours which in many smaller locations are limited to 9-5 on weekdays plus Saturday morning. I've had them charge me for an extra day when I departed on a Sunday a couple times but usually they will time out the car if you call and leave a message indicating that their car is ready to be picked up at the airport.

But I also had a bad experience with Budget recently when they simply didn't have a car even though I had a pre-paid reservation. And the worst car rental experience in recent years was with a cheap off field outfit at Orlando. They had 20 renters coming in at roughly the same time but were only running one 8 pax shuttle on about a 30 minute schedule. After that when I got to the counter they insisted I had to pay for their insurance ripoff which almost doubled the quoted price. The only way out was to provide "proof of insurance" which I finally manged by having my wife text a photo of the policy from home. All this took 2.5 hours from the time I got my luggage to the curb until I was driving away.

The worst experience I had was a trip to a customer site in Wichita. Enterprise had one vehicle left, a 12pax van. Damn thing nearly didn't fit in the hotel garage and I only had inches to maneuver in. Two days later they finally had something back I could trade it for...

We always refer customers to the local enterprise number, that way they get a person that actually knows what they are doing. Coming in on weekend--no problem as long as call them by Friday at 3. When cars get returned we send the manager a text and she comes and picks them up on Monday but we put a note on each key saying when it was returned...thats when charges stop. I have noticed that they do seem to charge about a 10.00/day premium for bringing to the airport unless you are a frequent customer of theirs though.

We always refer customers to the local enterprise number, that way they get a person that actually knows what they are doing. Coming in on weekend--no problem as long as call them by Friday at 3. When cars get returned we send the manager a text and she comes and picks them up on Monday but we put a note on each key saying when it was returned...thats when charges stop. I have noticed that they do seem to charge about a 10.00/day premium for bringing to the airport unless you are a frequent customer of theirs though.

LIke I said you need to check it. I've had extra days tacked on both at FBO returned cars and when I returned them to the Enterprise outlet (in the service department of a large car dealership in the area).

I had Avis try to charge extra days from the FBO several times in Houston area airports. I think they all get away with whatever they can. At least when I call the local Enterprise place and get a name I can call back and make sure to get the same person. Like I said, hit or miss.

I've had several episodes of rental cars not being available. It's nothing new since Seinfeld had an episode about the same problem 20 years ago. "Sir, I know what a reservation is." "Apparently you don't, or I'd have a car."

I asked a friend of mine here at work about the problem when I discovered he used to manage an Enterprise center. He said he was hired at a great salary with nothing but a high school diploma. But the work is brutal. 70-80 hour weeks were typical, frequently longer, and a hectic pace. Constantly moving cars from one location to another. And here's where the problem is. Their performance is graded by how few cars they have on their lot - the fewer the better. Knowing x% of people cancel their reservations they overbook. And then there are the people who don't return the cars on time. Accidents leave them short of cars while they're being repaired. And naturally, there are people who show up with no reservations.

We almost never hire someone w/o good college transcripts, but the guy came to us motivated and with a lot of experience in a variety of areas of running a business.

Several weeks ago my beef was with Budget. My dinglehead wife made the reservation using her company credit card but knew that I would be driving so made the reservation in my name. When we arrived at the airport they wouldn't rent ME the car using her credit card and they wouldn't let us change cards to mine. Essentially we no longer had a reservation. And sure enough, to rent the car w/o a reservation the price was almost twice what it was previously.

Has anybody tried calling a local auto dealership to see if they offer a rental car?

Has anybody tried calling a local auto dealership to see if they offer a rental car?

I have in past years and most have (but you have to get it and return it at the dealership -- and it's usually more expensive than the standard rental companies. Although, I just checked my homebase and Enterprise there charges double what they do in town, so ....)

Lot's of me too stuff here. Too much to quote...

I've had great service from Enterprise, and I've had some serious run ins. Here's a few...

Rented a car from Enterprise at Dulles, planned to drop it off elsewhere. Not sure where, but was told no extra charge if it's in Virginia suburbs. A week later I try to drop it off. There's a ding on the back bumper, smaller than a dime. The dealer conveniently happens to be a body shop as well and offers to let me pay him for the repair. I mention it was already there when I picked it up. He "calls" the Dulles location to ask about the damage. It was a rather quick call, but nope, no previous damage. Yeah, right. I decided not to drop it off. I went to another location a few miles down the road. They were so excited to get a car (they were out!), the dealer told me the bumper could have been crushed and he wouldn't have charged me.

Another one way rental story from Enterprise. The drop off was at an airport where the Enterprise parking was right behind the run up area. A month or so after dropping it off, they tried to charge me for "stars on the windows" and some other dings. I called BS and they dropped it.

At Alamo in Norfolk, I was told my reservation was no longer valid because I didn't provide a flight number. My flight was late, and I didn't get there in time I guess. They would be happy to still give me a car, but it would be at the full rate which was a bunch more, like double. I said no thanks. Got on the internet, made another reservation for the same people. This time it was for $5/day less than my original reservation. Couldn't help but smirk as I picked it up from the same lady that tried to scam me.

Had a reservation for a car at BWI. Went to the rental counter. Tried to deny all the scam insurance they wanted to tack on. The fellow started going into scare tactics about how my whole life would be ruined if I had an accident and I was making a mistake by not getting the insurance from them. I admitted that I was making a mistake and rented a car from the next counter over. Cheaper price, no scamming on the insurance.

And then there was the time I arranged for a one way rental in Portland, Or. My original reservation specifically stated that there would be no drop off charge. When I got to Portland, the computers were down. Not a problem, I showed them my reservation. Despite the fact that it specifically said no drop off charge, they still tried to charge me. The lady stated in no uncertain terms that I was required to pay that drop off charge. I stated in no uncertain terms that I didn't have to pay it, and walked out. Got a cab that turned out to be a bit less than the rental without the drop off charge.

Most recently, I did yet another one way rental with Enterprise. Swung by the local branch and advised them that I would be dropping it off at the airport before they opened in the AM. They said no problem, thanks for letting them know. They would pick it up. Ten days later they picked it up and charged me for each of those ten days. I about hit the roof when I saw the charge on my card. Ended up feeling like a ping pong ball bouncing between the two dealers, each pointing the finger at the other. Just as I was about to dispute the charge with the credit card company, the issuing dealer relented and reversed the charges.

For the most part, I've had good experiences with car rental places, even Enterprise which I consider the rental of last resort. Unfortunately, there are some dweebs out there that will take advantage of you if they can.

BTW... U-Haul still sucks. Penske is MUCH better!

Rented a car from Enterprise at Dulles, planned to drop it off elsewhere. Not sure where, but was told no extra charge if it's in Virginia suburbs. A week later I try to drop it off. There's a ding on the back bumper, smaller than a dime. The dealer conveniently happens to be a body shop as well and offers to let me pay him for the repair. I mention it was already there when I picked it up. He "calls" the Dulles location to ask about the damage. It was a rather quick call, but nope, no previous damage. Yeah, right. I decided not to drop it off. I went to another location a few miles down the road. They were so excited to get a car (they were out!), the dealer told me the bumper could have been crushed and he wouldn't have charged me.

scratch+and+dent+damage+evaluator+card+ERAC+enterprise+national+alamo+car+rental+agency.jpg

Hit and miss with Enterprise. If you are calling the central reservation office, ask them to transfer you to the office that serves the place you want service. Talk to a person, get their name at the local outlet. Enterprise is franchised. They do tend to hire vets so I try to use them when I can. It's important to talk to the local shop. Most times when the local place is closed on Sun, I'm allowed to drop the car on Sunday, and not get charged an extra day. However, then I need to get to the airport from the rental place.

There's no way to win if you like flying to rural or remote airports. I'm thinking of getting a folding bike for this reason, but that's a fair amount of hassle as well. Go to a bigger regional airport, or take your chances.

Unless you are flying to Europe or Africa, Enterprise is NOT franchised.

Enterprise Holdings confirmed that there are no plans to franchise U.S. car rental operations. “We are committed to developing a comprehensive network of rental car businesses across Europe and beyond,” said Jim Burrell, senior VP, Europe for Enterprise Holdings.

Find the manager of the outlet you are dealing with, and bring your concerns up with them. Each manager (and many are 23-26 year old go-getters) has Profit and Loss responsibility for the outlet. They have authority to discount, make good, etc as needed to run their outlet profitably.

(As an aside, their model is to hire young college graduates, call them "managers" so they are exempt from overtime rules, then work them like dogs for the first couple of years. If the "manager" survives, the pay is not too bad for the business, and, a lot of liberal arts majors can find a place to have a career.)

Back