Anybody carry a handgun when they fly GA?

I have no qualms with anyone's desire to own a gun. Please don't insult or put down the people who choose not to participate in your hobby. Please don't assume everyone who doesn't want to participate in your hobby wants to ban it. Both of these are pretty toxic assumptions.

I have some intellectual curiosity about firearms. I like explosives. Some day I will probably go with my friend who shoots to the gun range and have some fun. But, my own thought is that statistically I am significantly more likely to die or seriously injure myself doing something stupid in an airplane versus a home invasion or robbery. Both guns and airplanes require a level of continued proficiency and practice to operate safely and effectively. Given the statistics I'd much rather spend the money on Avgas for proficiency and training/CFI time than guns and ammo.

Years ago I went to a business meeting at The Hungry Tiger Restaurant in Los Angles. In the middle of the meeting, which was in an area set aside for such things, a gun fight erupted in the adjoining main dining area. It was between an off duty cop and a patron who pulled a gun when the waiter refused to dim the lights. They both emptied their guns and reloaded, the fight went out onto the street. To say bullets were flying would be an understatement.

The waiter had been shot in the chest and had what is called a sucking chest wound. The first course of action in such a case is to try and block off the outside air from entering through the wound.

One of the guys in our group had been a medic in Vietnam, so he went over and started taking care of the victim. The L.A. police showed up in force, and took over the entire restaurant. One of the cops went over to where the guy was administering aid and literally kicked him in the stomach and told him to get away from the victim, they then arrested the good Samaritan, a guy who worked for our company.

Anyway, when things calmed down a bit, our CEO was able to convince the cops to let the guy go. I can not remember what became of the victim as a result of the cops actions, but I'm sure it was not good.

Anyway, an exciting evening in Los Angeles. None of our group had a gun, probably a good thing given the circumstances. I can't remember the name of the guy in our group who stuck his neck out to try and save the waiter. He went over to the downed waiter while the bullets were still flying, a very gutsy guy.

-John

Last edited:
Gotta love LAPD, they hire psychos and train em to be maniac killer sociopaths who veiw anyone not a cop as "The Enemy", San Diego is the same if not worse, they executed a guy hogtied on the sidewalk live on Channel 10. Since the guy was white, there was no one to complain about it. Too bad they don't teach em to shoot straight.

Gotta love LAPD, they hire psychos and train em to be maniac killer sociopaths who veiw anyone not a cop as "The Enemy", San Diego is the same if not worse, they executed a guy hogtied on the sidewalk live on Channel 10. Since the guy was white, there was no one to complain about it. Too bad they don't teach em to shoot straight.

I think they actually do, but the cop that fired back in a crowded restaurant was suffering from impaired judgment, the restaurant also had a liquor license. The heroic actions of the cop that kicked the criminal, who was administering aid, away from the victim seemed to be suffering from an inability to asses a situation.

I know in San Diego, in police involved shootings, the officer/s involved will be given a 30 day paid administrative leave. This might explain why groups of officers are involved in the shooting of homeless people who threaten their lives with small branches off shrubbery, or garden stakes, perhaps fishing trips are part of their planning, who knows.

There have been more than a few instances where over six officers have felt their lives were so threatened by such dastardly weapons, that the entire lot of them emptied their guns into the vicious criminals. Witnesses have said these homeless deadly desperadoes seemed confused at the time leading up to their demise. Perhaps caused by the yelling and screaming of the police surrounding them from a safe distance.

A San Diego Police Officer has never been convicted of a wrongful shooting. No matter what the circumstances or witness testimony, the shootings are always called as being justified by our DA.

-John

Last edited:
The Vietnam Vet medic should have sued the LAPD. It is disgusting that a cop would do that.

For example, take a cab ride from your hotel to a restaurant for dinner, see a sign on the door saying firearms prohibited, do you go in and break the law?

I take my business elsewhere.

For the most part in Texas, most restaurants dont do this, nor do most other businesses. In my state the list of places you CANT legally carry is pretty short - Hospitals, bars (establishments that earn 51% or more of their income from alcohol sales), schools and a few govt buildings. Hell.. even the courthouse has an EXPRESS lane that bypasses metal detectors if you have a CHL..

Do those of you who carry when flying have your gun on you or packed away? I am thinking about taking my 9mm when I fly, so I am curious how everyone does it. Thanks.

What does your state allow?

For me it depends on the length of the trip and to what state I am going, IOW is my permit good there?

My last long trip I kept it on me till the IL border then unloaded it and stashed it away in my emergency bag.

And that's all every bullet does is damage stuff.

The real question is whether or not that "stuff" should be damaged. On occasion (punk robbing a store, someone beating your head against the sidewalk), it should.

For the most part in Texas, most restaurants dont do this, nor do most other businesses. In my state the list of places you CANT legally carry is pretty short - Hospitals, bars (establishments that earn 51% or more of their income from alcohol sales), schools and a few govt buildings. Hell.. even the courthouse has an EXPRESS lane that bypasses metal detectors if you have a CHL..

I saw a sign in Dallas yesterday that said "For your safety and ours, we welcome concealed firearms".

But for the life of me, I'm drawing a blank on where I saw it...

As to the original question about whether or not I carry a weapon with me when I fly...maybe I do, maybe I don't. You've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk? :wink2:

If I did carry a firearm, it would be a Colt 1911 Model 70 .45 pistol. Hypothetically of course.

My only concern would be which states I could travel to and which I could not. New Jersey comes to mind...

Last edited:
Do those of you who carry when flying have your gun on you or packed away? I am thinking about taking my 9mm when I fly, so I am curious how everyone does it. Thanks.

A nice little short barreled 12 gauge works better and requires no permits in any state.

a 9mm is no match for 5 rounds of 00 buck.

I don't, since the likelihood of diverting to a state where I'm not licensed is too high.

A 40nm flight can put me in one of five states (MA,NH,VT,CT,RI). Increasing that to 75nm will put me into Maine or New York.

Of the seven states within 75nm, I can only carry in two. :mad:

Unload and put the gun in a case?

Last edited:
I can understand if your flying to some remote area to go hiking or camping, or your perhaps planning on visiting Chicago or Detroit, with the idea of walking around to enjoy their inviting neighborhoods in the late evening, then, I guess, it would make sense to pack.

Chicago has a handgun ban correct? Cant even own one.. IIRC. Maybe it was struck down by the supreme court.. don't remember.

Chicago has a handgun ban correct? Cant even own one.. IIRC. Maybe it was struck down by the supreme court.. don't remember.

Yes, Chicago has a handgun ban, and there has been more murders by gang members there using handguns recently than I ever remember.

Look at the cities in states with the strictest gun laws. They are often the cities with the highest gun crime. Chicago, D.C., L.A., Camden, NJ, etc.

A nice little short barreled 12 gauge works better and requires no permits in any state.
Partly true. In my fair state, for example, it's perfectly legal to have a loaded rifle or handgun in your car, no permit needed IF it's not concealed. One or two cities have more restrictive rules. However, CC permit or no, a loaded shotgun in your vehicle is a major no-no. It's a game & parks regulation, apparently to discourage road hunting.

The US constituion gives you guys the right to bear arms, in my opinion it was meant as a circunstance of what was happening at the time in 1787 .
The country at the time had a population of less than 4000.000 people as per the 1790 census, I assume that it did not include African Americans, so it made a lot of cense to be able to have a gun.

Today, the issue is totally diferent and the crime statistics speak for itself, the time will come when that issue will be revisited.

As you probably may have noticed Im not American, Im a Canadian, born in Portugal...:yikes: it doesnt explain anything :rolleyes2:

I have guns and enjoy shooting whenever I have a chance, it took me (or any other Canadian) over 4 months from the time I decided to buy a Glock to the time I got it.
I havent fired yet because I have not taken the familiarization tour at the Gun Club.
Canadian restricted gun license is a very rare previlege, 3 referecences plus the wife to sign on my application and be interviewed over the phone.
Can only carry it from the house to the shooting range and to the US border providing I have a US license to carry in the US.
Must not be shorter that 107mm barrel, so my Glock19 has a 1/2 inch sticking out of the barrel, special order from LoneWolfe.
Gun must always be in a sealed locked case, amunition in a separate locked case.
Use and possession of a restricted gun anywhere even your home is a minium 5 years in jail...non negotiable,:nono: its under appeal now and will be going to the Canadian Supreme Court, argument unfair and excessive punishment.

So, I understand that no asked for how things work up here in Canada, all Im saying is that your right to bear arms, as it is, is under the microscope thanks to the scum bags like that one in Colorado recentlly, Florida and Colombine School.

I suspect that your right, may become a previlege for the the ones that are responsible enough to enjoy it.

Today, no one has a CC permit or any other permit to carry a handgun in Canada, other than LEO's or money delivery personnel.

Dont be caught with a handgun in Canada:nono:

Cheers

Last edited:
Partly true. In my fair state, for example, it's perfectly legal to have a loaded rifle or handgun in your car, no permit needed IF it's not concealed. One or two cities have more restrictive rules. However, CC permit or no, a loaded shotgun in your vehicle is a major no-no. It's a game & parks regulation, apparently to discourage road hunting.

That may be true, but does that include aircraft?

That may be true, but does that include aircraft?
Don't know. But it would be a cold, cold day in Hades or anywhere else before I'd have a loaded shotgun in the plane. In fact, even if I were carrying concealed on a day I was flying -- and as has been said before, you never really know for sure -- I'd unload and safe that weapon during preflight.

Don't know. But it would be a cold, cold day in Hades or anywhere else before I'd have a loaded shotgun in the plane. In fact, even if I were carrying concealed on a day I was flying -- and as has been said before, you never really know for sure -- I'd unload and safe that weapon during preflight.
I would too.

carrying any weapon in the open will get the 911 call in a lot of places. sad but true.

Ok, I don't get it. All you guys say you wouldn't leave the house without packing. Is this the wild west we live in? I am 49 years old and travel frequently for business and yet, I have never felt like carrying a gun in public would make me safer. In fact, I have heard many people get shot with their own gun. How often do you hear on the news "man averts robbery/mugging, because he happened to have a gun on him". Oh yeah, there is the kid in Florida, but they may not work out to well.... I am not anti guns, but in today's society, they seem more useful for sport than personal protection. Just sayin'

As a former law enforcement officer I respectfully disagree with your statement. I worked in a relatively small community on the east coast near the I-95 corridor. Even though I no longer answer 911 calls to take statements from victims, I cary all the time.

Being a victim is a choice. There are bad people everywhere. They don't care about gun free zones or any other law. Being able to defend yourself and others is a very good idea in my opinion.

The US constituion gives you guys the right to bear arms, in my opinion it was meant as a circunstance of what was happening at the time in 1787 .
The country at the time had a population of less than 4000.000 people as per the 1790 census, I assume that it did not include African Americans, so it made a lot of cense to be able to have a gun.

Today, the issue is totally diferent and the crime statistics speak for itself, the time will come when that issue will be revisited.

That's not what the 2nd amendment was intended for, nor was it for hunting. The right to bear arms was put into place as a check and balance assurance system for a possible over bearing govt (remember why people came to America).

Personally I very much enjoy target shooting, I shoot my fare share of paper, however, though secondary, I also have my firearms for any and all constitutional purposes.. and at one time, without even having to fire, it did save my life.

That's not what the 2nd amendment was intended for, nor was it for hunting. The right to bear arms was put into place as a check and balance assurance system for a possible over bearing govt (remember why people came to America).

The purpose of the second Amendment is to ensure a well-regulated and armed militia for whatever purpose it is needed for. The wording makes it clear to anyone with a basic understanding of English that The People are the militia.

It reminds me of the saying that the swiss army is kept in a closet. Some citizens are not qualified for military service, but the majority are and maintain all their equipment at home, including their rifle. So the majority of the people have a gun at home. Switzerland also has the lowest crime rate in the world. Coincidence?

The terms "well-regulated" and "militia" come to mind...

Gee, I wonder what document those are from, and what a late 1700s person would have meant by them...

A militia kept regular?

Most Armies marched with a significant number of men sick with dysentery back then, and constantly passing it around, so being "regular" wasn't much of a problem.

Add things like marches during the Civil War with nothing to eat but un-ripened green corn straight off the stalk, and no shoes... and it sounds like a lovely little jaunt 20 miles down the road, eh?

Back