Anybody carry a handgun when they fly GA?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Ever run into legal problems carrying on a GA flight?

I believe I've seen SIK (MO) posted for no handguns at the gate to the airport. I believe the sign said it was a state law.

I personally don't remember a flight that I haven't. But then concealed carry means that no one knows. As long as there aren't any metal detectors, I really don't worry about it. But I would probably deny that I ever mentioned this ;-)

I rely on usacarry.com ...

Ohio defines airport terminals as PFZ's. They do not define what constitutes an airport terminal. I can imagine Deputy Fife overreacting.

I rely on usacarry.com ...

Ohio defines airport terminals as PFZ's. They do not define what constitutes an airport terminal. I can imagine Deputy Fife overreacting.
Ohio prohibits in airport terminals where regularly scheduled commercial flights operate. Thus, YNG is now verboten due to Allegiant adding routes through there.

I almost always carry when I fly, but then I almost never use towered airports and I carry concealed nearly 100% of the time normally. To me, it is no different than grabbing my wallet or cell phone in the morning.

> regularly scheduled commercial flights ...

The section of OH laws that I read, do not mention anything about regularly scheduled commercial flights ... It only mentioned airport terminals.

Fwiw, I do have pistol safe in the plane. I also unload, as I have header tanks beneath the floor.

Last edited:
Ever run into legal problems carrying on a GA flight?

I believe I've seen SIK (MO) posted for no handguns at the gate to the airport. I believe the sign said it was a state law.

Never have had a problem carrying anywhere, but since leaving CA the urge to carry is very rare indeed.

Whenever I fly and if my passengers don't have their own I'll lend them one...

I certainly would if I thought that I was going somewhere dangerous. If I was flying a lot over expanses of wilderness. For the most part though I have not.

I don't, since the likelihood of diverting to a state where I'm not licensed is too high.

A 40nm flight can put me in one of five states (MA,NH,VT,CT,RI). Increasing that to 75nm will put me into Maine or New York.

Of the seven states within 75nm, I can only carry in two. :mad:

Last edited:
I carry a handgun all the time, you wont catch me out of the house without one, or two.

KBOS cracks me up. Signature has metal detectors that cost me $60. If a pax shows up with a gun and ammo they all go onto the conveyor and get X-Rayed. The pax get wanded after going through the metal detector. After all this the 'security' people hand the pax back their guns and ammo and go back to surfing the web.

I don't, since the likelihood of diverting to a state where I'm not licensed is too high.

A 40nm flight can put me in one of five states (MA,NH,VT,CT,RI). Increasing that to 75nm will put me into Maine or New York.

Ya really need to move to a better part of the country..:yesnod::wink2:

We live in Texas so I don't understand the question. :)

Ok, I don't get it. All you guys say you wouldn't leave the house without packing. Is this the wild west we live in? I am 49 years old and travel frequently for business and yet, I have never felt like carrying a gun in public would make me safer. In fact, I have heard many people get shot with their own gun. How often do you hear on the news "man averts robbery/mugging, because he happened to have a gun on him". Oh yeah, there is the kid in Florida, but they may not work out to well.... I am not anti guns, but in today's society, they seem more useful for sport than personal protection. Just sayin'

??? I thought Jackson Hole went Yuppie like Asspen?

We just keep the few yuppies around to feed the bears when they get hungry.:yesnod::D...

Lead and armor piercing stuff still rule the world out here.:wink2:

Ok, I don't get it. All you guys say you wouldn't leave the house without packing. Is this the wild west we live in? I am 49 years old and travel frequently for business and yet, I have never felt like carrying a gun in public would make me safer. In fact, I have heard many people get shot with their own gun. How often do you hear on the news "man averts robbery/mugging, because he happened to have a gun on him". Oh yeah, there is the kid in Florida, but they may not work out to well.... I am not anti guns, but in today's society, they seem more useful for sport than personal protection. Just sayin'

Usually the mainstream media ignores the stories were people legally defend themselves from harm with a firearm. Do a little research, and you will find out it is quite common.

The "people getting shot with their own gun" is another false perception forced upon us by the anti (legal) gun media. Rarely happens unless it is a suicide.

Here is a list of some recent ones. And this is just for Texas.

http://prattontexas.com/antiwimpshell.htm

Here is a list of some recent ones. And this is just for Texas.

http://prattontexas.com/antiwimpshell.htm

Looks like it is mostly people defending their home or security guards doing their job. Not too many gunfights at the OK corral. I stand by my original premise. I think carrying in public doesn't accomplish much. Even if you do end up using the gun, you probably didn't need to and you will end up in court defending yourself.

You've been drinking the "Kool-aid."

> How often do you hear on the news "man averts robbery/mugging, because
> he happened to have a gun on him"

~Once/month.

In Michigan, ~1/month a CPL holder shoots in self-defense ... and the
shooting is ruled justifiable. Very few problems with CPL holders and
unlawful shootings.

~1:22 law abiding Michigan citizens/residents legally carry concealed.

Last edited:
Countdown to 2nd amendment battle and thread destruction.....5, 4, 3,....

Looks like it is mostly people defending their home or security guards doing their job. Not too many gunfights at the OK corral. I stand by my original premise. I think carrying in public doesn't accomplish much. Even if you do end up using the gun, you probably didn't need to and you will end up in court defending yourself.

Well good for you. :rolleyes:

It's your right but I agree with John on this one. I've never felt the need. Not in my area anyway. I'm far more likely to die in my pickup hitting a deer or a cow than getting shot at.

If you happen to land in Vermont, we'll welcome you with open arms. (no gay pun intended)

Vermonters enjoy the freedom to carry openly or concealed, without a permit. :)

I will not be a victim, nor will my family. It is like an insurance policy. You don't expect your house to burn down, but you carry homeowners insurance anyway.

There are animals out there that will kill you for the change in your pocket or just because they want to.

I will not be a victim, nor will my family. It is like an insurance policy. You don't expect your house to burn down, but you carry homeowners insurance anyway.

There are animals out there that will kill you for the change in your pocket or just because they want to.

I guess you aren't paranoid if they really are out to get you. :eek:

Your premise is ONLY an opinion, not based in any evidence.
It is also to be noted that ANY mass shooting type incidence that has occurred in the US was immediately stopped when a armed private citizen acted.

Hopefully you won't need to defend you or your family. My question is, do you carry life insurance? I view being armed as a type of insurance.

The "most gun owners are shot with their own guns" comment you made, really? What a crock.
Unless you have evidence to back it up?

According to Dr. Kleck, you may be wrong.
Even the Department of Justice estimates 1.5 million per year.

Former assistant district attorney and firearms expert David Kopel writes, “… [W]hen a robbery victim does not defend himself, the robber succeeds 88 percent of the time, and the victim is injured 25 percent of the time. When a victim resists with a gun, the robbery success rate falls to 30 percent, and the victim injury rate falls to 17 percent. No other response to a robbery – from drawing a knife to shouting for help to fleeing – produces such low rates of victim injury and robbery success.”

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html
At least 12 national and 3 state-wide surveys have asked probability samples of the general adult population about defensive gun use. The surveys differ in many important respects. The two most sophisticated national surveys are the National Self-Defense Survey done by Marc Gertz and myself in 1995 and a smaller scale survey done by the Police Foundation in 1996.

The National Self-Defense Survey was the first survey specifically designed to estimate the frequency of defensive gun uses. It asked all respondents about both their own uses and those of other household members, inquired about all gun types, excluded uses against animals or connected with occupational duties, and limited recall periods to one and five years. Equally importantly, it established, with detailed questioning, whether persons claiming a defensive gun use had actually confronted an adversary (as distinct from, say, merely investigating a suspicious noise in the backyard), actually used their guns in some way, such as, at minimum, threatening their adversaries (as distinct from merely owning or carrying a gun for defensive reasons), and had done so in connection with what they regarded as a specific crime being committed against them.

The National Self-Defense Survey indicated that there were 2.5 million incidents of defensive gun use per year in the U.S. during the 1988-1993 period. This is probably a conservative estimate, for two reasons. First, cases of respondents intentionally withholding reports of genuine defensive-gun uses were probably more common than cases of respondents reporting incidents that did not occur or that were not genuinely defensive. Second, the survey covered only adults age 18 and older, thereby excluding all defensive gun uses involving adolescents, the age group most likely to suffer a violent victimization.

The "most gun owners are shot with their own guns" comment you made, really? What a crock.
Unless you have evidence to back it up?

Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't write that, so I have no intention of backing it up with evidence. You are right, I have only expressed an opinion and I don't maintain it to be anything but my opinion.

There are sheep and there are wolves, which one you want to be is up to you.

Not usually, except when I overfly "Banjo country" when travelling to my vacation house in West Virginia.

I guess you aren't paranoid if they really are out to get you. :eek:

I have sat in courtrooms as an observer through several sentencings where the horrible atrocities by the perps were described in detail by the victims. And I do mean HORRIBLE to the point I will not repeat them here. I vowed then an there not to allow that to happen to me nor my family.

So are you paranoid if you carry homeowners and auto insurance, or you use checklists for your plane even though you've never had an engine failure or in flight emergency?

Back