Any Profit?

I would think if you do an overhaul and put in a 430w along with another 155 you could get $70k or so for it pretty quickly.

That's a minimum $35000 repair job. No profit in it at all. Don

The point was how much will this 177 sell for repaired, I don't believe it will be anywhere near 35k.

Retrieving it will be a logistic night mare.

How tough is it to pull the wings on a Cardinal? :dunno: Getting it back from NC certainly won't be cheap unless you integrate it into a vacation and haul it yourself, that's for sure.

How tough is it to pull the wings on a Cardinal? :dunno: Getting it back from NC certainly won't be cheap unless you integrate it into a vacation and haul it yourself, that's for sure.

Why not fly it home?

Fixed gear cantonal? Not much, 25-35, with a nice panel, even then it's not a super quick sell plane IMO.

Event Date2015-05-04 Aircraft MakeCESSNA Aircraft Model177B Aircraft Serial Number17702674 DamageSUBS Probably CauseThe pilot's failure to monitor the airplane's movement and maintain control of the airplane. Prelimenary NarrativeAfter engine start up, the pilot reported that he and his passenger were focused on untangling their headsets. He stated they both were "heads down" for about 8 seconds and failed to notice the airplane moving forward. After rolling forward about 25 feet, the airplane struck an unoccupied airplane which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage. The pilot reported no mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation. Final NarrativeAfter engine start up, the pilot reported that he and his passenger were focused on untangling their headsets. He stated they both were "heads down" for about 8 seconds and failed to notice the airplane moving forward. After rolling forward about 25 feet, the airplane struck an unoccupied airplane which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage. The pilot reported no mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.

.......which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage....

Event Date2015-05-04 Aircraft MakeCESSNA Aircraft Model177B Aircraft Serial Number17702674 DamageSUBS Probably CauseThe pilot's failure to monitor the airplane's movement and maintain control of the airplane. Prelimenary NarrativeAfter engine start up, the pilot reported that he and his passenger were focused on untangling their headsets. He stated they both were "heads down" for about 8 seconds and failed to notice the airplane moving forward. After rolling forward about 25 feet, the airplane struck an unoccupied airplane which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage. The pilot reported no mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation. Final NarrativeAfter engine start up, the pilot reported that he and his passenger were focused on untangling their headsets. He stated they both were "heads down" for about 8 seconds and failed to notice the airplane moving forward. After rolling forward about 25 feet, the airplane struck an unoccupied airplane which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage. The pilot reported no mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.

.......which resulted in substantial damage to the firewall and fuselage....

Yeah, I looked at the pics closer, looks like it'll ferry just fine.

These sit for months on TAP for ~$45k - $50k with junk radios pretty paint & interiors.

Almost all of them have inop ARC autopilots. ARC or Mitchell Nav/Coms.

Personally, I'd avoid the 78 if its 24 volt, which it probably is.

Last edited:
Late model Bs with a fresh engine and decent panel go that cheap? That's less than an equivalent year 172 goes for, much less. This is the last year of them and has an upgrade on the 180hp engine.
my '69 Bo was cheaper.....:yikes:

These sit for months on TAP for ~$45k - $50k with junk radios pretty paint & interiors.

Almost all of them have inop ARC autopilots. ARC or Mitchell Nav/Coms.

Personally, I'd avoid the 78 if its 24 volt, which it probably is.

Why in particular the 24v system?

Late model Bs with a fresh engine and decent panel go that cheap? That's less than an equivalent year 172 goes for, much less. This is the last year of them and has an upgrade on the 180hp engine.

I believe that the first year was the only year that came with a 150 horse 0-320. the 180/0-360 was standard equipment after that.

I believe that the first year was the only year that came with a 150 horse 0-320. the 180/0-360 was standard equipment after that.

Right, but this is a newer engine with the roller cam and 2 individual mags rather than the Siamese mag, that's why I call it an upgrade.

If you want to rebuild planes, I'd go with 7AC, 7ECAs, PA18s, 182s, Bos, RVs, 180/5s, things that are hot and sell quick and for a good amount.

Not many people want a fixed gear 177, heck not many people want a 177 RG.

Not sure what's the heck is up with this panel, guessing they are pulling everything that was blacked out.

I don't even want to think what it would cost to make that gutted panel into something that someone would entertain for the price range you would have to market this plane for.

image.jpg

I'm not a A&P, nor did I stay on a quality in, but I'd wager you'd be at least $20k upside down in that 177 by the time you had her done to a level someone would even think about owning it.

Last edited:
Right, but this is a newer engine with the roller cam and 2 individual mags rather than the Siamese mag, that's why I call it an upgrade.

and it has 1700+ hours

Why in particular the 24v system?

Because the main battery is for a 4 place personal 180 horse piston powered airplane (no different that my car) costs about $500.

Its a rip-off.

If you want to rebuild planes, I'd go with 7AC, 7ECAs, PA18s, 182s, Bos, RVs, 180/5s, things that are hot and sell quick and for a good amount.

Too many 177RG are full of ARC junk too. like 95% of them

There is only one aircraft that sell high enough to make wages restoring. that's a PA-18-180 with all the added STCs.

Right, but you can do the overhaul at a profit.

The airplane is 6000 TT tho.

There is a 1977 on TAP now with 1200 TTAF, 10 SMOH for $59k. No hangar rent to pay while repairs are being made. Equipped pretty typical.

Right, but you can do the overhaul at a profit.
Sorry no, I can't. it is a Lycoming, I do not have the tools required by the OHM to do a complete overhaul.
Charley Malot would get the job or a NEW engine.

You can swap the accessory case go get rid of the D2XXX/D3XXX mag...

I don't find the two individual mags to be worth a ton of money. I don't think the roller cams are either.

Odd. They are great planes. I love mine. That's not to say that I think there is a chance to make a profit on this. But I think that is a result of the depressed value of all vintage, non-light sport aircraft, relative to the cost of repairs and parts.

Because the main battery is for a 4 place personal 180 horse piston powered airplane (no different that my car) costs about $500.

Its a rip-off.

Depends on the mission.

I like being able to jump start my plane from a car, that said for a big bore six banger, where I can't hand prop and I need it to start, 24v is very nice.

Depends on the mission.

I like being able to jump start my plane from a car, that said for a big bore six banger, where I can't hand prop and I need it to start, 24v is very nice.

Again, its a 4 place 180 horse engine. There is no reason the stinking battery should be over $200, for an RG battery.

Buy a 2016 Cessna 172. If equipped with standby batteries and whatnot that's like a $1000 just in batteries. For a 4 passenger 120 knot airplane.

I'm not a A&P, nor did I stay on a quality in, but I'd wager you'd be at least $20k upside down in that 177 by the time you had her done to a level someone would even think about owning it.

How about a rental aircraft? comply with Lycomings AD, repair the boot cowl, fire wall and cowling, place it out to rent.

Back