Any FAA question loopholes to not admit to taking prescribed medications in the past?

seth19man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kali
Just stopped using Adderall recently (ADD diagnosis) and I plan to quit Prozac (anxiety diagnosis) in the summer in order to pursue my dreams of becoming a pilot. I was prescribed these medications when I was 13, and I personally think my anxiety and ADD can be attributed to being a young, hormonal, and confused child. I have to take a very expensive nuerophsyical in order to prove my ADD doesn’t affect me. What kinds of questions does the FAA ask regarding previous medical history? Is there any loopholes I could use to not admit to using these medications (For example, asking if you’ve taken prescribed medications in the last … days/months/years)? Or maybe, I could somehow reverse the diagnosis so I don’t have to admit to being diagnosed to anything?

Pick a different hobby. Just asking about how you can avoid regulatory requirements is enough to refuse any further advise.

If you can reverse the diagnosis - you have a chance. It’s expensive. HIMS neurologist I believe.

Looking for loopholes isn’t the right approach.

If you want to fly for fun and personal travel - go sport pilot (don’t go for an FAA medical because if you’re denied - no sport pilot).

If you want to fly for the airlines, reach out to aeromedicaldoc.com

But 1st class medical every 6 months to keep your job is no joke. Lots of rules and regulations. Not bendable either.

The correct answer is that there's no question on the form about medications you've taken in the past. So if you're not currently taking them, you don't have to disclose them.

But the form does ask about all diagnoses you've ever had, so you'll still have to disclose the ADD and anxiety, even if you're "feeling much better now."

I feel bad for the OP here. To me it's stuck between prescribing drugs to kids who don't act like the actors on a TV sitcom, and a regulatory agency that's operating way outside it's swim lane with it's head stuck firmly in 1935. Why either group is allowed to do either of these is baffling to me. Trying to game the system isn't the right answer, I agree with the above, but the desire to do it makes sense given that it's tilted against anyone born after the drug companies invented the various forms of attention deficit whatever.

I feel bad for the OP here. To me it's stuck between prescribing drugs to kids who don't act like the actors on a TV sitcom, and a regulatory agency that's operating way outside it's swim lane with it's head stuck firmly in 1935. Why either group is allowed to do either of these is baffling to me. Trying to game the system isn't the right answer, I agree with the above, but the desire to do it makes sense given that it's tilted against anyone born after the drug companies invented the various forms of attention deficit whatever.
I think we are actually making it worse now with how kids are being taught to behave and think.

Hey just a question for somebody out there. I have heard that some fighter pilots use Adderall before a mission. And if they do is it acceptable and is it prescribed? Now don’t beat me up digitally for asking but I have read this. Is it based on fact or legend? I can see where it would make sense. Just wondering.

I have heard that some fighter pilots use Adderall before a mission. And if they do is it acceptable and is it prescribed?
Dunno if that's true. But assuming it is, then it seems likely that it is acceptable and prescribed for military purposes. And, of course, even if that's true, it has nothing to do with the OPs problem with a diagnosis of ADHD which the FAA considers disqualifying.

To your response about the OP’s original post. No it doesn’t answer his question, however his question was already answered. And he probably already knew the answer to the question anyway, just like most people on this forum. I mean do you really need to put a question on POA forum to find out if the FAA frowns on ADHD meds! Well duhhhh!!! And hell anxiety meds well crap let me see what the FAA thinks. Just making conversation….

To your response about the OP’s original post. No it doesn’t answer his question, however his question was already answered. And he probably already knew the answer to the question anyway, just like most people on this forum.
Based on this and many other threads, I would say that most people on the forum do not know the answer to his question.

Maybe I’m wrong from from the OP original post he was clearly diagnosed with anxiety and the “have you ever” clears up the question of not having to admit to being diagnosed with anything. The obvious answer is yes you do need to admit, put it in med express, and the get your ducks in a row. I see how someone could try to rationalize it but we ALL know the answer to the question. And if the OP spent 30 seconds on the forum he/she would know as well. I agree it is confusing and strangely provides so many avenues to try and think of a way to not report. It is an awful
Process that needs to change. If the OP had issues as a young person with an overzealous doctor he should not have to suffer for that today. There has got to be an easier
Way.

I think the OP was asking if there are any loopholes one can use to avoid reporting a disqualifying medical condition.

To your response about the OP’s original post. No it doesn’t answer his question, however his question was already answered. And he probably already knew the answer to the question anyway, just like most people on this forum. I mean do you really need to put a question on POA forum to find out if the FAA frowns on ADHD meds! Well duhhhh!!! And hell anxiety meds well crap let me see what the FAA thinks. Just making conversation….
I know ADD and Adderall and both disqualifying. However, if you get off of them for 90 days, you can take a Nuerophyical and if you pass it, you can still get your first class. The reason I would want to avoid admitting to this diagnosis is because it’s a very expensive test that I might not even pass. I personally believe I would pass it, I only took 15mg the entire time I’ve been on it which is a fairly low dosage. When I confronted my doctor about quitting it, he had no problem with it and took me right off. FYI, I would NEVER lie to the FAA. I just don’t want to tell them more than I legally have to and I was wondering if the questions were worded in a way where I could get around telling them about this diagnosis, but sadly they aren’t. It’s insane how stigmatized mental health is still in the airline industry, although I can sort of understand after incidents like Germanwing and Malaysia Flight 370 (if the theory of mass suicide is true). It just sucks for people like me who really want to fly and don’t see themselves being happy doing anything else as a job. I’m sure many pilots have mental health issues and are afraid to get help because they’ll loose their job. I personally believe that’s more much more dangerous than a pilot to admit they need help and being on medications. Although, some mental health conditions should ABSOLUTELY be disqualifying.

I know ADD and Adderall and both disqualifying. However, if you get off of them for 90 days, you can take a Nuerophyical and if you pass it, you can still get your first class. The reason I would want to avoid admitting to this diagnosis is because it’s a very expensive test that I might not even pass. I personally believe I would pass it, I only took 15mg the entire time I’ve been on it which is a fairly low dosage. When I confronted my doctor about quitting it, he had no problem with it and took me right off. FYI, I would NEVER lie to the FAA. I just don’t want to tell them more than I legally have to and I was wondering if the questions were worded in a way where I could get around telling them about this diagnosis, but sadly they aren’t. It’s insane how stigmatized mental health is still in the airline industry, although I can sort of understand after incidents like Germanwing and Malaysia Flight 370 (if the theory of mass suicide is true). It just sucks for people like me who really want to fly and don’t see themselves being happy doing anything else as a job. I’m sure many pilots have mental health issues and are afraid to get help because they’ll loose their job. I personally believe that’s more much more dangerous than a pilot to admit they need help and being on medications. Although, some mental health conditions should ABSOLUTELY be disqualifying.

I think you have a good shot at it I have read several threads here where they jumped though the FAA hoops and were eventually certified. If this is your goal in life go for it and get it done.

I’m not a doctor, but I’m not in favor of everyone on some type of prescription drug.

I knew a kid years ago, Mom took him to the doctor, prescribed him some ADHD type drug. The kid was more calm than the average boy. Maybe the drug would help him ‘focus’? Later on he wanted to join the military, no long on the prescription meds. Mom said, ‘I don’t think he can join’, previous meds?

I called the recruiter, he said as long as no more meds, he’s good to go.

I wonder how long it would take to get prescribed a drug for an ailment? A funny one is ‘restless leg syndrome’.

The reason I would want to avoid admitting to this diagnosis is because it’s a very expensive test that I might not even pass. I personally believe I would pass it, I only took 15mg the entire time I’ve been on it which is a fairly low dosage. When I confronted my doctor about quitting it, he had no problem with it and took me right off. FYI, I would NEVER lie to the FAA. I just don’t want to tell them more than I legally have to

"Have you ever n your life..."

You have. You legally have to tell them. You can't legally not tell them. Lying on the form is a felony.

How in the hell does one call those two flights mass suicides? They were mass murders, only one pilot on each committed suicide. Sort of an odd perception.

I agree. I've known people who have been depressed enough to be suicidal. I've never known any that would intentionally harm anyone else to do that.

How in the hell does one call those two flights mass suicides? They were mass murders, only one pilot on each committed suicide. Sort of an odd perception.
Suppose I could’ve worded that better, but I’m sure you get the point.

Lesson for parents - don’t get your kids diagnosed, never go to the doctor, never seek help. That’s what the FAA wants!

Get your kids a 3rd class medical as soon as they come out of the womb (apparently there is no minimum age limit), before they have any significant medical history. Then they always will have the option for BasicMed. Of course this wouldn't allow for commercial pilot careers beyond CFI.

"Have you ever n your life..."

You have. You legally have to tell them. You can't legally not tell them. Lying on the form is a felony.

Anyone have an example of prosecutions for inadvertent omission? The examples I have seen here were folks who filed disability claims then omitted that on the FAA medical. It's hard to say it was inadvertent if your receiving a check weekly. I really have no memory of my childhood very little detail I can't remember all ER visits ether would not want to speculate. I already tried talking to insurance companies they won't provide anything to you past 3 years.

Anyone have an example of prosecutions for inadvertent omission? The examples I have seen here were folks who filed disability claims then omitted that on the FAA medical. It's hard to say it was inadvertent if your receiving a check weekly. I really have no memory of my childhood very little detail I can't remember all ER visits ether would not want to speculate. I already tried talking to insurance companies they won't provide anything to you past 3 years.
Yeah except this guy is clearly how best to safely lie to the FAA.

Just stopped using Adderall recently (ADD diagnosis) and I plan to quit Prozac (anxiety diagnosis) in the summer in order to pursue my dreams of becoming a pilot. I was prescribed these medications when I was 13, and I personally think my anxiety and ADD can be attributed to being a young, hormonal, and confused child. I have to take a very expensive nuerophsyical in order to prove my ADD doesn’t affect me. What kinds of questions does the FAA ask regarding previous medical history? Is there any loopholes I could use to not admit to using these medications (For example, asking if you’ve taken prescribed medications in the last … days/months/years)? Or maybe, I could somehow reverse the diagnosis so I don’t have to admit to being diagnosed to anything?

Looks like you are I are in the same boat although I've already gone down the road of being truthful (which you should be for a myriad of reasons) and I'm now scheduled to take a neuropsychological assessment in April (is it expensive? Yes, for me it's costing $2100 for the assessment and another $120 or so for the required drug screen), is it worth it for being able to have a shot, no doubt about it.

Looks like you are I are in the same boat although I've already gone down the road of being truthful (which you should be for a myriad of reasons) and I'm now scheduled to take a neuropsychological assessment in April (is it expensive? Yes, for me it's costing $2100 for the assessment and another $120 or so for the required drug screen), is it worth it for being able to have a shot, no doubt about it.
There literally is no loophole to avoid admitting to taking these medications so I’m not going to lie about it. Sometimes, there are legal ways to omit things about your previous health history, but the FAA is too strict to avoid admitting to taking these medications. So I’m going to do the same thing as you and just suck it up, pay the price, and pray I pass. If you remember, please let me know what the test was like and how you did. Wish you the best!

Hey just a question for somebody out there. I have heard that some fighter pilots use Adderall before a mission. And if they do is it acceptable and is it prescribed? Now don’t beat me up digitally for asking but I have read this. Is it based on fact or legend? I can see where it would make sense. Just wondering.
Dunno, but The FAA has little/nothing to do with qualifying military pilots.

Dunno, but The FAA has little/nothing to do with qualifying military pilots.
Where the FAA would get involved is if a military pilot later wanted to get into civilian flying and applied for an FAA medical certificate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back