Any advice for flying over class B airspace?

I don't like climbing to nose-bleed altitudes unless I've got a good reason, like a nice fat tailwind, or terrain.

Flying over the class B isn't that big a deal. But, keep in mind, ATC still uses that thinner air up there. Take a look at the VFR flyway chart and check out the altitudes posted on the various arrival and departure corridors. Also, check out the gaggle of DPs and STARS listed for that class B.
I think the comment you quoted at least referred to all that except the nosebleed comment (8,500-10,500, nosebleed?)

Hey Cowman (aka OP):

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Orange

Orange who?

Orange you glad you asked? heehee

Anyway... good thread and hopefully some good thoughts on braving the bravo.

Well, here was the real world answer that ended up happening...

The clear day turned into a very thick "few 4000" and with a potential forecast of it going to scattered I set out at 3500. Soon as kansas city center handed me over to St Louis approach and the radio was quiet for a moment I asked if we could be cleared through the bravo on our current course. The answer was "alter course 10 degrees right" which kept me out of his airspace.

So there it is.

On the return trip I ended up at 4500 and just went SIK -> FTZ -> UIN which worked out.... aside from a diversion to FAM due to a passenger who had too many throwed rolls at lambert's but that's another story.

Sure, is legal to blow over the top and not talk to anyone; if that's your style, take a look at the flyways AND the IFR low chart, get an idea of what you're mixing in. I had to orbit near a VOR for several hours at between 9 and 10K, and it defined a route used into the DC/Balt Class B.

Called ARTCC and got a squawk (and stayed a couple miles west of the VOR) I didn't HAVE to talk to them (or they to me), but it worked best for both of us.

I think the comment you quoted at least referred to all that except the nosebleed comment (8,500-10,500, nosebleed?)

Throw on the cannula, you're good to FL180. No biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We fly 500' under Class B all the time. No different flying 500' over it. You're still clear of their airspace.

Talk to them but don't feel like you're doing anything risky or wrong.

Back