ANR Headset Really Worth The $$$

waldo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Waldo
My wonderful wife of 19 years went out and bought me my first ANR headset, a Lightspeed 20-3G. I was so excited about getting an ANR headset that I could hardly wait until the weekend to go and try it out. I tried it at the house and was very impressed with the noise canceling feature. However, actually flying with the headset disappointed me greatly. I have several cheapo headsets as well as a Flightcom 4DLX and a DavidClark H10-20. The Lightspeed headset, without the ANR turned on, was actually the worst sounding headset that I had, even comparing it to the $69 cheapo set. Now, Lightspeed did fit and feal better but sounded terrible. When I turned on the ANR the quality started showing through. It was just a little bit better than the DavidClark. Wondering why this was the case I did a little research and called Sportys technical support. The NRR of the DavidClark and the Flightcom was 24dB but the NRR of the Lightspeed (without ANR on) was only 12-22dB. I asked why the 12-22dB range and was told that it depends on the frequency (low or high). I think the the NRR was closer to the 12dB than the 22dB. With the ANR turned on the Lightspeed clam-to-fame was 22-24dB. Well, the DavidClark and the Flightcom offer 24dB so why is the ANR any better, I asked? They couldn't give me a good answer and just kind of stumbled over the question. I look at it like this, 24dB is 24dB. So how would the ANR be any better than the others that have the same NRR? I certainly could not tell much of any differance! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Good ones are worth it. When I flip the power switch, and the bose enc goes off, it is pretty shocking to anyone wearing them (IO520 three blade prop). Maybe you can trade up?

I used to think ANR wasn't worth it, until I came into possession of a pair of Dave Clarks with the Headsets, Inc. anr conversion. Now, I have the best of both worlds. Still have good passive protection should my battery die, but when I flip the switch to "on," it's a night and day difference. All the white noise is gone. I can hear the plane, I can hear how the engine is running, but otherwise it's quiet as can be. Worth every penny, IMHO. I'll be upgrading Cathy's Dave Clarks soon.

I have the PilotComm 17-79.

Start engine - it sounds a bit loud. Turn on ANR and POOF! No engine. Just a little high-pitched sputter to tell you that the engine is indeed still running.

Now I gotta get the gel seals. Anybody got a source for this headset?

MSmith said:

Start engine - it sounds a bit loud. Turn on ANR and POOF! No engine. Just a little high-pitched sputter to tell you that the engine is indeed still running.

I've got the gel seals on a PA 1779 as well as a standard 1776. I'm not sure I like the gel seals, honestly. In hot weather, they tend to slip quite a bit and are heavier.

MSmith said:

LOVE my Pilots! I think mine are a slightly different number, I'll have to check.

I seem to remember ordering them from Marv Golden? not sure if I have the name right.

it really is neat pushing that little button, huh? POOF is right.

ANRs just aren't worth it.

My David Clark's continue to be great, but are more than equalled in performance by my Av Coms, which also have a PTT switch and cost $100 less !

Custom tailored, launderable cloth earcup covers over gel seals are a must for true comfort in any weather.

waldo said:
I look at it like this, 24dB is 24dB. So how would the ANR be any better than the others that have the same NRR? I certainly could not tell much of any differance! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Headsets are a very personal experience. Choosing one without wearing it in the cockpit is like choosing a stereo speaker without listening to it in your home.
For me, 24dB is 24dB the first 10 minutes. After 3 hours the DC's feel like a clamp and the LightSpeed's are still comfortable. The only way a passive headset can achieve the same level of noise reduction as an ANR is to seal off the noise somehow. My experience is they do that with skull crushing pressure. YMMV.

I had a lot of problens with Lightspeeds. Just something in my A-36 they couldn't deal with. Very annoying side tones. They fixed, traded, really tried to help, but couldn't solve the problem. Tried a friend's set of Bose and they worked like a charm. You've gotta try them in your plane.

On long cross country flights, the Bose is hardly noticable. For shorter flights, they may not be worth the extra price. Bought mine four years ago and had the Bose connection installed: look Mom, no batteries. Love them.

Had a friend with an A-36 ride with me awhile ago and put the Bose on which is in my right seat. He was wearing Telex? He immediately went out and changed. He flies four and five hour legs on trips and his wife hated the heavy old headsets.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
I had a lot of problens with Lightspeeds. Just something in my A-36 they couldn't deal with. Very annoying side tones. They fixed, traded, really tried to help, but couldn't solve the problem. Tried a friend's set of Bose and they worked like a charm. You've gotta try them in your plane.

On long cross country flights, the Bose is hardly noticable. For shorter flights, they may not be worth the extra price. Bought mine four years ago and had the Bose connection installed: look Mom, no batteries. Love them.

Had a friend with an A-36 ride with me awhile ago and put the Bose on which is in my right seat. He was wearing Telex? He immediately went out and changed. He flies four and five hour legs on trips and his wife hated the heavy old headsets.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

I flew 7.3 hours the other day with my Bose headsets, still comfortable when I landed. My DC's would have been killing me after 4 hours. I had the HS inc. on my DC's which worked really well, but did nothing for the vise like pressure on my head. I love those high dollar Bose headsets. Worth every penny.
Don

Have two Lightspeeds, Thirty-3G and 20XLC. I really enjoyed the 20XLC, it was a HUGE improvement over my DC 10-13.4's. I was really excited to try the "top of the line", and really enjoy the quiet. Guess what? I can't really tell any difference in quietness between the headsets. None even when trading back and fourth in the same airplane on the same flight. Also, I like the simpler, smaller battery pack on the XLC over the 3G.

Adding to insult, I bought the 20XLC re-furbed from Lightspeed at significant savings over new.

My advice, at least for Lightspeed: buy two re-furbed 20XLC's for the price of one Thirty-3G, and share the quiet with your passengers.

Live and learn.

VERY good information here guys, thanks! I didn't think about the refurbished models offered by Lightspeed, good idea. I agree with the "crush the skull" method used by most PNR headsets to get the same dB reduction. As far as a "good" set being better? How much do you spend for a "good" set? The Lightspeed was around $475. Sportys told me that they would refund my money if not satisfied. Well, I'm not, but how much more should one spend to be satisfied? The Bose are pretty much out of my price range. I've heard only one bad comment about Bose . . . . Your hair gets caught in the top hinge! I am fortunate enough to still have hair on top and that would sound like a bad thing to get caught in the headset, besides not being able to afford the $995 sticker price (just bought the wife an anniversary ring).

Thanks for the comments:yes:

I'd say if your anr's aren't impressing you, you have a defective set of anr's. I will never, ever fly with anything but my bosex. It's almost eerie how quiet it gets. With what flying costs, why skimp on the headset?? You only have it on every second you're in the plane! tc

I think the point I was trying to make by posting the link to the AvWeb ANR info is that you really can't "hear" or quantify in a single NRR all the protection provided by ANR.

Choose wisely. I wish I'd had the choice when I started flying 36 years ago.

Ron "Whadidyasay?" Levy

waldo said:
VERY good information here guys, thanks! I didn't think about the refurbished models offered by Lightspeed, good idea. I agree with the "crush the skull" method used by most PNR headsets to get the same dB reduction. As far as a "good" set being better? How much do you spend for a "good" set? The Lightspeed was around $475. Sportys told me that they would refund my money if not satisfied. Well, I'm not, but how much more should one spend to be satisfied? The Bose are pretty much out of my price range. I've heard only one bad comment about Bose . . . . Your hair gets caught in the top hinge! I am fortunate enough to still have hair on top and that would sound like a bad thing to get caught in the headset, besides not being able to afford the $995 sticker price (just bought the wife an anniversary ring).

Thanks for the comments:yes:

I paid $945 for a new Bose X on eBay (free shipping) and never regretted it. Not sure how you catch your hair in the hinge - they have a lambs-wool cushion thingy between your head and the hinge. Anyway - I echo the others who mention the comfort of the Bose and I'll also mention the incredible clarity of sound. It blows away my Lightspeed 20 3G - which I now use for pax.

I switch to the DRE ENC-6000s from my Pilot 17-79s specifically because I had the battery discharge on on the Pilots on one flight and they were pretty bad as passive headsets. The DRE, like a Dave Clark, works OK as a passive with ANR off and are really quiet with the ANR turned on.

They've been very comfortable for me after long hours of flying. For whatever reason, I don't get as "moist" under them as have the clamping pain as with my original Dave Clark 10-60s.

I borrowed a Lightspeed 20 for one flight and thought they were really quiet in ANR mode, but they were heavy and felt like I had my head buried in a pillow.

Like the Rev says, you have to try them to know what fit you. Try to buy from a place like Avionics West that has a 30 day no questions return policy.

Oh yeah, the answer is that ANR headsets are definitely worth the money. The DRE is only $300 or so.

Well, if you want to try a less expensive ANR headset, try the Softcomm C-90. I've been using a pair for nearly 5 years and the performance has been flawless. Bought a second pair for my wife about 4 years ago for something less than $300 new on-line. Hard to beat.

My wife and I both have the 20XLC Lightspeed's and love them. Crank up the motor, put on the headset, push the "on" button and it just sucks out all the noise. Makes flying much, much more comfortable. I keep a set of David Clark 13.4's in the plane for spares and pax. No comparison at all in noise performance. I'll take the Lightspeeds any day.

The Bose sure look tempting, but the cost is just so difficult to justify. If I had something more than a Cherokee 180 and routinely flew long distances, I'd probably spring for them.

waldo said:
I asked why the 12-22dB range and was told that it depends on the frequency (low or high). I think the the NRR was closer to the 12dB than the 22dB. With the ANR turned on the Lightspeed clam-to-fame was 22-24dB. Well, the DavidClark and the Flightcom offer 24dB so why is the ANR any better, I asked? They couldn't give me a good answer and just kind of stumbled over the question. I look at it like this, 24dB is 24dB. So how would the ANR be any better than the others that have the same NRR? I certainly could not tell much of any differance! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

First, the passive noise reduction of all ANR headsets will be inferior to a tightly sealed non-ANR because a lot of the passive reduction comes from the volume of the ear cups and ANR takes up some of that for the electronics. Second, the concept of a single number for attenuation is pure marketing BS. All headsets have different attenuation levels at different frequencies and only by comparing the freq/ attenuation curve of a particular headset with the freq./ sound level graph of your airplane can you make a meaningful comparison.

Finally, ANR generally provides two main benefits. One is comfort. The lower clamping pressure and typical high degree of attenuation in the frequency range that props generate found in most quality ANR headsets equates to significantly less discomfort and fatigue on longer trips. The second is that you get a big leg up on understanding what a controller or another pilot is transmitting with ANR. And with that clarity, you can reduce the volume on the radio to levels that won't hurt your hearing, and contrary to popular opinion, I'm fairly certain that passive headsets offer adequate hearing protection from cockpit noise until you turn the radio volume up high enough to hear well.

I wished we had known about this in 1974....sigh.

Six ANRs. Won't look back.
PS The lightspeed 20 has an inexpensive mic....

bbchien said:
PS The lightspeed 20 has an inexpensive mic....

Maybe so, but shouldn't I be hearing (or not hearing) something different for the extra 200 banjos over the 20?

Maybe my Thirty-3G's are defective?

Bill Jennings said:
Maybe so, but shouldn't I be hearing (or not hearing) something different for the extra 200 banjos over the 20? Maybe my Thirty-3G's are defective?

I have one Thirty-3G, a Twenty-3G and two 25XL's. The difference between the Thirty-3G and the 25XL's is pretty minimal in terms of ANR. The Twenty-3G is the loudest.

AirBaker said:
I think my 20XL2s were more quiet than my 30-3G pair.

OK, so it's not just me. My opinion still stands, get two re-furbed 20XLC's for about the same price as a new 30-3G, and share the quiet!!!

My wife has the 1771s (9-volt battery). I found the ear cup small and she was bothered on long flights. I just installed the Oregon Aero replacement earcups. And they made a big difference. Increase the cup depth and seals around glasses better. Definately worth the $45.

Eric

It depends a lot on how noisy the plane is. When I flew a C182 my AvComms were fine. The we bought the Mooney (68 F). I was tired after 3-4 hours and strained to hear ATC. Got ANR and now I wouldn't fly an old Mooney without 'em.

Eric

I have a bose and would not trade it for any other headset. Yes it is expensive but so is hearing aids. My DC headset is great but not in the same class as the bose. Another way to look at it is try to buy a used set of Bose. Not easy to do and if you do find a set you will pay big dollars to get it. David Clarks also command a good price. Not all other manifacture hold there value. I also have two Pilot Headset that make good paper weights. Just my 2 cents worth.

UPDATE:

Well, 22 months after my original post I figure that I would give an update . . . . No since getting in a hurry, huh :p

I ended up keeping the Lightspeed 20-3G's. I still admit that they are not as quite when turned off as the DC PNR's. But I don't use them when they are turned off now do I? :D

Just a few months ago I had my first problem with them. The battery box ended up getting caught in my seat rail and I broke it when I slid the seat. One call to Lightspeed and they sent me a new battery box under warranty, even though I told them it was my mistake. It took me about 15 minutes to replace but they offered to repair free of charge if I wanted to send it to them. It has worked perfectly since the repair.

I have come to love my ANR headset. The comfort over long flights has gotten me spoiled. I still keep my DC's in the plane for my passengers and as a backup, but haven't used them in 22 months for myself. I am glad that I made the choice to go ANR's.

We've had a hodge-podge of headsets. I've been using a Pilot ANR, while my wife has had the old Lightspeed 15K that came with the airplane when we bought it. I've been coveting that Lightspeed, since it's so much more comfortable than that vise-grip Pilot.

Last week the on-off switch on the Lightspeed broke. That model has been out of production since 1999 and the company no longer stocks parts for it. But they offered me a $150 trade-in toward a refurbished 20XLc. Lightspeed is just down the road here in Portland, so I drove down there and bought two of them. Good deal, and I'm favorably impressed with the company.

-- Pilawt

I still love the Thirty 3Gs but the control unit is a pain when flying the Super D. The jacks overhead to the left behind the front seat.

I have one Thirty-3G, a Twenty-3G and two 25XL's. The difference between the Thirty-3G and the 25XL's is pretty minimal in terms of ANR. The Twenty-3G is the loudest.

I've owned pretty much the same list. I have one 30-3G, 2 20XLc's, and my Bose X. I'm a big fan of the Bose for the audio quality when the music is pumped up in the plane. The 20XLc is by far the best bang for the buck that I have purchased. My ears get a little cramped in the 20XLc after a while, but in the Bose or the 30-3G they're fine.

I've got a pretty loud Bo and the ANR is VERY nice to have. My pop's 206 is darn quiet for having almost the same engine. With the Bose on, its almost whisper quiet.

I still love the Thirty 3Gs but the control unit is a pain when flying the Super D. The jacks overhead to the left behind the front seat.

Get some "Superlock" adhesive fastener from Radio Shack (Actually a 3M product. "Dual Lock" is their name). Put a 2 in^2 strip on a flat surface in the airplane near the jacks. Put a 1 in^2 piece on the battery box and stick them together. This is assuming there's no place to attach the clip that comes with the headset.

Get some "Superlock" adhesive fastener from Radio Shack (Actually a 3M product. "Dual Lock" is their name). Put a 2 in^2 strip on a flat surface in the airplane near the jacks. Put a 1 in^2 piece on the battery box and stick them together. This is assuming there's no place to attach the clip that comes with the headset.
Thanks Lance. That's a good idea. I'll have to ask the owner about allowing me to do that.

The clip itself probably wouldn't work even if there is a place for it. The weight of the cable would pull it out of place. Just one of those things that happens when you're in something other than straight and level flight... which the Super D was built for anything but! :)

I have come to love my ANR headset. The comfort over long flights has gotten me spoiled. I still keep my DC's in the plane for my passengers and as a backup, but haven't used them in 22 months for myself. I am glad that I made the choice to go ANR's.

I'm starting to think about ANR's for pax. Specifically, I'd love to have a couple of extra pairs for my brother and his girlfriend when we go to the Wings Fly-B-Q. Gotta make sure the pax enjoy the trip so they come back for more, ya know! :)

I really like my Lightspeeds. I've been thinking about getting a pair of Mach 1's for use in Diamond Stars and other limited-headroom planes (I'm 6'4"). I just hate to spend so much money on headsets that might not get used much, tho. :dunno: Plus, I was planning on waiting until OSH to get the Mach 1's 'cuz they do free ear molding there. What to do...

I'm starting to think about ANR's for pax. Specifically, I'd love to have a couple of extra pairs for my brother and his girlfriend when we go to the Wings Fly-B-Q. Gotta make sure the pax enjoy the trip so they come back for more, ya know! :)

I use a 30-3g, have a 20xlc for wife, and a 13.4 DC with the kid headband conversion and the headsets inc ANR upgrade for my 4 year old daughter.

Ok, one last update and I promise to let this thread die :D

This week I flew a round trip from KBTR - KMLU - KBVO. In the mist work, packing, and wife not there to help me :blush: I forgot my Lightspeed 20-3G ANR headset at the house. Well, it's a 35 minute ride and much to late to go back and get them. I thought, what the heck, I've got the old D&C's in the plane, I'll just use them. Four hours later my head was hurting so bad. I thought to myself, "My 20-3G's NEVER hurt like this". Needless to say, I feel so bad now for making my wife and kids wear the D&C's much less the cheep headsets for all those long trips. I must admit that I didn't really notice the difference when I went from PNR to ANR . . . . . But I sure could tell the difference when I went back :yikes: I guess that I should post this under "Never Again".

To answer my own question . . . . . YES! ANR is well worth the money! Yes a thousand times over!

Back