Another schmuck?

I love United with the pile-on at the end. Anything to get them over the Dao story I guess. Flippin' Judases.... :D TC

What hole do newspapers pull these 'experts' out of ?

Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines captain, told the San Jose Mercury-News, which first reported the incident, that if the pilot was not told to correct course, the scene would have been “horrific.”
“If it is true, what happened probably came close to the greatest aviation disaster in history,” Aimer told the newspaper.

Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines captain, told the San Jose Mercury-News, which first reported the incident, that if the pilot was not told to correct course, the scene would have been “horrific.”
“If it is true, what happened probably came close to the greatest aviation disaster in history,” Aimer told the newspaper.

Your answer is right there in your quote: United Airlines. :)

Your answer is right there in your quote: United Airlines. :)

Oh, the schmuck who commented that an unchocked fuel-pumper rolling across the ramp would have undoubtedly caused a 'huge explosion' is a retired Brannif pilot.

So, like, he lines up with the taxiway. Oops.
Then, like,
Pilot: "Hey! Tower dude! There are lights on the runway"
Tower: "Don't sweat it, land anyhow."
Double oops?

Any rat-hole they can find who sounds believable. The general public is easy to snow over. I am an expert on everything, and if paid to dos so will give my expert opinion to the media. Odds are I will be totally wrong. (sarc)

All I see here is a big disaster didn't happen.

Think of it as click bait. Newspapers are in the business of selling advertising, which means they need eyeballs. And nothing draws eyeballs like sensationalism.

Here in The DC area last night Washington Center's building filled with fumes, and they went ATC zero at Center. There was at least one banner headline that flights had to be stopped because the control tower had to be evacuated.

Dumb made-up sensations for dumb general public.
"Airplane landed on the ground and nobody died" does not attract as much dumb people and make profits for dumb millionaires. *shrug*

The NTSB has just released the name of the crew that almost landed on the taxiway at SFO. The plane was piloted by Capt. Al Coholic. The Co Pilot was first officer Bud Wieser.

The NTSB has just released the name of the crew that almost landed on the taxiway at SFO. The plane was piloted by Capt. Al Coholic. The Co Pilot was first officer Bud Wieser.

They are canadian. They dont drink that horse-****. Come up with something involving Labatts.

And here I was thinking they were Jim and Jack.

is-your-pilot-drunk-feature.jpg

I don't think that's as much hyperbole as you claim it is. Tenerife is the current winner for highest body count. That was two 747s. This would have been up to five aircraft. 2 787's, 1 737's, 1 A340, and the A320 instigator. The aircraft waiting appear to have been on Charlie back to almost November. The touchdown point is well before that. Without the go-around, it would have been four or five aircraft involved in the collision. It would definitely have been very, very bad.

The question, of course, is how close it really came. It sounds like the Air Canada pilots were not unaware that there was an issue. I'd like to believe that means the ATC call for a go-around was only reinforcing what they were doing or about to do anyway. The only info I've seen about how close it came is that it appears the plane descended to 175' before climbing again. That's not particularly comfortable, but it's basically a go-around at minimums for an ILS, so not too terrible.

According to this, the airplane came quite close. Maybe not quite air disaster, but I'm pretty sure 100' separation is worthy of investigating.

The Canadian Transportation Safety Board (TSB) reported that it was estimated that AC759 overflew the first two aircraft by 100 feet, the third one by 200 feet and the fourth one by 300 feet. The closest lateral distance was 29 feet.

The question, of course, is how close it really came. It sounds like the Air Canada pilots were not unaware that there was an issue. I'd like to believe that means the ATC call for a go-around was only reinforcing what they were doing or about to do anyway. The only info I've seen about how close it came is that it appears the plane descended to 175' before climbing again. That's not particularly comfortable, but it's basically a go-around at minimums for an ILS, so not too terrible.

That's the question and without the CVR and FDR readout, this 'expert' was just making **** up like the rest of us. The crew are the ones who recognized the fouled 'runway', it wasn't the controller that saved the day by magically re-routing the aircraft around the obstacles.

They are canadian. They dont drink that horse-****. Come up with something involving Labatts.
The two summers that I worked at a TV station in Bellingham, WA, near the Canadian border, we got all the Labatts commercials because the Canadian TV stations weren't allowed to run beer commercials!

Pilots were blue with envy when they saw pax sipping a cool refreshing Labatts. Had to have a few for themselves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"The following is initial information on the incident investigation as of July 17, 2017:"
They've formed a committee. (short version)

Back